8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Recommendations on video transfer house?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recommendations on video transfer house?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 08, 2014 05:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got some stuff I shot in college, all on K40 stock. I need to get it transferred, but it must be done in at least native 1920x1080 resolution, preferably without any compression. It is all 24FPS and I need it done frame for frame (not a 30FPS video with pulldown to correct for speed). Also good would be a series of still images.

I found one place with a Rank Cintel, but turns out they only have the standard definition version of the scanner and they just "upconvert" (which is useless). Does anyone have any suggestions?

An absolute requirement is me traveling with the films (must be in the US) and being there for the conversion. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2014 07:11 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try looking at:

mymovietransfer.com

They have done some of my films but they offer many different options and they may be able to help you.

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 08, 2014 07:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

I haven't used this service but FotoKem in the US might be worth looking at as well.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 08, 2014 09:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

The Moviestuff people do frame by frame transfers as well as manufacture telecine equipment. Roger Evans has been a frequent participant in The FilmShooting.com forum, so he speaks 8mm fluently.

He's a Texas sized drive from Dallas, but a pretty short ride from San Antonio if you are willing to fly there.

MovieStuff

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 01:19 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably not fit to your option, because the website in the Netherlands. But perhaps a US company has imported it, who knows?.

I found that FilmFabriek has very good transfer frame by frame.

These are two film transfers that they have done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uchp1vfPzUw

and for specifically 1920x1080 resolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYjchsJSsE

ps: please always set your youtube on 1080 HD to see the best image. Even best if you dowload the film first (with Youtube downloader...google for it) and play on your screen.

I have downloaded it and play on my TV screen, the result is so amazing. Just like taken from 16mm print or even 35mm!!

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 10, 2014 02:02 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MovieStuff does film transfers and they are in Texas [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2014 12:27 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACK AFTER A 5 YEAR HIATUS!!!!

Roger/moviestuff no longer does transfers. I have heard that Justin Lovell @ Framediscreet in Toronto ON http://framediscreet.com/ offers very high quality frame by frame transfers and up to 2K resolution. He basically started doing transfers from lack of satisfaction with other telecine houses. I might also suggest Spectra Film in North Hollywood, CA USA http://spectrafilmandvideo.com/ I do know of two Houston locals using Roger's DV8 Sniper HD units. I bet you could find a Dallas x-fer shop using one also.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, James!

Brad, I helped a friend get an extensive R8mm collection transferred several years ago. We chose Digital Transfer Systems / filmtransfer.com in Northbrook, IL, because it was the only place we could find with decent turnaround time and one of Roger's MovieStuff systems with overscanning and frame-by-frame. The results were excellent. Since then they've moved, changed names to Pixcel, and (if my memory's right) bought a Spirit HD film scanner. See this link for more information. This may be the same equipment as Spectra.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 19, 2014 01:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up buying a Retro-8 from MovieStuff. [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 19, 2014 08:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a nice solution Brad ... I'm all for DIY [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 20, 2014 03:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, good to know you have your own machine now.

Anyway, the best transfer that I have ever found and the best shot made on super 8 is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lgWtv981bg

(ps originally it was on somebody's vimeo, but I rather to slow the motion down so can enjoy the beauty of the film (and the lady [Wink] ) longer)

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC