8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The other film gauges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The other film gauges
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 12:39 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are, of course, several other odd gauges of film that are much rarer and not often discussed. I was wondering how many of you have projectors for the less common gauges, such as 17.5mm, 22mm, 28mm?

I personally am fascinated by some of these odd old almost forgotten machines.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 01:42 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why Kodak made 16mm film gauge? From 35mm that should be 17.5mm x 2 and from that 8.75 x 2. With no waste too. Film sizes, marvellous scope for collecting

I wonder if this was better than super 8mm?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 05:38 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For 16 mm instead of 17,5 mm, I think it was to avoid to make it too easy to split a 35 mm filmstock as it was unflammable. Then the 8 mm came because it was half 16mm.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2014 06:05 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes 16mm was acetate from the start 35mm could still be nitrate, Kodak didn't want people storing dangerously inflammable nitrate stock at home.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 03:00 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy, ask Dino Everette !!

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 03:40 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do 28mm and have three projectors. It's great as the machines, around a century old, have huge charm, and the picture quality is amazing. I've not got into 17.5 as the only available machine in England, the Home Talkie, is regarded as a film shredder. I think Dino has all those three gauges plus films for them!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 22, 2014 04:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Sunday, there has been a 17,5 mm projection at the Get Together annual 9,5 in England (see the 9,5 section of the forum). The projector used was a converted Siemens and attracted attention.

--------------------
Dominique

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 07:10 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitrate film.... veteran Hollywood cameramen from the 40's said acetate film never did attain the quality of nitrate based film. There was an aura of luminosity that was beyond acetate. I would love to see a nitrate print projected in a theater.

[ October 22, 2014, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Dafnides ]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 04:34 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky enough to see a nitrate film from 1921 projected in Bergen a few years back. Stunning quality - the sharpness was incredible.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC