8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo Stereo 800 question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo Stereo 800 question
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 09:34 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if somethings wrong with my machine, so want to ask, what does your machine do when rewinding? The lever in front, just doesn't do anything. Rewinds the same speed with it up or down. Is mine not doing what it should or is it just for good looks?

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Switch main control knob to motor reverse.
2) Flip up rewind lever.
So says the manual, perhaps it is important to do it in the above order?

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 10:38 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought, but there's no speed increase or anything different.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 11:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it still rewind the full film, or does it slow down and stop before it completes the rewind?

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rewind lever was intended to override the clutch, effectively locking the motor and reel together. However, it was a weak point in the otherwise excellent Sankyo design, as it tends to slip as it is taking up the load when you first turn the motor to rewind and eventually this slippage causes the function to break down. Then you're left with a projector that rewinds just like any other.

With mine, I tend to flip the rewind lever over once the reel has got up to speed and then flip it back again immediately you turn the motor off (or before), this helps to prolong the life of this useful function.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I would say the lever boosts up the motor's torque, by adding a couple of gears to the mech which enables the feed spool arm to spin. Vidar, there is no increase in speed intended in the first place, just torque. If you want a factuak demonstration, try to pinch the spindle with your fingers while it is spinning (no reel) so much so you can just stop it, then use the other hand to lift the lever: you will see the "strength" of the projector will increase and the spindle will possibly resume spinning.

--------------------
Maurizio

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 01:54 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super, then it sounds logical :-) Thanks

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC