8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Message For Mike Williamson

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Message For Mike Williamson
Oscar Iniesta
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2014 01:37 PM      Profile for Oscar Iniesta   Email Oscar Iniesta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, where is my Star Wars LPP 16mm print?
As I told you I am outside Spain. I have been very busy. Last weeks I discovered you cancel your card payment to Paypal when they reject your dispute against me. I have paid back the money to Paypal but you still have my print.
Contact me as soon as posible.

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 13, 2014 02:06 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask what version this was? 1977 or Special Edition? Anamorphic? And how much were you asking? Finally, why didn't Mike want it (was it not as described?)

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, it's a flat print, and you are correct: The print was not as described. I asked whether it included all opening and end credits, and was told it was complete (though he wasn't sure if it was theatrical or airline version). The print arrived and it was missing almost the entire end credit sequence. (and clearly said "airline version" on the lab leader)

I emailed Oscar with my displeasure that the end credits were missing (I knew it might have been an airline version), and he was not helpful at all. Basically saying since he didn't know whether it was the airline or theatrical version, I should have assumed he didn't know anything about the print (or had even watched it?) and it was my $1200 gamble to take.

This did not sit well with me. I contacted Paypal on Aug 23, 2013, provided them with Oscar's emails regarding print description, and they decided in my favor on Oct 4, 2013. They also told me since Oscar was not being cooperative with regards to shipping the print back (I was not going to spend $150 to ship back something misrepresented to me), I was under no obligation to return the print. It was his loss, due to poor selling and followup with Paypal dispute.

Oscar's claim that he's just now finding out about this because he moved is a bit unbelievable. (He didn't notice when $1200 disappeared from his account?) I just got off the phone with Paypal and they confirmed ALL correspondence with Oscar was via email, and nothing was sent to him physically to a home address. For the record, Oscar is emailing me now from the same email address he sold me the print from. That address seemed to have moved with him ok.

The moral of the story is: Watch the prints you are selling, especially if you are asking thousands of dollars for them, and if you misrepresent an item you sell, it's the right thing to do to take it back or offer a partial refund. Oscar did neither, instead blaming me, and he put me through a 6 week Paypal dispute where I had to spend considerable amounts of time collecting emails between us, pasting them into PDF documents, uploading them to the dispute website, following up with phone calls, etc.

It was a pain. I would chalk this up to lesson learned for Oscar. Had he been a better seller, I would have settled for a partial refund. But now, I'm going to stick by what Paypal told me to do.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 14, 2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for info, Mike. I'll stay clear of this too then

Sonny Young
Junior

- posted January 14, 2014 10:35 PM      Profile for Sonny Young     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you kept the guy's 1K LLP print because the end credits are incomplete.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2014 10:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing will work (I think) is Oscar willing to pay the shipping for returning the film from the USA to Spain. In this Oscar only loose a sort of $150 rather than a total lost for the film.

--------------------
Winbert

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2014 11:35 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A similar thing happened to me with an Australian dealer. He sold a super 8mm feature print of Die Hard 3 delivering a 1200' & 600' reel missing about 1 hour of the end or a 1200 foot reel. Not only it was missing a reel it goes out of sync at a lab splice right at the beginning of a reel. So it was obvious he didn't watch it. So I asked who was going to pay for the return and he let me keep the reels and refunded me most of my money. I eventually sold the reels as they were being considerably more honest about the condition. I think I just about broke even. I eventually picked up a 16mm scope print for less money. Those who sell films overseas should watch and report any flaws before selling and make sure the customer knows what he is buying.

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2014 12:10 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Sonny. I did not "keep the guy's 1K LLP print because the end credits are incomplete."

Oscar does not have his print back because when there was an issue, he chose to behave in a very inappropriate way. Had he said, "I'm sorry, let me pay to ship it back and I'll refund you," things would be much different. He'd have the print, and be out shipping charges. But we are way past that now.

Instead, he was rude, dishonest and combative (6 months ago!), and made me spend hours upon hours, week after week, dealing with an international Paypal dispute, and didn't even deal with THEM appropriately, which resulted in them telling me to keep the print and not deal with Oscar anymore.

He doesn't have the print because of his own actions, not mine. Like I said, lesson learned for him. I am not interested in trying to "make this right" for him, because his attitude to me was "too bad".

I'm also not going to post in this thread or read it anymore. I'm a buyer and seller with a MORE than reputable reputation. The fact that Oscar posted publicly and tried to say paypal "rejected" my dispute is the only reason I even responded.

Oscar Iniesta
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2014 07:55 AM      Profile for Oscar Iniesta   Email Oscar Iniesta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike I told you i couldn´t answer all questions about my sales as I was busy preparing to migrate abroad. You bought and then asked me for a discount or refund that I rejected. Paypal gave me the reason. You cancel your card payment. I gave back money. I want my print in same condition. Contact me and we finish with all this.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 16, 2014 08:04 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please handle this off Forum. The thread is closed.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC