8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann Issued Techno? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Derann Issued Techno?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 13, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that too, Dominique, though I don't remember the exact particulars.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2014 02:15 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK businesses have to pay rates on their buildings. Residential have council tax/poll tax/rates.

The council's are that stupid to charge for a floor you don't use rather than use common sense and check that the business is not using the floor. They just charge the full amount. Said business then closes.

The Derann building looks like it was three floors,so rather than take a third less they now lose 100%.

If you look on google street cam with my tongue firmly in my cheek the top floor has the windows bricked up. They used to do that in UK a few hundred years ago due to the window tax.

I still miss Derann.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 13, 2014 06:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was also something about windows in Belgium. Before the vote was like today, one man, ne vote, some people had two or three votes. One of the reason you could have an additionnal vote was the number of windows. So when the law changed, many people bricked up the (now) useless windows. You can still see buildings like that.

--------------------
Dominique

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2014 11:59 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting conversation. I loved the old Techno prints and have many of the warners cartoons. I was a frequent Derann buyer and often bought a film from their used list, that turned out to be a brand new print. They can't have had that many extras or perfect un-run used prints. I came to belive that they were new prints of titles which they held the neg for but not necessarily the rights.

Derann is to be applauded for their loyalty to us for so long when almost every other company had given up the business. The one thing that I thought they would do was continue with their used listings as a one or two man band. I was always missing out on films so they must have had solid support for that side of the biz. It's something that could have continued from a few spare rooms. Oh well, we still have their films that will live on.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2014 02:41 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to be "law abiding" and "legal" you must throw out every rarity you bought as an "import" from second hand lists and immediately destroy all the Chaplin RBC films,wherever you have bought them from! [Wink]

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2014 11:04 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting the way this thread is being highjacked: Technofilm negs to Derann's copyright issues. I'd like to share my views on this, especially after Panayotis's post which sounds short of heresy [Big Grin]

In my video library (DVDs & BDs) all films are strictly original relases; this should put me in the league of law-abiding people. So much so, every time I had to re-dub a film, being it a digest or a full feature, I have always bought the corresponding DVD. When I was awaiting my full-length print of "Raiders" I bought the DVD. Fact is I'd be happy to pay the rights for all the films I own on film if only the copyright proprieotors could tell me how. But in reality, our world is of no interest to them: the various accounts by Derek Simmonds give us the idea that almost no film distributor/copyright owner was interested in our niche market. And since when I pay copyright royalties what I am paying actually is the creative/intellectual work of the authors thereof, ideally I should be OK by buying the DVD/BD alongside the film print of the same title. Regardless of the media I am using, the work of art is the same! So why should I feel short of an outlaw for possessing my prints??? Or does the fact I am using real film and not some digital format entitle the copyright owner to higher royalties than those usually obtained from the DVD/BD sales? I don't think I am self-righteous... What do you think?

--------------------
Maurizio

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 15, 2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio pointed something out : the film market is so small now that the big companies are no longer interested in it as it doesn't bring any (or so few) profits. When the market was there, don't worry for them, they took all the benefits they could on film relases.

--------------------
Dominique

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2014 09:22 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio you summed it up quite well.

The irony is that, in small ways, the super 8 hobby has actually contributed a few dollars to the big companies. For instance, I, like Maurizio, have bought DVD's (for the soundtracks). to movies or extracts that I wouldnt have even wanted if not for the super 8 release.

It seems Derann always went the extra mile to release legitimate material (i.e. Derek meeting with executives from Disney, Fox, etc.). So I wouldnt worry too much about the Derann releases.

On a funny sidenote- I always stayed away from the Chaplin releases from Blackhawk in the 70's, JUST BECAUSE of the contract that you had to sign to destroy the prints in a few years [Roll Eyes] Weird marketing strategy!

James

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 16, 2014 09:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the legality of those contracts is now?

It was an agreement between the original purchaser of the films and Blackhawk that Blackhawk agreed to initiate in order to get the rights from Chaplin (or his estate.)

Chaplin's estate is still in day to day business I'm sure, but Blackhawk is very defunct and many of these prints are second, third and fourth hand now.

I guess they legally shouldn't exist at all, but then again who is going to go to all the time and expense to enforce it anymore? It's not as if they are being commercially exhibited and making a ton of money.

Lawyers are expensive, so people need to choose their battles wisely.

It's the same as that classic discussion we often have about "What will happen if I show commercial prints in front of my wife's knitting club (or whatever)". Conceivably, you could get hauled into court, but is it really worth it to the holders of the copyright? There's not a lot of money to be won and there's the potential of really bad PR when a great big guy sues a little guy for a technicality.

"Walt Disney Studios Bankrupts Local Sunday School: Film at 11!"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2014 11:14 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And all of us not living in America,are guilty for every top quality Laurel and Hardy,Charley Chase etc.in our collections!!!  -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC