8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm Chinon projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm Chinon projectors
Vin Collins
Junior

- posted February 14, 2014 11:17 PM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Chinon 400 and Chinon 9500MV.....are these solid models concerning silent and sound projectors? I am trying to buy a EUMIG 824 if I can find one(im hoping the viewer adaptor I have for it will work concerning telecine transfers?)

Also, whats the best way to go concerning buying a basic telecine box? Are they all basically the same? Ambico/Goldbeam etc...? I know SONY made a better quality telecine box...is it worth the money?

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2014 02:03 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the 400, but I personally have never had good experiences with Chinon's. The ones I have owned were prone to scratching films, so they wound up sitting on the shelf rather than getting used.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 15, 2014 01:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if my CHINON 9500 is the 9500 hundred that you have, (I don't know off-hand if there were more than one model of the 9500), but I have not had a problem with scratching, personally. Beyond that, I'm afraid that I can't help you.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2014 01:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vin...Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the Chinon 400 either. I know the 9500 has speed adjustment control...so it should work fine for film transfers. Chinon's are not rated very highly on the forum...but in my experience I have seen film scratching with the lower end models...but not with the higher end. I have 3 Chinon's right now and none of them show any signs of scratching. I like them alot.

If you are interested... I have a couple telecine boxes up on Ebay right now...an Ambico and a Kalimar. There is a video included in each listing to show the quality of the transfers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201037369594?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l26 49

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201038444229?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

[ February 16, 2014, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2014 07:33 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality of a telecine box transfer relies greatly, on the quality of the camera used. The older CCD chip cameras tend to give better results than the newer CMOS chips.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2014 11:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Canon HV40 to shoot the sample transfers.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC