8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Osi's coring video (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Osi's coring video
Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 03, 2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi sent in this YouTube link to his Coring Machine video, requesting that I post it along with the following stills. A number of Forum members have repeatedly asked for Osi to demonstrate his method and here it is!

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2014 09:51 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful stuff!!! I am constantly amazed by the ingenuity of film collectors.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 10:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the toaster for? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2014 11:03 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, first let me say thank you very much for going through the trouble of putting the video together. I never doubted you, on th contrary I think I got charged up about your method thinking it may have solved something I have long troubled with, but unfortunately as cool as your method is, I think it still leaves me needing a different solution.

I may have to simply make a split reel for Super 8 because the one thing missing from both yours and Winbert's methods was the ability to actually put the film on those little plastic cores...I am sorry it became such a big deal for you, but I do know it is dangerous territory to announce a method of doing anything to film collectors and then not showing it, since we all exist on transferred knowledge... Right? If someone's figured it out already why re-invent the wheel yourself?

So I'll go back to the drawing board with my giant cored films
[Frown]

and don't worry about the nay-sayers, you showed your method which is all you were obligated to do... As much as I was hoping your method was going to work for me, I think it is a very cool method and will work for most people since it is a simply constructed piece since those little ball bearing wheels can be found fairly easily, even if you don't have exercise equipment.

I commend your ingenuity

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 11:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Osi your method looks [Cool]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 04, 2014 12:19 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi well done!

I am afraid some people owe an apology now.

Dino, regarding "the core" you wanted. I trust using a 50' reel as I showed on my video is the answer. You can combine the method that osi has shown and mine. So if you do not have 2 turntables, just follow Osi's method but use a 50' reel instead in the middle of Technicolor cartridge.

BTW, if you can tell me what those little plastic cores can do which 50' reel cannot, I will figure out another solution. I am trying to exercise my creativity here.

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2014 12:56 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 50' reel can't be used with a split reel and the little plastic things can.

Bill [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 04, 2014 01:08 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, what I am asking is the different function of a yellow round plastic thing vs a 50' reel when film has been taken out from the reel.

We are not talking a split reel here, because the idea is to core/recore film WITHOUT a split reel (please read "core" here as a verb not a noun).

If there is something specific and that is really essential, then I will try to find another solution. But if it is because you see 16mm use it, and here is not hence you want it, I don't see that is an essential thing.

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2014 01:41 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then it shouldn't be called coring...to core a film is to put it on a core....maybe you should call your method "winding on a 50' reel"

Isn't this fun?

Bill [Smile]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 04, 2014 02:14 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo! Nicely done. [Smile]
BTW- I met the 2nd voice of Bullwinkle when the company I worked for redid the Rocky and Bullwinkle series for DVD. The 2nd Bullwinkle was from Down Under!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 04, 2014 04:11 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, how about then "to xerox" (American verb for photocopying )...do we need to use the actual Xerox machine...? [Big Grin]

Yes this is very funny!

In fact "Kodak" in Indonesia refers to cameras, no matter what brand they are.

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2014 04:30 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think its a shame to subject films to this treatment and create a higher risk of damage, all for the lack of some reels.
I also think when selling "pancakes" of film the description should be clearer to the average collector than just stating "film is cored"....
"this film is not on reels" would be more accurate....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2014 05:32 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 'Hoovering' up all the comments on this topic.

I would expect to pay a lower price for a film not on reels or spools. Especially the film that started this 'Gone With The Reels'

The only time I ever received super 8mm films not on a reel were optical sound features. These were of course used 'airline prints' they usually had countdown leader at the start with no other starts then the end leader. These were always on a 8mm core.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 04, 2014 10:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback guys!

As for people apologizing, I'm not expecting much, as, people are far more willing to call you a liar, than actually admit they are wrong publicly.

Sorry my little machine can't be a help to you, Dino ...

Oh, to clear up one little thing, I have heard on another forum, that there has been some confusion about one thing, and I'll clear that up.

Some are arguing that there is no plastic core in the middle. No, I don't use plastic cores, though I would certainly want to have some no doubt. Though it does not have a core in the middle, I have always referred to this as "cored" film, because it is simply not on a reel. However, I have heard some collectors refer to this as a "pancake". That's kind of cool, I must admit, but I think that I will continue to call it a "cored film", as, if I called them "pancakes, well, we would have a no doubt 10 page topic and argument about Super 8 pancakes!! [Big Grin]

Soon to come, OSI's collection video. Give me a week or two! [Big Grin]

[ March 04, 2014, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2014 12:19 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its OK to call them pancakes today here in the UK. It s pancake day.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That works for me. Fair Play Osi.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 04, 2014 01:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Because of the terminology, I would ask you to make sure a prospective buyer knows that the film is not wound on a core.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 04, 2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
I apologise to you for not dealing with this issue in private in the first instance, before bringing this up in public and then allowing it to become the big issue it has become.

But, as ingenious as your device is, I cannot equate what you show there with what you say you were able to do with the GWTW print.
However, I will freely admit that I may just be wrong, and I have removed all reference to "dishonesty" in my post on the other forum.

But now.....you, and everybody else, will have to grant that the word "cored" in film circles, refers to film on an actual core, and not film with a hole in the centre.
Consequently, will you do something? Go and alter the wording of your prints on ebay, particularly GWTW, to describe exactly how the film is supplied. "Film is cored" to a potential buyer, means the film is on cores.

I think that, surely, nobody here can dispute that this is the fair and honest thing to do.

Joe's suggestion -"this film is not on reels" - is not enough, though. You should be explicit about how the film will be supplied, ie, with an empty middle where the core should be. Here's your chance to be perfectly honest.

Once again, Osi, you have my apologies for starting this up in public without first engaging you in private.

[ March 04, 2014, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 05, 2014 12:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem Micheal ...

and

ROCK ON!!! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 05, 2014 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not a problem Micheal ...
That's right, as long as you hold up your end and change that listing. If you don't, then we still have a problem, which will be clearly your fault.

[ March 05, 2014, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 05, 2014 08:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you don't, then we still have a problem,
A reservation huh.... [Wink] [Big Grin]

Osi, just put one core and that's it. Nothing then you have to change in the listing.

Or probably using your creativity, find a replacement for that yellow round thingy (intrinsically: a core) rather than leaving the middle of film empty like your video has shown.

ps: If the listing says "Art work cover is xeroxed" (= photocopied), you don't need to actually use a Xerox machine.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2014 08:46 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna start calling you "stretch" Winbert!

Xeroxed - that term went out in the 80's.

Bill [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 05, 2014 08:59 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill I am actually trying to make everything short here by asking Osi just to put the so-called core so we can end this debate.

What about "to google"... but using yahoo instead? [Wink]

No "xerox" as a verb still exist.

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 05, 2014 09:29 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Excellent video whatever you want to call it!

PatD

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2014 10:09 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Stretch, I'll play along....

All recliners are called LA-Z-BOY's even if there not.

Film is cored means that the film is on a core to everyone except you and Osi.

Your turn....

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC