8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 9500mv projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 9500mv projector
Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 10, 2014 03:03 AM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this projector and I am using a SONY telecine box and SONY digital camcorder to transfer 8mm film.....the problem is, I am getting horizontal upward flashing black flicker lines showing up on my camcorder monitor screen when recording thru box....how do I remove these flashing black lines??? I can look thru telecine box and see the film perfectly playing off mirror but when I put camcorder up to telecine box and view film playing thru camcorder monitor screen....I get the flicker....

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2014 04:39 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vary the speed of the projector (if it is variable speed) gradually until the flicker disappears (about 20 frames per second). If it's not a variable speed projector.... you need to use a variable speed one!
As you appear to be involving sound also, this will result in incorrect sound pitch, so you will need to put the resulting Video onto a Computer and change the speed back in an Edit Program.
Easier altogether to Capture Direct into Computer (overcomes your Audio level problem also) rather than try to make a recording on the Camcorder.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 10, 2014 04:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Chinon does have a variable speed control, but it only covers a very limited range.

--------------------
Maurice

Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 11, 2014 12:25 AM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so I guess I have learned the hard way that this very expensive Chinon sound 9500mv projector with all of its high end bells and whistles is basically worthless when it comes to transferring film thru a Sony telecine box and into my Sony digital camcorder due to excessive "flicker" on screen that can't be adjusted/removed...notomention distortion issues with also trying to transfer the audio.....ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON ANOTHER BRAND/MODEL OF 8MM SOUND PROJECTOR I SHOULD BUY THAT WILL NOT GIVE ME THESE ISSUES? IM AWARE OF EUMIG/ELMO/SANKYO but not sure which to buy? THANKS-

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2014 01:04 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any sound Sankyo will do: these machines' motors are electronically controlled (direct current) and you can fine tune the speed with trim pots located inside the machine with a precision screwdriver (be it insulated!).

Some Elmo with same speed control system can be tweaked to run at 20 fps. ALso Eumig, event though not electronically controlled, can run at 20, for example with a Series 900 machine you can get any speed from 18 to 24 as the 2 standrd speed are obtained when the speed control knob is rotated all the way left or right; but inbetween you get what you what. Also with a Series 800 machine this is possible but it's a little less practical because of the way the speed change selector is designed (which is advisable to use only when the projector is in stop mode). So I'd suggest Sankyo's or Eumig 9xx.

As for the sound make sure you use a LINE out or even a headphone socket, not a socket for external loudspeaker, as distortion may occur almost certainly in this case. Have fun!

--------------------
Maurizio

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 11, 2014 03:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vin
This Sankyo will have two internal adjustable speed potentiometers, one each for two different speeds. It should be ideal for transfer purposes.
I have many Sankyos, they are great little projectors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sankyo-700-Super-8mm-Sound-Silent-Movie-Film-Projector-/400675566093?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item5d4a1ff20d

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2014 03:44 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice from Maurizio, but still bear in mind the point about sound. If you still intend to record the sound on your Camcorder you will need substantial attenuation from either Line Out or Headphone sockets.
Out of interest, what sound films are you trying to transfer...
home movies or commercial, 18 fps or 24 fps?

--------------------

Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 11, 2014 09:45 PM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im transferring 8mm sound 18fps ...commercial....old boxing films-

Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 12, 2014 01:01 AM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...just to clarify here, there really isn't an 8mm silent or sound projector that I can buy to do telecine transfers that wont first need a bunch of tinkering with in order to get the speed right? Because so far I have a Chinon silent dual 8mm 4000GL and Chinon sound 9500mv projector....and neither seem to be able to get rid of the flicker effect (regardless of speed)----

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vin,
Categorical answer... there REALLY isn't.

The problem arises from the inherent difference between Cinema (film) technology and TV (Video) technology. At 18 fps the 3 blade shutter of a projector puts pictures on the screen 3 X 18 = 48 times a second. TV (Video) puts pictures on the screen 60 (Close approx)times a second. The difference produces the "Flicker" (12 times a second) which manifests itself in a number of way, including "rolling bars" on the screen.
Since you cannot change the "picture rate" of the Video camera you HAVE to change that of the projector to eliminate the effect,
so you use 20 fps (20 X 3 =60).
This is not too important with silent film, the action will be slightly increased in speed. But with sound film, the sound pitch will increase by 11%, an obvious change.
The only reasonably easy way of solving this problem is by either putting the Video recording into a computer (or by making the recording on the computer in the first place, known as capturing) and then using a Computer Program to both slow down the action and sound, thus restoring the original action speed and sound pitch.
Does this work in practice? Categorically, YES!

Having said that, changing the speed to eliminate the flicker is NOT difficult unless you want everything dished up on a plate. The Eumig sound projectors with model numbers in the 900 range will do this with a manual speed control on the front panel.You simply adjust it until the pictures on the Camera monitor screen have no "flicker". There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of us out here who have been doing it for years.

There ARE commercially produced machines that do all that for you, often modified from standard projectors, but unless you have a very great deal of film to transfer the cost of purchasing one is probably prohibitive.

One can't help but ask... are there no commercial DVDs of the commercial films you are trying to transfer?
Martin

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 12, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Sony DV camera (not HD) have an option for shutter speed and the flickering is gone when I turn this on. My HD camera doesn't have this and isn't as good (a Nikon D3200)

Vin Collins
Junior

- posted March 13, 2014 12:31 AM      Profile for Vin Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin....can you give me an exact model number for a sound Eumig projector or other brand that you would suggest I buy that will allow me to control the flicker effect?? You mentioned 900 series in Eumig models...which one? A model with as many features as possible too?

And also a silent super 8mm reg 8mm projector?? Eumig? Sankyo model number? Thanks-

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2014 04:22 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For preference, Models S932,933 & 934 which have separate feed and take up spool arms and top sprockets for better film transport.
S938 & 940 are similar but have elaborate sound facilities, which make them very expensive,and are not justified .for your purpose
Models S903 thru 912 (with or without a GL suffix), are also excellent machines IF THEY ARE IN GOOD CONDITION. Some have issues with film transport or their very awkward coaxial reel arrangement.
Usual words of caution... make sure it works properly before you buy. And... you don't need a silent machine if you have a sound one, so don't buy both!
Anyone else offer advice re these machines, based on specific model experience, please?.

http://www.super8data.com/ click on the "projector" picture, then ""eumig, then "model number" for machine details

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 13, 2014 05:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 database says the model 933 is made by Silma, unfortunately it does not show a picture to confirm.

If is made by Silma it will be a Bauer clone and will not have variable speed availability.

I have a 932 and I can confirm that it would be quite suitable.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2014 06:02 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Maurice! Vin, remove 933 from list!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 19, 2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also look for a Bell & Howell 11XJ. This is a Super 8mm sound projector with variable speed external controls. I have used it to transfer sound reels. Of course as previously stated you will have to adjust the speed in a video editor after capture.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following up on what Vidar mentioned, it may be a better option to buy a DV camera with an electronic shutter. Electronic variable shutter speeds allow flicker free recording of computer monitors and also film transfers.

Different manufacturers call it by different names. Nomenclature is as follows:
• Panasonic: Synchro Scan
• JVC Variable Scan
• Sony: Clear Scan

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC