8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Putting features onto larger reels question.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Putting features onto larger reels question..
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
I have "Gone with the Wind" on their original 600ft reels. I want to put them on a larger reel so I don't have to keep getting up to thread each reel. When you members do this, do you keep the original heads and tails around so that you can put it back to its original configuration in the event you decide to sell the films?

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 01:17 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan

I keep everything in case I sell the prine and the buyer doesn't have a large format projector. Plus I think it adds value to the print if you have original heads and tails and boxes.

PatD

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Rik. I do.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2014 02:52 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!Rik.i do also keep my all features in large reels,and keep their original leads and tails,in my opinion it,s more comfortable to runn the film with out many stops,that will keep the audiences atention,to a 4 hours film to make na intermission it,s fine but stop the projector every 30 minutes,,, [Frown]

luis caramelo

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Rik, I think GWTW will just about fit onto 2x Beaulieu (Posso) 2300ft spools giving you just one interval after 4x600ft.

--------------------

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2014 03:05 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi., Alan, I also do as Pat does ,so that if i ever need to put the film back on to small reels it will have the orginal leaders and tails.I do not like getting film that does not have the original L's and T's Alex.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 03:47 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 of the Beaulieu reels. Unfortunately that means I won't have a take up reel! Oops. Should have thought about that predicament.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2014 04:51 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too much prefer to have a feature on one spool. The max I can use on a projector is 2400ft Fumeo 9139. I can go larger with the Spondon arms though.

I think the best one I had when I could only go to 1200ft was Goldfinger. This had a great point to change spools.

As to the leader and tails I did put them in a box for safe keeping, but never having sold any of my films, and I don't think I ever will. I have never had to find any.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Get yourself a few more Rik. You will really enjoy the benefits of showing films this way!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 05:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess I am the odd man out here, as I prefer, for the most part, to keep my features on 4 x 600ft reels. This is probably due to the fact that most of my features are MGM musicals, and I really like to sit down and enjoy just a favourite 30 minute reel of musical numbers from these films. And I like to be able to show my films of any of my projectors and some of them can only handle 600ft reels. I do however have a few features mounted on 2 x 1200ft reels and on 2 x 800ft reels.
But for public shows, I always mount everything up on 1200ft reels. I have all my leaders and tails thrown in a shoe box, but I have never used them as I prefer just black leaders and tails.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul, there is nothing wrong with either way, it's all just down to personal preference. For me I just love to watch a feature as you would see it at the cinema with one interval break at most.

[ September 07, 2014, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 06:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with that either Andrew, and you have the projector to do it, your beautiful big reel Beaulieu which is the epitome of a professional machine.
These days it is rare for me to sit thru a full super 8 feature, and my film viewing tends to be more like Desert Island Discs, so 600ft reels work out better for my personal screenings.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 06:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to sit through that copy of Shane you have Paul! What a feature

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 06, 2014 08:24 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes "Shane" on the Beaulieu HTI is gorgeous. That is one beautiful print and for me..the only way to see it. Real film!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 07, 2014 01:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It would look sensational on even the biggest of screens with that light cannon of yours Rik, of that I am certain!

Going back to your original question, my method is to keep the original reels and spools (where applicable) or the boxes I have made myself with the 1200ft or 800ft spools inside them, in my film library. On each individual library reel I wrap the appropriate lead or tail or both where applicable.
Then I mount the full feature onto one or two of my Beaulieu 2300ft spools and leave it on those reel(s) in their cans until such time as I decide to "free" those reel(s) up again.

I have 12 Beaulieu spools so far, so I have around 10 features made up at any one time ready for screening. When I get fed up with those ten, I simply return them to their original or made up library boxes and do the same for another 10 features. I find this system serves me really well and by having quite a few of the large reels, means you don't have to keep taking films on and off reels so often.

12 of these 2300ft spools has so far proved sufficient for my needs, but as the library of features increases I will try and obtain a few more of the large reels again so there are not too many swaps and changes, however they must come with the square cans for me to be interested in buying them (not all that are sold necessarily have the cans) in order for my system to continue to work in the manner it does now.

I even print out A4 laminated glossy artwork replicas of the original artwork onto the square Beaulieu cans for each of my films and temporarily attach them to the can with Blu Tack just so I know what is in each can and to make the cans just as attractive as their library counterparts for when the appropriate screening time arrives.

It sounds like a lot of hassle and effort I know, but once everything is set up it is a really organized system that works really well for my needs and after the initial printing of artwork etc, it is just a case of cutting and splicing another 10 films every 6 months or so. Plus I only ever join features so the rest of the collection just stays as is in it's original box within the film library.

Prior to obtaining the Beaulieu, I got in the habit of trying to mount every feature I had onto it's own 1200ft or 800ft spools with their own boxes and artwork. This worked out far more costly and time consuming than the method I use now, so I much prefer doing it this way nowadays.

[ September 07, 2014, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 07, 2014 02:21 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok! I did it. I sat through the entire "Gone with the Wind" feature. I put it on 4 x 1200ft reels and man..that is a beautiful print. Stunning and I saw GWTW almost 10 years ago on DVD and I don't remember anything about it. Seeing it on the big screen was like seeing it for the first time. And being able to NOT have to change reels every 600ft was a blessing. I much prefer seeing the feature with the least amount of breaks.
Thanks for all the replies. For now..I'll have to break it down and then piece it back together on large reels once I have more reels. Andrew..does that mean you have 2300 ft capable rewinds? I had to use the 1200ft because that is the maximum I can use on my Goko Editor.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 07, 2014 02:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I can of course, use my Spondon long play arms for rewinding when a clean is necessary,but for the most part I just rewind on the Beaulieu projector. It is rapid on rewind and can do 2300ft in under 2 minutes. You have to keep your hands well clear, it would probably take the end of your finger off as the film rewinds towards the end! I doubt it would pass today's Health & Safety legislation's ha ha.

I do all my joining once spliced using the projector.

Yours must be the same I presume Rik?

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 07, 2014 07:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A tip...always splice the removed leaders and tails to the end of the large reel. This way they never get lost.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 07, 2014 10:27 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great tip Brad...Thx [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2014 11:40 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have 1200' capacity my viewing habits are now suited to small breaks, instead of a full 1200' foot reel at a clip.

I used to splice several trailers onto a larger reel but now I just thread a reel at a time through the GS and continue it onto the one 1200' pickup reel.

I've become too lazy to splice the reels together and then break it down again onto the original reels because I'm usually watching the films by myself.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2014 10:52 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep to 800ft. they are easier to handle,and I am totally taken by my latest projector,a Bauer t50,it just handles the film so nicely,and it has never messed up when threading,just does it every time.
I also never seem to have the time to sit down for more than around 40 min, ie 800ft.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 14, 2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy both. I can Watch small Pathé Baby carters of about a minute each and rewind them after viewing and I also like to Watch films without a break, so I put features on one spool.

--------------------
Dominique

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 12:49 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this topic because I'd like to find a LPU and large capacity reels one day when I can afford it. This is to Andrew, I noticed your post about Beaulieu square cans. I'd be interested in finding them for storing; I already store 1200' reels in square cardboard boxes with artwork on them. But, I'm cautious about metal. I wonder how breathable these Beaulieu metal cans are. Will they not cause VS or color fade?

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daniel,

Film fading as an aging issue when movies are storaged in typical Beaulieu square steel cans in not something I have to report yet after 30 years.
Also I put a thick paper inside (or cardboard )box, anyway not sure that change anything......

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 28, 2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if Polyester prints of course Daniel which is 90% of what I have.

I do have around 3 or 4 Acetate reels in these cans though, and so far at least, I've never noticed any smell from any of these but to be honest I only generally use these spools as a temporary arrangement and they all have plastic or cardboard library boxes for storage purposes after I've finished screening them a few times.

That is until I decide to do the rounds again with any particular film.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC