8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The 2014 East Lancashire Film Fair (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The 2014 East Lancashire Film Fair
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 25, 2014 02:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
The 400 mile round trip would cost me £56 ($92) in petrol. The price per gallon is £5.90. For a comparison, a GB gallon is 4.546 litres whereas the US gallon is 3.784 litres.
However, at the moment I cannot be sure which dealers will be present at the Film Fair, so it could be a wasted journey, six hours total plus the cost of fuel.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2014 03:28 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing i appreciate these days since living abroad is that this is a tiny country and no where is far [Smile]

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2014 04:39 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I'm with Maurice on that-as I don't have a car it'll cost a bit to come from Brum by train; also,one more thing about conventions is the frequency of attending various events around the country. Ealing in October, Blackpool in November,then Bolton in February,then Tadley & Lee's one in April...obviously it's an issue of choice too, you can't attend everything, & as I pointed out elsewhere, yes better have more than fewer! Still, I think the time & money it'll cost to travel gives us folks who don't live nearby the right to some more info-are we asking for too much?...

--------------------
Yannis

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 25, 2014 05:09 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The distance thing has never bothered me Yanis as my own enthusiasm for film always encourages me to make the distance. Travelling what is for me just under a 600 mile round trip to attend Ealing I see as a privilege safe in the knowledge I am fully aware the tremendous effort the team put into the whole event and I can look back over the years to the 70’s having fond memories of all the old events which today money cant buy.

My handout clearly states what to expect at my own effort to help sustain our hobby and as Mr Guest saviour of the North West Film Fair would say ‘use it or loose it’ so I’m with him.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 25, 2014 05:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully respect all the work and loving attention given quite freely to these fairs and conventions by many true enthusiasts, but to encourage attendance we must know what to expect.

Is that asking too much, Lee?

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 25, 2014 08:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,
I do not wish to sound dismissive or cavalier about the travel cost to attend conventions in the UK. Just pointing out how lucky the UK collectors have it in being catered to by so many conventions which are very nearby in comparison to the USA.
The only convention we have is CineSea in New Jersey, which is a heck of a way for anyone living outside the north east area to travel to.
And William is right - a small country does have a lot of advantages.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
You're right. We are lucky to have many events, but the cost of fuel in the US is a fraction of the cost in the UK and being a small country our roads are very congested. Making long journeys over here is not a pleasurable experience. The point Maurice is making and for some vague reason is being avoided by Lee, is that it makes no sense at all not to give as much detail about the event as possible. I wouldn't mind betting that a simple request like the one Maurice is making, would never be denied in a US event.

[ January 25, 2014, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Terry Sills ]

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2014 02:46 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair Lee you know what to expect when you get to Ealing even for a 600 mile round trip,Maurice hasn't been to your event and we've all been to cine fairs covering quite a distance and been disappointed with the amount of films on offer so a valid request,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 23, 2014 02:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As promised here is the first news update for our East Lancashire Film Fair.

For the first time we will be having three programmes of films screened throughout the day.
We will also be projecting with a Xenon super 8 stereo projector
A warm welcome awaits you.

[ March 03, 2014, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 23, 2014 04:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What dealers are coming, Lee?

--------------------
Maurice

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2014 05:36 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'll kick it off
I have a stall booked,I will have on offer;

9.5mm some features and shorts

8mm std silents features and shorts

super 8 shorts

16 mm features and shorts

lamps splicers some projectors

maybe others will list a summary of their wares.

Hope to see you there

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 12:32 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tommy.
A small update in that the event is also going to be filmed and we will be using a Xenon Super 8 Stereo projector for the main film programme. This will be the only cine event in the North West to use a Xenon Super 8 projector and with a brand new lamp just for this event. Konga will never have looked so good on 8mm and in Stereo. [Big Grin]
Bit of a one off what!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 19, 2014 08:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
‘SHOW US YOUR SHOTS’
I have received a number of requests to incorporate a short programme of recently filmed Super 8 50ft (MAX 100ft) films by amateur film makers. As requested these will be shown at the end of the day and must have been filmed within the last 12 months only, this will be followed by a discussion about Super 8 film stock types over refreshments and the rest is up to the film makers to bring some films. We will do our best to show everyone’s films.

Other than that everything is in place for a smashing day with all the fun of the film fair!

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2014 02:10 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hope everything goes well next week lee .at your film fair on Saturday i know it will ,it takes months to organise these fairs

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 13, 2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Working on shift as ever again! can't wait for retirement :{ Hope it all goes to plan though Lee :}

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2014 11:43 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All
For an opportunity to see this film,come to Lee's fair this Saturday.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/LotDetailsPrintable.aspx?intObjectID=5634655

Note how its been catalogued as a "Tape"

[ April 15, 2014, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Tommy Woods ]

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 15, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David it's already manic here and I'm amazed to still be getting phone calls asking if traders can book a table with only a few days to go?

Anyhow, I'm pleased to report the three film programmes are spooled, the great Elmo Xenon AKA 'The Northern Light' is burstin to go also with free popcorn available to those who like it, all booked in traders are attending and all that remains is for me to assure all that can make it will receive a very warm Lancashire welcome.

See you soon!

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2014 11:47 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The event really was outstanding and I heard one collector say "why have I never been here before?" There were plenty of films and equipment in all gauges all at very reasonable prices. Many dealers (with many new ones at that) packed into two large rooms. Lee had organised three brilliant film shows; one on 16mm plus two on Super 8 using the Elmo Xenon. These really were something else and gave all a lesson on how to present professionally. Classic's latest release looked stunning as did a 50' short that Lee had taken on the new 200D film stock. Lee also had an excellent Super 8 short from Chinon, showing their cameras and projectors. It was worth attending for this alone! I filmed the event for Lee on more 200D stock, plus finished off a cartridge of Super 8 of my own. The time flew by and I've never felt a more positive vibe at a crowded film event. This event gets better every time, though I can't see how Lee can improve on this one...thanks to Lee, Val and all of his team for the best one yet. Here's to next year!

[ April 19, 2014, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Simon McConway ]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2014 12:08 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
glad everything was ok I have heard on the grapevine very good comments plenty of bargains to be had also the film shows were excellent .I was told there were plenty of dealers .

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2014 04:09 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
drove up on good friday from worcestershire, traffic was horrendous as you would expect on a bank holiday, stayed at a nice bb overnight. very glad my wife and myself attend. was a good turnout with all film gauges for sale. came away with a couple of 16mm features from tony hutch.lee's film shows were well compiled and very entertaining.suppose we will have to attend next year. well done lee for a well organised and great film fair. best.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2014 04:50 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clyde, can you let us know the B & B details for next year please?

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2014 05:50 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly had to miss it due to work commitments, but it sounded a great day. Maybe next year.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 20, 2014 01:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the kind comments and we did have some very nice remarks as people left the day which makes it worth all the effort. I’m glad we are now including the three film programmes with some of those shown generating much interest from long time collectors. For those not attending, the film programmes were selected to reflect 16mm and 8mm through the years with much film content within them from within the studios and into the cinemas themselves. We were pleased to be able to premiere Classics latest release ‘Cinema Reel’ which looked great on our nine and a half foot screen and the Elmo Xenon aka ‘The Northern Light’ performed admirably I have to say. Quite a few commented on the sound quality being good which is a combination of my own re recording and my Eumig monitor 2 way stereo speakers which were produced in the final days of the company and never seen another pair since.

Our thanks go to all of you who came to support our filmic gathering, the traders who supplied such an excellent selection of items from 8mm to 35 and even a Fumeo pedestal projector! Finally I must praise my wife who does a great deal at the event, with just the two of us arranging and staging the whole thing it is quite a job but marvellous to do something to forward interest in film.

[Cool]

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2014 04:40 AM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to say a huge `thank you` for Saturday`s brilliant event at Acrington Lee. A great event and well worth our first visit. We traveled up from Birmingham encountering little traffic, given it was a holiday weekend, found the venue without problem, no problems with parking and a great welcome at venue pay-desk.
Plenty of all guages. I bought 3 16mm items, Ian found a feature of "Evergreen" and Reg bought a very impressive Bolex machine.
The film show we saw was excellent and well received from a very appreciative bunch of collectors.We determined that a visit to the next meeting at this venue is a MUST.
Very well done Lee.
David

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2014 06:36 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Lee!!

It sounds like you had a great day all round and a new Super 8 release too!!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC