8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Newbie Question: Does a silent dual (8mm/Super 8) projector with 24 fps exist?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie Question: Does a silent dual (8mm/Super 8) projector with 24 fps exist?
Dan Peterson
Junior

- posted November 22, 2014 01:18 PM      Profile for Dan Peterson   Email Dan Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!
My first post. [Smile]

To introduce myself: I am a longtime hobbyist still photographer and videographer. My family had a B&H 8mm camera when I was a boy. I still have MOST of those home movies. The equipment was forgotten and given away long ago... (We also had a small editor and Sears projector.)

I now have caught the Super 8 bug, and recently have picked up a Nikon Super Zoom 8, Nikon 8X Super Zoom, and a Nikon R8 Super on eBay. (I've also collected, and sold, 35 mm still cameras over the years...)

I intend to use the Super 8 cameras I've acquired, and I will shoot with them at 24 fps. These days the Tri-X and Agfa reversal films seem to be the only candidates for projection (I will also shoot and scan color negative.) However, I also want to be able to project the old 8mm home movies I already have.
I'm having trouble finding a projector that will support both 8mm and Super 8 at 24 fps (that's the really important part!).
I don't care about sound; silent is fine (and maybe better, since I assume it will keep the cost down).

To get to my question: Any recommendations for a well-built projector that meets these criteria?

Thanks for any help! All advice welcome for this newbie. :-)

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 22, 2014 01:46 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Dan ! You're looking for something rare as the 24 fps is the sound one. What's more you want a dual gauge machine. There must be few models matching all that. These projectors are examples of what may fulfill your needs but I haven't one like this myself so I don't know if it is good or not : http://super8data.com/ Click on the picture of the projector (above), then on Eumig, then on Mark DL and Mark M. I hope other members have other references for you.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan,
Elmo projectors have a good reputation. The SP range have variable speeds from 14 to 24fps and are are dual format. Good luck.

--------------------
Paul.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 22, 2014 04:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice suggestion, Paul. Following the super8database it seems that some other Elmo models have also the 24fps (as they also accepted a double band sound system) : the GP and FP ranges

--------------------
Dominique

Dan Peterson
Junior

- posted November 22, 2014 09:16 PM      Profile for Dan Peterson   Email Dan Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll start the hunt!

John Last
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2014 04:15 PM      Profile for John Last   Email John Last       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, the Eumig 709, 710 and 802 are dual gauge machines. They have sound facilities but there is no need to use this. They can run at 24 f/sec and seem to be available on e-bay. Just make sure that the gates are in good condition and not distorted in any way.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2014 08:02 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch for the Eumig 810D's...and the 824D's as being very good machines for both 8mm gauges...sound or silent, as well.
The old 709's had some hum in the sound amps...but for silent projection, they were very good. Easy to get to the film, too.
But they used lamps without reflectors. the reflector was built into the machine...and sometimes got very dull after a while.
For max brightness, the newer 810d's, especially the ones with the faster lenses, the "lux?" models and the newer lamps are very good.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC