8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » OSI'S challenge .... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: OSI'S challenge ....
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 06:16 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a rest after talking with you Winbert!

I'm glad everyone is explaining what a core is....

Bill [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 08:06 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two ELMO spools were sold last year, if I recall correctly the final price was well over £50. One of the best made.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 10:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can get here I would assume that a core can be anything as long as it is "a physical "something" at the center of something else" (Dino E.)

Maurice L. says that in his years as a projectionist he found "often the 2000' lengths would arrive with a tightly rounded piece of newspaper in its centre."

David O. says "Winbert's picture looks like one that would fit on a super 8 machine"

While Graham R. agrees that a thing on my two photos can be categorized as a "core".

Now, I would like to tell you all that the thing on my two photos above were actually taken from a 50' reel that I have cut using an industrial scissor. If you don't have that kind of scissor, just use your bare hands. Believe me, since the reel it self has already had a core, although you use your bare hands, it will still give a round shape. Try your self and you will see what I am saying.

With everything said above, I would like to suggest to our friend Osi here, that since you have created an amazing home device to spool film using Technicolor cartridge, now give a try to insert my core and spool the film.

If the centre of your Technicolor is too big for this core, then the only way is to follow my method using one (or two) turntable, by inserting R8mm adapter in the middle of the core.

If one turntable is used therefore the other spool is on projector arm as you have shown on your video. If 2 turntables are used, then you can place side by side like has been shown in my video.

With this you will have films on cores as it is suggested by many friends here.

Buyer will not ask whether you wrap film using a split reel or not. Because that is not important.

My 2 cents.

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Cant resist it [Big Grin] ....oh! I am the one on the far left [Wink]

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 12:12 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
core Blimey!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert!!!!

I would LOVE to get some cores from you!!!!! Sorry I missed that before!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote from Osi at the start of this topic.

"Hey, if I'm wrong and I don't have a problem with that, but I would like to be proven wrong before I alter the way I sell"

Well Osi...after everything that has been said on this topic....COMMENTS PLEASE? to your above statement.

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at the end of this whole saga, I think Osi's modus operandi should be pretty clear to all.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 01:12 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even using Winbert's long winded explanation the buyer would still need a home made device to put the film on reels. 'Film is cored' infers needing a split reel to remove from the core. Winbert's home made cores need a home made device to use.

Go ahead Winbert...I'm anxious to hear how wrong am.

Bill [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 04:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I can appreciate Dino's explanation of the usefullness of cores for 35mm film, the whole concept of selling 8mm film on cores is ridiculous. I know I would never buy any 8mm film unless it was on reels.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2014 04:42 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A film taped with masking tape is sure to give trouble if that tape isn't removed extremely soon. Securing a plattered or pancaked film across the film edge in that manner is risky, in my opinion, asking for trouble when the purchaser has residue smear all over the print.

By the way, I chose my terms carefully and accurately. If there's nothing in the center, it's not cored. Proven. If you use the remains of a reel, it's not cored either, then it's just "hubbed" I guess. If you can use a split reel with it, then it's cored.

Let's move on.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would LOVE to get some cores from you!!!!!
Send me a PM, Osi.

Alternatively, Vidar on the other forum offers you a real (professional...so this exist) super 8mm core not a home made one like mine.

quote:
the buyer would still need a home made device to put the film on reels.
Bill, I have once bought film on core and the description had said so. It is my responsibility to find the way how to put the film back to the reel. Buyer may find that by googling (or yahooing... [Wink] ) and he/she will find Osi's or my method on youtube. Nothing complex here, right? except you are a fan of long winding debates.

quote:
'Film is cored' infers needing a split reel to remove from the core
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Do I have to write again "Documents are xeroxed" .... needs a Fuji-Xerox machine? LoL....

This is also a good example "I am zippering"... [Wink]

Further read: web page.

Now this is more a serious explanation. According to the USPO (Patent Body), Split Reel was invented in 1967 by Freedman Myron L with reg #US3432113 A.

On the other hand, according to the history of using "core" in transporting film, as Dino E. wrote previously, it is known:

quote:
The term "core" being used to describe a physical piece of something at the center with film wrapped around it began literally with the original film in the 1890's.

So because at that time split reel was not invented yet, do you want to say that those films were not on core?

I'm also anxious to hear how wrong am.

cheers, [Smile]

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 04:02 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The explanation that "Dino" wrote is "spot" on..

"Even the general definition of the word core stands for a physical "something" at the center of something else."

That's it in a nutshell. Incidentally folks, GWTW was sold by Derann as "Part one mounted on 4/600ft reels", "Part two mounted on 4/600ft reels".

Graham.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2014 05:02 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul To the best of my knowledge I think the the only super 8 films that have been sold on cores are ones that essentially came from labs and never went anywhere else, they are almost certainly going to be optical features. They have filtered into the collector's market over the years...The films that Osi has I believe have had their reels removed by whatever collector he got them from..

Oh and Winbert (just to make sure this never ends and we can continue discussing this for years to come [Smile] ), while I don't want to complicate things for you I do believe that in the world of film, the size and dimensions of cores were standardized at some point in the 1970's by SMPTE, so that all of the plastic cores whether they be for 35mm, 16mm or even super 8 all have exactly the same sized center opening so that they will fit on the same lab machines and printers...I think that is the point they were trying to explain, that while your home made core does constitute a "core" by definition it is not what is normally referred to as a "film core" because it does not follow the normal film core dimensions which (outside of lab and archival equipment) only fit on split reels..

I will look at work to see if I have the SMPTE documents that outline this...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 06:25 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
" because it does not follow the normal film core dimensions which (outside of lab and archival equipment) only fit on split reels..
Dino, Graham's picture shows a core made of cardboard.

What I cannot understand is when we are discussing 'film core', Bill insists to relate it with a split reel. Where in fact, split reel was invented in 1967, while your article says that coring film has been done long time before. How people did it, I don't know, but must be using a different method. So coring film is not related with a split reel.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 06:34 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cores or not already partly mentioned is more the tape and type applied, and how much and where.

I`ve had cored 16mm with loads of very sticky leave behind tape all over it leaving loads of gunk on the film sides etc a few times.

Its a lot better if a core or more film oversized on a small reel to say pop a small piece of tape just on the film end. Then put that in a clear bag etc then add the tape all over and around etc to hold the film.

It can be a going on with 16mm trying to sort a very tapey one without a nasty film dissaster but 8mm I would`nt like to try it at all.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 06:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are details of film cores:-
http://www.nfsa.gov.au/preservation/handbook/preparation-long-term-storage/cores/

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2014 07:08 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Dino. [Smile]

Winbert, no, I'm not a fan of long winded debates and for the record I'm certainly not a fan of yours either.

Bill

[ March 10, 2014, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2014 10:07 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] SIOB! [Wink]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after following this lengthy discussion on three forums, and trying to understand what a film core is, I found out this morning that I do in fact have some film on cores in my own collection! [Roll Eyes] They are three 35mm trailers which I got from the local Regal Cinema a couple of years ago for my film class. Each film mounted on a thin plastic cylinder, the inside diameter of the cylinder measures about 25mm and the wall thickness is about 3mm. The inside diameter also has a thin axial rib feature which I assume is for 'keying' the plastic cylinder to a spool arm. So I assume that what I have is the true definition of a film core. Based on this my definition of a film core would be: A thin rigid cylindrical sleeve used to support rolls of motion picture film and containing a feature on its internal diameter for keying to a spool arm
I would also suggest that a core is only viable if it can stably support the film by itself, that is without any auxiliary attachments in the way of radial ribbing or taping. Clearly 35mm is wide enough to permit stable winding of large footage onto cores. Definately not the case with 8mm which is an unstable equilibrium situation if ever I saw one.
And now I can appreciate where Mike O'Regan was coming from in relation to the tightness of the wind - even the 35mm film is only stable on the core if the wind is really tight.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
[Smile]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2014 10:55 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ay yay yay..

Bill - Not sure if that was some sort of dig at me or not? If it was I'm even more puzzled, but hopefully it was just a "let's end this never ending back and forth"...

Winbert I think the important thing with Graham's cardboard cores is the fact that the center opening matches the standard so that it will fit on all split reels and lab equipment. The outer dimensions are not standardized, there are 2 inch , 3inch, 4 and 5 inch cores but that center hole is the same across the board (even on super 8)

As for the earlier cores I mentioned, if you check the technical literature you will see that there are as many discussions about standardizing the size and dimensions of cores as there are about the use of them..Every camera manufacturer back in the early days had there own size and type of core, which was ultimately standardized to avoid the problems of dealing with a cored film that couldn't be used by multiple people on multiple types of equipment.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 09, 2014 11:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, thanks for adding some info.

I don't have any interest in this core things, until it becomes such a hot debate now. Now I know many things but still am puzzled with these flooding info which contradict one to the other.

Previously Gerard Santana provides a link from Kodak that gives good info about this core issue.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/US_plugins_acrobat _en_motion_newsletters_filmEss_11_Film_Specs.pdf

As you said the diameter of the core may be different but the center opening is the same, i.e 1" (25.4mm). I accept that for today's standard.

But having just a random search through Ebay, I found at least two listings that the core has different size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Force-One-1 997-Movie-Theater-Trailer-2-30-35MM-Harrison-Ford-1-/301110305841?pt=US_Film&hash=item461b92a431

It says:

quote:
The film is mounted on a 1 3/16" core.
The online conversions shows 1 3/16" = 30.162 5 mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DEVILS-OWN-35mm-film- trailer-BRAD-PITT-HARRISON-FORD-/200955966540?pt=US_Film&hash=item2ec9e8b44c

It says

quote:
This is not on a regular 35mm core, it looks smaller, ...
No one made complaints to those listings, btw. For me that is fine, as long as the descriptions clearly say that they are not using the standardized lab core.

Forgive my ignorance, but as a layman, I would think that although the "lab core" is (now) standardized on 1" diameter but there are several different "film cores", aren't they?.

If so, I would say "lab core" is what shown at Kodak's website. But there is also "film core" which the diameter can be various. That includes Graham's film core which is made of cardboard, where I don't know what the size is.

As the time before the split reel was invented in 1967, I would imagine to put film on core, people used flatbed platters, placed side by side, just like the Steenback machine. When they finished wrapping the film, they just upside-down the plater. I don't know, I am just guessing.

Anyway, I think it is the time to put this debate at rest as Osi's GWTW has been sold now anyway.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 12:44 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am now officially exhausted and know exactly what my wife says when she stated "Would you rather be right? or happy?"

...yes every core that has been used in the known universe is not exactly the same therefore Osi and anyone who wishes to refer to their films as being "cored" should continue to do so, regardless of what is or is not at the center. Everyone is correct...Virtually anything and everything is a cored film. AAAAH how did I get myself trapped in this spiderweb, simply because myself and some other wanted to help Osi with how he referred to films he was selling...I need a seriously long forum break.

[Frown]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 08:16 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, I was thanking you for making my point about the cores better than I was and I was telling Winbert that I do not care for his long rantings and I don't like him anymore. Unfortunately I was addressing 2 people in the same sentence.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC