8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig P8 Series Advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig P8 Series Advice
Andrew Gould
Junior

- posted October 05, 2014 03:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Gould   Email Andrew Gould   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the world of 8mm. I have recently purchased three Eumigs: A p8, a p8 Imperial and a p8 automatic.

All three seem to work for the most part. Although I would like to service them.

I have noticed that the fan blades in all three seem to be fouling on the assembly somewhere. Is there anything I can do about this? The squealing is not a pleasing sound.

I wouldn't know where to start when taking them apart. Is there a service manual available somewhere?

I'd also like to know if it's possible to replace the little flap/ clip that keeps the film reel on the spindle (if that is the correct term).

Regards,

Andrew

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 06, 2014 02:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oldtimer Cameras here in the UK can supply various manuals on the P8 and its brothers,
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/stock/Model.asp?Model=3621&ModelPage=true

--------------------
Maurice

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2014 05:58 AM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew. I am new here to the world of 8mm film as well. I only have one projector and it only runs silent films, so I am "beyond the Waltons" as someone put it to me yesterday. Welcome to the hobby and I sincerely hope that you can get your machines repaired without too much trouble. -Tim

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 08:50 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Andrew in the world of 8mm!
The engine of the P8 is held in place by rubber spacers. On many projectors this rubber has gone soft or brittle or has disappeared. When these spacers are missing the engine is not sitting straight in the housing and therefore the blades, which are connected to the engine are scratching against the housing. You shouldn't turn this projector on before you have repaired it as it will damage the blades, which are made of aluminium.
You will have to replace these spacers. To use rubber again would be best but it is hard to handle (you could try to cut it into shape while frozen). I have used an Edding rubber - the ones you use to erase pencil - they have an opaque white colour in a dark blue cover. It works well so far; how long this rubber lasts I can't say yet.
One important advice: never connect the projector to the mains while the back cover is open as the surface of the engine is LIVE!
Good luck, Alex.

--------------------
Alex

John Last
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2014 11:46 AM      Profile for John Last   Email John Last       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew, The P8 series of projectors are a good starting point. Beware however that the frame of the motor is at mains voltage and MUST be insulated from the body of the projector so don't touch it whilst the mains supply is on. It is quite easy to remove the complete casting which houses the shutter and claw mechanism by removing 2 screws and gently easing the casting off its rear pivot once the 3rd screw is removed. This gives better access to the motor so you can fit new rubbers. Hope this helps.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 11, 2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that some old projectors need lubrification from the user. You can know if yours falls in this category (the more "recent" projectors were not supposed to be lubbed again after they went out of the factory) if you see red paint beside small holes. If so, just put a drop of (sewing machine) oïl.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC