8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Scope for Dummies (at least one)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scope for Dummies (at least one)
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2014 12:23 AM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided I should get a scope lens for my projector. I have a few reels that are scope and while smooshed pictures aren't too bothersome, it would be nice to see them as they should be seen.

So...

I have NO CLUE about getting a lens. I have read all kinds of stuff and my head is spinning. So here's the list of questions.

1. What should I search for on the web? "wide angle lens"? "wide lens"? "scope lens"? "anamorphic lens"? I've seen all of these things but I don't know if they are what I need.

2. My projector is nothing fancy. It's a Sankyo sound 500. I'm pretty sure finding an exact fit would be tough. I think I've read that I can actually place a scope lens in front of my normal lens (or build some sort of device to hold it in place) and it will do the trick. No clue if that is true or not.

3. What should I expect to pay?

As always thanks in advance for any help!

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2014 01:22 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi scope lens and anamorphic lens are the same thing. Most are 2.5 like the Kowa 8z. I have used one of these since scope on super 8 prints were available. For my 16mm I bought a cheap Snakor (I think that's the name) I keep it on the bracket all the time.

Classic sell both the lens and brackets, you could try Phil.

One thing to watch out for they made 1.5 These were for filming only, due to them not full scope. They gave more of a widescreen shape on super 8. By that I mean you still used one lens for filming and the same for projecting. I found the shape more pleasing for my own films. None were commercially available to my knowledge.

Classic

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 02:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The squeeze ratio of an anamorphic/scope lens is 2X, i.e. the width of picture is twice that of normal picture width.

The figure of 2.5 (usually 2.55) is the ratio of width against the height of the picture.

The lens you are thinking of, David, is a Sankor.

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 02:40 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I love these, but they're heavy and need a good bracket, so if you can make one yourself, it's a super lens

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rectimascop-48-2x-Rathenower-Optische-Werke-Filmtechnik-/171329629758?pt=DDR_Ostalgie&hash=item27e40aae3e

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 03:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad
Be very careful of what you buy, there are dozens of 'scope lenses available on eBay, most of them at an attractive price. However, these are all redundant lenses from scrap 35mm use where the cinema had gone digital. They can be used but because of their weight would need a special mounting assembly in front of the projector, they would be too heavy to attach to the projector itself.

The small 'scope lenses which are suitable can be quite expensive, probably around 100 English pounds or more (in excess of US$160.)

Some Super 8 projectors often have holes for adding accessories such as a daylight viewer, these holes can be used to attach a lightweight 'scope lens in front of the basic lens.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 03:31 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I just obtained a Proskar Ishico 2x scope lens which fits the attached scope adaptor supplied with the Beaulieu stereo perfectly.

It is quite heavy but not AS heavy as the Kowa and has a smaller rear barrel which enables it to fit inside the fitted scope adaptor perfectly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 05:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have fond memories of the Proskar which I bought new in 1968 for 'scope showing at my Film Society. It cost 19 guineas (£19/19/0) plus a small amount for the adapter ring to screw into the 2" lens of my Bell & Howell 652.

The only (small) problem was that as it screwed into the backing lens it needed to be installed before the audience arrived, because it nearly always needed a slight twist of the two lenses together to get 90 degree corners on the screen.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 08:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you would pay a bit more than that for it now Maurice, that's for sure!

Mine just sits clamped into the adaptor ring fastened onto the projector so the screw thread is redundant when used in front of the projector.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 05, 2014 02:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad

In answer to your question number 2, the answer is yes. The anamorphic (scope) will have to be positioned in front of your basic lens to provide the expanded picture.

You say you have a Sankyo 500, I have a 501 which, I believe is cosmetically the same body. An inspection of mine reveals no holes at all which could be used for attaching the scope lens, there is a fixing hole just round the back which holds the back panel on. This, however, does not seem a feasible idea. Nor can you attach the scope lens directly to the projector's existing lens.

The only answer is to perhaps make a base board for the projector to stand on but which extends further than the lens. Then make an upright of some sort which can contain a clamping arrangement for the scope lens.

In this country it would be possible to make use of parts from a Meccano set, possibly called Erector in the US (or similar), this is the best way to proceed but bear in mind that the scope lens would always need to be in a direct line with the projector's own lens.

--------------------
Maurice

Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2014 12:19 AM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info/advice everyone. I think I may have solved my problem. Will let you all know ASAP!

Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2014 09:17 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was wrong. Picked up the incorrect lens. I am seeing some on eBay marked as "Super wide" is this right? Sorry for my ignorance everyone...

This one?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 11, 2014 12:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, this is out of topic but is (or was) "guinea" a common word for "pound" ? In Egypt, they use the Egyptian pound as currency and I always wondered why they called that "guinea" when they were talking together in Arabic.

--------------------
Dominique

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2014 03:38 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Term is a remnant from the times of the english occupation.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 11, 2014 03:52 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, you should contact either Phil at classic home cinema or Paul Foster Films or Barry at Indi 8, these three dealers usually have one and if they don't they usually get one before long, if you buy one on eBay you will end up paying over the top, (unless you are lucky), you certainly wont regret getting one once you see that picture opened up as it should be. [Wink]
Oh, and also Ian at Perrys Movies.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2014 05:18 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Guinea" is English. It is "One pound + one shilling" i.e 5% MORE than a Pound. Was common actual currency up to about 1800 ....the actual coinage disappeared, but transactions in Guineas were common up to after the Second World War.
Some UK Horse Races still bear the names (e.g. "One Thousand Guineas", etc.) but the prizes for winning are no doubt much greater.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 12, 2014 12:28 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Martin !

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 12, 2014 02:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
19 guineas, usually in a dress shop, would actually be 19 pounds plus 19 shillings. That's almost 20 pounds.
It's a sellers trick often now used such as £9.99, i.e. one penny short of ten pounds.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2014 11:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the guinea was originally used for auctions where the 1 shilling was the auction house commission (5%). This meant the amount bid in in guineas was the amount, in pounds, that the seller got. It save a lot on arithmatic.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing to see all you can learn on Internet ! Thanks.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 15, 2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyway, back to the scope lens's, did you try the dealers yet?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC