8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Planet of the apes 1968

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planet of the apes 1968
Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2014 09:12 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the original planet of the apes ever came out on super 8mm as a full feature ,i know it was talked about by derann many years ago but did it actually happen or did someone else bring it out,thanks

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 11, 2014 09:42 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nigel,

Welcome to the Forum!

Unfortunately, the only Apes releases in 8mm were the five 200' cutdowns from Ken Films. A longer (or full length) scope release of Planet has been on my wish list for decades.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2014 10:14 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy with a 400' version with some good trailers at the beginning bringing it to a 600' reel.

A feature would be amazing of course but the above would be fantastic too.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2014 10:28 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie probably has the scariest music score during the opening titles. Great film; the new remakes can't touch this.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2014 11:44 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, thanks for info ,as i thought i have 3 of the 5 200ft cutdowns not in very good condtion but still watchable ,these like so many 8mm films are now hard to find and sometimes when found well overpriced ,i know many years ago derann asked people if they would like a full release i guess it didnt get enough support such a shame they went (i wonder if derek had still been around if hed have found away of keping it going) ,i have another question maybe an easier one to sole .Can anyone tell me where you can buy 8mm empty feature boxes that hold either 4x400ft or 4x 600ft ,thanks

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 11, 2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only possibility that it could exist on super 8 is as a super 8 optical sound feature. Super 8 optical sound features went into official production in 1967, with whatever the film of the day was at the time, 9I have "Point Blank" from 67, and I know that Disney's animated 'Jungle Book" was also a super 8 optical sound feature) ...

so, there is always a possibility. However, I personally have never seen one surface over time, but you never know. That's one I would love as well!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2014 12:02 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the long Scope trailer to Planet of the Apes. One reason it may not have come out via Derann is the availability of good enough pre-print material (i.e. negative or suitable 35mm print) to work from, Derek really wanted to bring "The Robe" out, it was on their list for many years, but this was long before the re-mastering for Blu-ray Hi-Def releases, so this could explain a lot of titles that never appeared.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 12, 2014 12:49 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Derann released a nice scope trailer. I also have a rare but faded promo that runs for about 5 mins, but I have no idea of who released it as it doesn't have the original leader.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2014 12:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a lot of those promo's released back then as, before you had DVD featurettes, the studios would release, mainly for television, those 16MM "making of" promo's, and quite a few of them made it onto super 8. I remember a really neat one made for "The Outlaw Josie Wales".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC