8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Member

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Member
Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2014 08:54 AM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Duncan has chosen to delete his post.

[ February 01, 2015, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 04, 2014 09:00 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the magic world then :-) Film has this magic feel for me at least, so hope you'll get the same love from this.

Enjoy and hope you decide for a sound projector later on, it's well worth it

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2014 09:43 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim, great to see new people joining the hobby. I only started collecting about 5 years ago. I was at an antique store and I happened across 4 old comedy 8mm films (Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, etc). I thought it would be awesome so I picked them up and then I ran over to another antique store a couple weeks later and found a projector. Well it took about 6 months until I made the leap into sound films.
All that said, this forum is full of great people that have always been willing to help me along with "stupid questions" and even spare parts.
I think that is a great idea to get your nephew involved. My oldest daughter loves old films. I don't know to many other 4 years olds that ask when a movie is being put on (whether it's DVD, VHS, or 8mm) "does this have talkie sound or is it a silent?" [Smile]
Beware though, buying films can become addictive [Wink]

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2014 10:23 AM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim,
There is nothing quite like projected film. Welcome to the forum. - Clay

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 04, 2014 11:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Timothy. You will love projecting films ! don't hesitate if you have any question...

--------------------
Dominique

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim, welcome to the hobby, projected film is addictive. My story is the following. When I was a kid we had a Bell and Howell silent projector, this was in the seventies before VHS, Laserdisc, etc. (I am now 45). I really loved the moments we spent as a family watching family films and a small collection of shorts, most of them Disney. The Bell and Howell died some decades ago, but the films were let on a bookshelf untouched for years. About 5 year ago I decide to buy a new projector (ELMO ST1200HD) and I rediscovered the magic of super 8mm. I had the opportunity screening the old family films and many "new" ones to my father before he passed away two years ago, those moments where magical for my father and mother and I will cherish them forever. I don't think the experience had been the same if we had been reviewing a VHS tape. That's the sort of magic that comes form cinema. Now I have other super 8mm projectors, a regular 8 and a 16mm ELMO AL. Hope I can get a portable 35mm someday. My collection grew from a few shorts to hundreds of films, in the last years I have given away part of my collection to friends who are new to the hobby, it's really pleasing when you find people that share the same interest and what to keep the hobby alive. Now I have a 1 year old kid, I just hope someday he will take the torch.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear from ya, Tim. Enjoy this wonderful hobby that has hopelessly enslaved so many of us! [Big Grin]

(and aren't we happy to be so?!!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Tim,
you may also want to find a local photo shop that will service your machine they are far and few nowadays but there are a few that still do. and as long as they do not sit around for years they will last a while without to much maintenance.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 05, 2014 06:07 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Ask away as many times as you want. We were all newbies at one time.

PatD

[ October 06, 2014, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 05, 2014 10:00 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this great "thing of ours". Sounds very Mafia doesn't it? [Smile]
Look around and you will find everything you need to know and maybe a thing or two you didn't want to know! But its a great hobby that will bring hours of enjoyment to you . This is one of the few forums i check daily. And on some days...hourly! [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 05, 2014 11:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Timothy [Smile] I just past my 3rd year anniversary being in the hobby and a member of this forum. I have learned so much from the gentlemen here and try to pay it forward whenever I can.

Have Fun [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2014 08:55 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A warm welcome to the hobby & forum Timothy! [Cool]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 06, 2014 04:38 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, you must have made a mistake or I must be misunderstanding your message. I cannot believe that you started the hobby only three years ago as you seem to be so expert ! Most of the projectors have no secret for you. If you only started three years ago, you must be a genious !

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 06, 2014 05:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] No mistake Dominique...just three years. I just have a lot of time on my hands since retiring... and I can't seem to pass up buying projectors and learning how they work. I'm obsessed or maybe more like possessed. [Roll Eyes] [Eek!]

--------------------
Janice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 10:53 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
Obsessive/possessive - the two adjectives that just about sum up this hobby!& A warm welcome to Timothy. You will find all the help you need and more on this forum.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 3 year Anniversary Janice for joining on September 2011. You are a credit to this forum! [Wink] [Smile]

And Timothy welcome to the forum and happy to have you on board!

[ October 07, 2014, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Roger Shunk ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 07, 2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 07, 2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys...and Timothy I hope you have as much fun with this hobby as I have [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2014 11:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what wonderfull coments guys

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC