8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 optical sound. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8 optical sound.
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2014 11:30 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the subject of super 8 optical sound, and thanks for all the views, has anyone a pic of a section of standard 8 optical sound?
I used to own a japanese projector called a 'Toei' which was both mag and optical. The gate had an adjustment where you pulled a lever and the gate apperture was reduced ready to accomodate an optical print. The size of the optical track must have been large as the gate adjustment easily halved the size of the picture.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2014 12:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing a picture of one of those projectors!

I've only heard of one "bonified" standard 8mm optical sound feature, "Futureworld", as it was offered to me and the seller said that yes, it was in fact standard 8mm optical sound, and I passed on it, (another one of those "What was I thinking?" moments that I wish I could take back!!) ...

but I'm sure that there must have been more prints offered, especially being the year (1976?).

That's an interesting point, offered earlier! I wouldn't be surprised if the optical track for standard 8 might have been slightly larger and may have perhaps offered better sound than the super 8 optical print.

Janice, that's a great shot there! There was once a print of STAR TREK 4 that had two optical tracks on it as well!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 07, 2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double optical track has been discussed here: Star Trek IV double optical track

(ps: scroll down to the middle)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2014 04:00 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of Derann's Pathe Pics in optical sound. I think they did about 6 in total they didn't seem to sell well. I recall they were sold off for about £5.

Powell also did a couple of 400ft cut-downs. I think 'The Sands of Iwo Jima' was one of them. P.M. Films did a least one, a trailer reel.

Also some 200ft for the airlines.

And some UK TV series one The Zoo Gang and Jason King both ITC I suppose for BA.

Plus quite a few features.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 07, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The double sound track that appears to be on my sample film is the movie Izzy & Moe with an Italian sound track. I don't believe my projector recognizes the second track...but not sure. Maybe this info will help explain the double track. [Confused]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2014 06:57 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That seems likely, if these were originally airline prints their equipment may have been able to scan both tracks for an alternative language, or even stereo.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC