8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 18-5L - DIY Lamp Conversion (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bolex 18-5L - DIY Lamp Conversion
Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 09:15 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i took the plunge and bought a couple osram bulbs and a QLV-1 from ebay for the conversion.
Nothing ventured...nothing ventured!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2017 10:43 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with all parts now in house, and some elbow grease...

Success!!!

This worked out great following your advice Janice!. This is just a crude bracket i made, but it works enough for now.
 -

-

So happy to have this working again!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2017 01:18 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Matt! I'm glad that it fit!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 02, 2017 02:13 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Matt! I knew you could do it. Nice bracket retrofit there. I couldn't quite tell from the picture what the bracket was or how you attached it to the QLV-1. Could you explain a little more in detail and do you have another picture other than the closeup?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2017 06:32 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

The bracket in question Janice unfortunately I am unsure exactly what it is, i took it from my 'i may need this thing one day' drawer...if memory servers correct, it looks like i saved some parts from when i installed some blinds. The hook thing that you attach to the wall to wrap the blind pullstring around..this is what i believe this may be.
I used two pliers to bend it to follow the shape of the qlv-1
and then drilled to attached to the left over original bracket.
 -

-

-

-

-
There is a problem however that must be mentioned before anyone wishes to proceed with this bracket.
Barry also asked me this question, so please be aware that
I cannot close the lamp cover completely. It is close, maybe out about 1/2 centimetre or so, but enough to prevent full closure. This allows some light to escape.
 -
For us, this is still an improvement from using the expensive robot bulbs, but i think another bracket may be better in this unit. There is no room to 'shave-off' any metal from the bracket to suit unfortunately.

Lastly, I am finding that after just 1 or 2 films(400') shown, the case area gets extremely hot to me. I am used to the elmo and didn't have the original bulb working long enough to compare, but i am wondering if this may be why some people have chosen to try LED?

[ September 05, 2017, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Mathew James ]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 03, 2017 09:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice

When I got mine it never had a power cord, however I did find one that fits and will provide you with an earth. All I know is that it is marked as coming from a Rollei projector. I have no idea if that means a movie or slide projector. The cord does fit and has three wires... live, neutral, and a green earth. Just to check the earthing, I put a meter across both the leads and from the projector itself to the earth terminal on the plug...its earthing alright. Anyway its the only lead I have found that fits the projector...must be rare..The earthing is the same as you would get, with many makes of electric jug...it slides against the earthing contact on the projector itself when pushing it in.
 -
 -
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 03, 2017 11:10 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham! This is very good to know Graham even if those cords are hard to find. It does offer an alternative if the original cord is missing. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 03, 2017 11:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just after posting those photos Janice I came across what might be is the real thing. It fits like a glove and the spring loaded steel strips after checking with a meter it is indeed the earth.

I was surprised to come across this cable [Eek!]
 -

The next time I am in town I will call into a electrical supplier with this sample and see if they are still made. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes please do post if you find a source for these cables Graham. I have a working cable for my 18-5, but it is not the real thing.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try Bolex, Paul ? I know they are not cheap...

https://www.bolex.ch/NEW/index.php

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 04:13 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick update, unfortunately the folk I talked to at the electrical suppliers say they are not avaliable, and added that type of socket with that type of earthing are now illegal and have not been made in years. I think there was a certain amount of doubt, that with age etc that making a good earth contact might become a bit iffy.

I had another look around at the Heritage park today at the old projectors stored there, but so far I have been unable to find another one.

If I do find one "Paul" you can have it. I will keep an eye out for you, now I no what they look like.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC