8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Nostalga Time Again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nostalga Time Again
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still sorting though of loads stuff and I thought these would be of interest.

- The Duchess And Dirtwater Fox

-

-

-

-

I rented most of the titles from FDA (Film Distributors Associated). I would say that the quality was fantastic. Remember at that time about 1977 ish the titles you could buy were mainly abridged features, and some were also 'B' movies and even 'C' or 'Z' titles.

I used to have a fortnightly show at Green Park care home, and it made a great change for the residents to see a film on the big screen.

FDA were the 20th Century Fox & UA for 16mm. Rank and Columbia/Warner also had super 8 for hire.

Officially that price was for ONE screening, but I used to book them for Friday night to return on Monday. I did get more than than one screening in.

Did any of the 16mm distributors in other countries do the same?

I have a few more scans to put up later.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 17, 2014 02:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a 16mm film society in the 60s and 70s and we always included many films from F.D.A.
Their prints were of the highest standard quality, single showings then were approx. £10 - £12 as I recall.
Louis Malle's "Viva Maria!" (1965) with Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau was a bit hit with our members.

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2014 04:12 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never hired any 16mm I was super 8 only at that time. But looking back to the fantastic prints I hired on 8mm, 16mm must have been awesome.

Off to Sutton On Sea soon, guess who's shop's on the way? Not get to it till Tuesday though.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 17, 2014 01:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really astonished by this! It seems amazing that a distributor would be printing and hiring out Std prints - and NOT Super 8 - of a 1976 feature like "The Duchess...'. I wasn't collecting at the time but I'd be interested to know if people who bought or hired sound films on 8mm in 1976-77 feel that there was more demand for Std 8 than Super 8. I thought Super 8 was dominating the market by then.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2014 05:51 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I'm pretty sure that 'standard' referred to the print ratio. They used the terms scope and standard meaning 'flat' throughout the catalogue.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2014 06:38 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes from the format there are 2 hire code numbers for 16mm (scope and flat) then it mentions 8mm with another number for that.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2014 02:22 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the 8mm were super 8 and were flat. None were in scope, but they were stunning prints. The cat number was different for scope in 16mm, but the flat just had 8/ in from of the number

I hired quite a few from FDA they only did films from Fox, they also had a Movietone 200ft B/W for sale.

Ah sheer bliss

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 19, 2014 02:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for pointing out my error - I suspect the combination of the word "Standard" and the lack of references to Super 8 may have caused one or two other people to have become confused at the time.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2014 03:48 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they did cause a little confusion in the catalogues. Their advertisements always mentioned them as super 8 though.

Although they were listed in the main 16mm catalogues they were hard to find, they did print an insert listing.

The funny thing I don't think they did enough to promote the super 8 titles. I have wondered, both how many were printed and how many times they were actually hired out.

Here we have one from Columbia

-

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2014 11:50 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did people actually rent Super 8 for public screenings? I remember many 16mm companies in the US like Kit-Parker-Films, Films Incorporated, and Sawnk, but I don't remember any 8mm offerings, though they did offer Castle Films digests in 16mm.

I never attended any 8mm screening (to the public) that didn't consist of public-domain titles.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 22, 2014 03:25 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think 8mm prints were available for public screenings. The resolution does matter.

8mm is for home use only (for certain cases it was expanded to airline use, which is obviously public, but has home screen size)

--------------------
Winbert

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2014 05:09 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are Columbia/Warner terms

-

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 22, 2014 06:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most 16mm libraries had special terms for public exhibition, usually discussed with one of their representatives, as I did when doing public exhibition in the 50s.

My terms were less than the private hire fees listed in the catalogues!

One advantage of exhibiting for public shows was the availability to have 16mm prints not long after their release on 35mm, the one important caveat was that your hall had to be over two miles away from the nearest 35mm cinema.

If the feature ran under two hours you could have shorts included in the fee to make up a two-hour programme. Indeed, MGM had special two hour programmes already made up for public exhibition with their new feature releases.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 22, 2014 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember in the UK, back in the 1950's, there were high street photo shops and chemists in almost every town that had 9.5mm film libraries. I used to rent 9.5mm films most weekends, and I do not remember any restrictions at all on public showings of any of the films from Pathescopes vast 9.5mm catalogue.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2014 01:36 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few more that were available on super 8

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I recall when these releases came from all three companies, I couldn't believe how good super 8 could be. I would say they were the very best prints from that time (late 70's). It took Derann to match the quality in the mid to late 90's.

I would like to know if anyone other than me hired any the these titles. In super 8 of course.

[ August 22, 2014, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: David Ollerearnshaw ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC