8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Nostalga Film Dealers Shops and Now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nostalga Film Dealers Shops and Now
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2014 07:43 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through my old magazines Film Making August 1977 I got wondering what is there now for the old dealers

Here's one Ascot The shop is the one with grey awning Ascot Grill.

Can you remember the dealer?

Plus as anyone got a photo of the shop when they were there. That would be great.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2014 08:08 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Powell Films relocate to Ascot for a while before moving to the west country?

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 07, 2014 10:09 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must have been lovely in those days to have a nice local proper shop with films in.

I think our last one within 30 miles went in about 81 or so.

The locals of Derann were more than lucky. And until 2011 !!! I think I`d have been tempted to sneek in at least twice a week if nothing else just to soak up the filmie atmosphere !!!

Best Mark.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal You're correct it was Powell Films. If its that Ascot Grill it looked quite a large shop for films. Nice.

I think Powell went to Cornwall after this, they were also located in Windsor at one time.

Now a sad view Dudley

How about this one

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2014 01:01 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going to one of Powell Films open days (1980-81) in Ascot, it was a pretty large shop, he had loads of films, but it still seemed empty inside. The last I heard of Tony Powell, he was running a Bric-A-Brac shop somewhere in Cornwall.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC