8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chump at Oxford question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chump at Oxford question
Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2014 06:21 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired a Blackhawk 4x400 print of this film and upon screening last night I see a good portion of reel 2 and all of reel 3 are printed quite dark with a loss in sound quality as well.
Anyone with a similar print have these issues?
Still was an enjoyable screening, if a bit jarring to change so suddenly mid reel. And reel 3 is mostly the maze scene which is of course at night so less bothersome.

|  IP: Logged

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2014 07:29 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched a Blackhawk print of this about 2 weeks ago. It had nice steady contrast and sound through out. I felt it was typical Blackhawk quality. This was in the green L&H box super 8 print.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2014 11:32 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old ex-library print of You're Darn Tootin' that does this, which otherwise has good image quality.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 17, 2014 06:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is buying a Blackhawk print a bit of a hit or a miss affair?

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first Blackhawk in the pink box. I have a 2x400 of Beau Hunks that aside from a few lines, is very nice and consistent in both picture and sound quality.
That one came without a box so I don't know its vintage.

Seems to me, most all film print purchases are a bit of hit and miss.

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice. I have tons of Blackhawk Filma and most of them I find to be very nice prints. I am almost always happy with the quality.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2014 02:16 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some stunning prints of laurel and hardy on 16mm cant beat it

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 18, 2014 04:58 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its like any film print what went on at the labs on the day. Who did it. Were they distracted. Were the chemicals old etc etc

Any film, odd reels can be different. I suppose when more was done one day you might run/print reel one, next day reel 2,s etc. Each reel printed has to be set up right whatever.

Its the nature of the beast, and if you buy from someone who hasn`t watched it, or wants thier money anyway its bad luck.

Sadly the film side hobby is far to money biased with sellers rarely mentioning flaws etc.

Best Mark

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2014 10:59 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading an old letter from Derek Simmonds in Movie Maker about the quality of 'The Adventures Of Robin Hood' 3x400ft version. (Someone had written a letter earlier complaining about his copy.) Derek's reply was that they had 3 negatives to print from at 3 different labs. Sometimes the prints got mixed and one reel came from a different lab. This could cause the frame line to be miss matched and a different look to the image.

I'll try to scan the letter and post link here.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC