8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to projectors have my eye on these two

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to projectors have my eye on these two
Jason Keeth
Junior

- posted December 03, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Jason Keeth   Email Jason Keeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings to the community,

I am new to collecting projectors and film. For my initial experimentation I have stumbled upon an opportunity to buy a Bell & Howell Autoload 8MM, 471A for $35USD and/or a Bell & Howell Autoload 8MM, 462A for $20USD. I see there are modification kits to get that will use MR16 halogen lamps to avoid replacing the expensive DLD-DFZ and DJL projection lamps. Has anyone had any experience with these projectors? Has anyone had any experience with the lamp modification?

I also have seen the price for a feature super 8mm movie to be rather inexpensive which perks my interests with adopting a new hobby.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Ebay projector lamp mod

B&H 471A

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 03, 2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason... Welcome to the forum.

The guy who makes the conversion module also sells a modification kit with instructions.

http://www.ebay. com/itm/DJL-Projector-Lamp-Replacement-Module-replaces-expensive-DJL-bulb-Lasts-Longer-/251228589630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e640e3e

The pre-made module is the easiest way to go if you don't want to take the time and do the conversion process yourself. I converted my Sears/B&H projector to the newer halogen bulb...it wasn't difficult.

-

-

[ May 12, 2018, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jason Keeth
Junior

- posted December 03, 2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Jason Keeth   Email Jason Keeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Janice.

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2014 06:01 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason,
I started out with a Bell & Howell 462AU model. I have had some film jamming but it seems to be with films that had damage to begin with (broken/missing sprocket holes, etc.). If you get the 462 model, I would suggest replacing the main drive belt (available on eBay for about $7) and lubricating the gears inside the machine (which I have yet to do to mine). Lastly, use the film trimmer on it before running any film for the first time so that it threads properly. The machine should serve you well for starting out in the hobby. The 462 is solely a super 8 machine (it doesn't explicitly say so anywhere on the unit). Good luck and welcome to the forum.
-Tim

Jason Keeth
Junior

- posted December 04, 2014 08:54 AM      Profile for Jason Keeth   Email Jason Keeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim thank you very much for the maintenance tips.

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason do let us know when you decide on a projector and tell us which one that you get. Chances are that someone here has had experience with one similar and can help you with any issues that might come up with it. Since I began the hobby only months ago, I've had some issues come up and I've gotten some good advice here. It's not always smooth sailing as I've found out. The technology is not always reliable and can at times get discouraging, but once the kinks are worked out the hobby is rewarding. Very few people own these machines now and that in itself makes us a unique bunch I think.
-Tim

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC