8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Issue 7 " Film Collector " Magazine out !!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Issue 7 " Film Collector " Magazine out !!!
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 22, 2014 04:12 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my copy of Film Collector today.

It is Fantastic. Must be the best cover ever on any Cin`e publication.

A Fantastic hammer montage on the front cover and an interesting Article on Hammer on 8mm in there too etc.

The rear cover has some great posters printed too.

Really great edition and well worth supporting this proper collectors publication.

From Classichomecinema in the UK who produce it and I think Steve Osbourne keeps it in the US or can be from Phil and Co direct and overeas too.

http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds great; just recently posted funds from across the pond for a subscription.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 23, 2014 02:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Phil Sheard is pure genius without doubt and our remaining professional Super 8 shop in the whole UK. [Cool]

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2014 10:36 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as "store front" operations, probably the only super 8 store in the world.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 28, 2014 01:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid Phil had to do some editing to my article that accompanied the Hammer releases list, so regretfully one of the paragraphs that went was one that credited the collectors who provided information that was featured in the list. I hope that one day in future, with Phil's permission, the full text can appear somewhere else. Thanks to all who helped as I'm certain that it's the most comprehensive list of Hammer releases to appear anywhere!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2014 06:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a great mag always look forward to it

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2014 12:33 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great magazine but definitely needs proof reading.

[ January 31, 2014, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Panayotis A. Carayannis ]

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2014 11:47 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
A big tip o' the hat to Phil for putting the magazine together, but honestly I stopped purchasing issues given its need for even rudimentary editing (the lack of which made it a difficult and frustrating read). While I appreciate the fact that the issues are comprised of contributed articles, I believe the content should at least rise above grade school spelling and grammar errors given the subscriber base is (paying) adults.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2014 01:14 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote,

"A big tip o' the hat to Phil for putting the magazine together, but honestly I stopped purchasing issues given its need for even rudimentary editing (the lack of which made it a difficult and frustrating read). While I appreciate the fact that the issues are comprised of contributed articles, I believe the content should at least rise above grade school spelling and grammar errors given the subscriber base is (paying) adults."

"...given its need.." that should be apostrophe, as in "it's", as the "need" belongs to the "it".

"...(the lack of...), etc. Not best to end a sentence in brackets when a semicolon would be better.

"...and grammar errors...", perhaps "grammatical errors"?

"...the subscriber base is (paying) adults...", should be "are paying adults", or "is adult based".

Seriously, John, I'm just kidding with you, but the point I'm making is that perhaps it is tougher than one may imagine to produce such a publication. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 01, 2014 01:51 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob

I agree. At least dat's what eye tink! [Big Grin]

PatD

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2014 01:55 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the spirit of fun, Rob, but "it's" would be incorrect given "it's" means "it is."

It's acceptable to use either "grammar errors" or "grammatical errors" from a style perspective.

"Subscriber base" itself is singular, thus the use of "is" instead of "are."

I totally understand and appreciate the difficulties of producing publications given my career is in communications in Fortune 200 companies. Producing any publication for an audience, though, should require rudimentary review and editing.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Touché, John.

[Smile]

And I will add my apology with this;

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/its

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 01, 2014 10:59 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't argue that proof reading would be beneficial, if someone volunteered and Phil accepted the offer. My Hammer article was a last minute rush and the fact that my checking wasn't as thorough as I would have liked meant that a reference to 'Dracula, Price of Darkness' slipped through! The sort of error that a spell check doesn't help!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 02, 2014 10:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am shocking at grandma but try to make up for it in enthusiasm. Perhaps we could invite all once again to pen something for Phil’s mag about film, your collection, favourite projector and give some input. Only just got my copy but the Hammer issue is certainly classy, the Deanna Durbin PT2 was nice and so wish my late father was still here to read it as he was a big fan. Keiths sorry Keith’s pages are very comprehensive and Adrian I had no idea Twins of Evil was a 400 as well. Well done all of you who contributed.. [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 02, 2014 10:10 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - before anyone wonders about a 'Twins of Evil' 400', that was a 200'. It basically covers the end of the film.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 03, 2014 03:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH did wonder. Used to have the all action 200ftr which was a good little reel for Walton.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 05:47 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pleasant surprise in the post this morning - 'Film Collector issue 8 arrived.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2014 11:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
always look forward to this mag phil does a great job . barry attwoofds article is a great read brings back memories to the hey day of film collecting

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 06:58 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good read getting better with each issue.

One point in Barry's article he mentions Walton Films "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad" This was a Columbia release distributed in the UK by Capital Films. Although it was 4 reels they were released individually. Two others from Columbia were "The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad" & "Jason And The Argonauts". I think these last two were also from standard 8 days too.

Back to Walton. I think they also did a couple more releases on 4 reels. One was called "Where Has Poor Mickey Gone?". Not 100% on this one but "Whirlpool" also pops up in the memory bank.

The last Walton catalogue I have (29) lists "Black Beauty" as 4 reels, could this be a error? Walton Catalogue

Also didn't Perrys Movies also have some 4 reelers at one time? Early to mid 70's.

Thanks for bringing back some collecting memories Barry. Looking forward to part two. Are they a straight cut to follow on with part two, or like the UA releases? [Razz]

And a BIG thanks to Phil and the rest who are featured in the magazine.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 09:40 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear David,

Well I hired a 4 reel version from Perry's Movies many moons ago (1978-79), it came on 2 x 400' reels, it was in Walton boxes, and had artwork, perhaps it was no more than the 4 Columbia 200' extracts put together, or it was either a very short rights deal, or it came out surreptitiously, either way I clearly remember it, as the sound on the print was awful, and not clearly up to Walton's usual standards, and that's what stuck in my mind, even after all these years!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 20, 2014 10:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that shocker well Barry.
Also reminding me of the Tenterden Railway 200ft release, lovely content but a print to make you buy a new pair of specs, then led me to make my own super 8 film about it riding at 25 mph on a moped on a near 70 mile round trip just a couple of years after it opened in the 70’s. Barmey yes we were and possibly still are!
©

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 03:34 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the Mountain Films Columbia release. I bought 1 reel the worst sound and poor image. I sent it back 4 times everyone was poor. I gave up in the end. Only got the one reel on super 8, but have the feature on 16mm. I hope some one some where as the super 8 rental print.

Were the boxes like this  -
but with Walton on them?

For some reason Mountain Films (Columbia & Ken Films) releases were in the main not too good. I have Jason 4x200ft bought from Famous Films Miami this is really good.

One advert for "The Sound Of Music" made a point of the finest American prints and longer.

Barry your right about Walton's sound I think I only ever had one with poor sound. Although I had a couple out of sync, when I sent them to Walton for rerecording I got a new print back, plus catalogues.

One other problem was sideways weave. On these prints if you put your fingers on the edges they were very rough.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 11:56 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear David,

You're asking me to trawl my memory back well over 30 years now, but I must say my recollections of the film I hired are still pretty vivid, as it was among the first ever films I projected, and the box artwork, although similar, was different, I don't know what else to say, I've always remembered it as a 'Walton' release.

The prints that have a little weave are normally those that have been slit poorly, and mostly oversized, I use a little tool called an 'Equilizer' you put it in between 2 rewind arms, feed the film through the little unit, and it cuts it to size, trimming any excess off, it's amazing the results you can get from it.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 04:06 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry. Thinking back to some films I bought, ex-library from DJH. Some of them did come in a different box. 'The Lavender Hill Mob' was in three PM Films and one Derann box. Plus a few I bought recently off e-bay were in the old generic style Mountain Films boxes, but not released by them. Some boxes also have the same sort of box, but with what looks like the front from a 200ft version stuck on.

So it could be from Mountain Films, but in a Walton box especially if an hire film.

Its amazing how time goes by though and the things you remember, my first hire film was 'Kronos' a sci/fi B film, but to project onto a 6 foot screen WOW.

When I first started about 75/76 Derann had a very large library and most features I think were in a brown cardboard box like the 16mm ones.

Get writing part two looking forward to reading it.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 04:11 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Part 2 is written in my 'head' just got to get it down on paper, just a little busy at the moment with my new lists just out, but I'll get down to it in the next couple of weeks!, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, and brought back some memories, that's what I intended in doing it!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC