8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 700 - Runs Great Forward...HOWEVER ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 700 - Runs Great Forward...HOWEVER ...
Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2014 07:13 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...When turned to reverse, the loop is lost and the film rewinds blurry. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Any ideas as to the cause?

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 12, 2014 08:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon,

Wild guess: the clutch of the front spindle is either too tight or stuck entirely.

(It's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 14, 2014 09:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top, or bottom, loop?

--------------------
Maurice

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2014 02:26 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

Both on reverse - perfect forward.

Thank you

Jon

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 14, 2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following from Steve's comment, try taking off the top spool, and then run in reverse to see if you still lose the loops. If so, it could be a problem with the claw.
If the loops remain OK, then I suggest that Steve's suggestions are probably correct.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 15, 2014 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that idea, Maurice!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2014 11:08 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Maurice, thank you very much for your suggestions, here is an update:

I took off the top spool and ran the projector in reverse. In this situation, the projector cannot maintain the upper loop and the lower one becomes a bit larger. Could it be a claw problem? If so, what sort of problem?

Thank you

Jon

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 15, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has this just materialised, or have you recently bought the projector?

I once bought a projector which would run perfectly in forward mode but would not hold a steady picture in reverse. My engineer found that the top claw (of the two claws) was missing, probably broken off.

--------------------
Maurice

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2014 10:44 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice,

No, it's not a new buy, I bought it a few months ago at a flea market but never got around to test until a few days ago.

A pin is indeed missing. I do have other 700s that I keep for parts with good claws but I have no idea how to replace it. I am technically efficient, I own several service manuals but I have never seen one for the Sankyo 700. I have no idea how to replace that pin but I am going to give it a try as the projector is, otherwise, in mint condition.

Perhaps I can get some pointers here.

Thank you for all of your help.

Jon

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 16, 2014 11:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oldtimer Cameras here in the UK can supply a service manual which includes the 700, it's a bit pricey, but they do very good copies.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/camera-instruction-manuals/stock/Model.asp?Model=11001&ModelPage=true

--------------------
Maurice

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Maurice, I just ordered it. thank you for the link and all of your help.

Jon

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2014 08:14 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon

I have examined the claw on a Sankyo 700 that is here for spares. It only has 1 pin in the claw. So I don't think these Sankyos were made with a 2 pin claw.

dogtor frankarnstein
[Wink] [Confused]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Frank,

I figured that one out when I examine another of my Sankyo and found only one claw, I neglected to mention this to Maurice. In any event, I ordered the repair manual and I hope to repair it when the manual arrives.

Thank you for the input. [Wink]

Jon

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC