8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Need optical sound help...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need optical sound help...
John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2014 06:26 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an HD M/O but can't get the optical to work. I've taken out the sound drum and cleaned it; replaced the exciter and positioned the drum so it's aligned with the filament on the lamp. I have an original ST 1200 M/O and the optical works fine on that. I've scrutinized the optical area on that machine and made sure everything was exact on the HD as the 1200. It's not the print I've used since I've run it on the 1200 M/O and playback was fine. The magnetic is fine on the HD and since it is, the optical track should be aligned with the main sound head as the magnetic is. Anyone have any thoughts on what I may have missed? Thanks--John

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2014 08:21 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John,

I can send you troubleshooting steps along with schematics if that will help you.

Jon

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2014 09:19 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon,

I already have the service manual for the HD and I've done everything it dictated except removing the main sound head which isn't the problem; unless you're referring to another source?

Thanks

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2014 08:41 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I have an ST-1200HD M/O TC (telecine). My optical was not working either. I sent it to Leon Norris. I sent him a lot of replacement parts from a parts machine, including a sound lens and solar cell chip. After much troubleshooting, it turned out to be the pre-amp section of the amplifier had gone bad. He replaced the IC or whatever the part was and the sound returned. I've had a sound lens go bad on one of my ST-180 ETC projectors. It became clouded or stained and would not pass light.

My problem now on my ST-1200HD is the sound lens alignment has gotten off and it's tough to realign. The parts are so small and adjustments microscopic in nature. Getting the lens angle correct using the three screws is difficult. Then you have to have the sound lens focused correctly and the exciter lamp lined up perfectly. All this needs to be precisely aligned to get clean, full, undistorted sound. It's so easy on a 16mm projector.

--------------------
John Hermes

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2014 01:50 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if exciter lamp is switched on and sound lens clear and in original position and mag. sound playback is good, then 3 faults remain:

1) defective optical preamp, as already mentioned,
2) broken photo sensor, is 0.4mm thick,only and very brittle!!
3) faulty switch,

Hint: Note that voltage to exciter lamp is increased as soon as film transport is turn ON. Bulb gets lighter,easy visible.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC