8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound Head Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound Head Question
Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2014 09:13 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I've read some people say "no wear to the sound head".
I was just curious what i should be looking at/for to see if there is any wear on my new projector. I would like to check my other projector as well....
Both sound great to me, but I have no baseline to compare against.
I understand the elmo st1200 series have some 'warming up' issues with sound in some cases....other than this, is there a particular size the sound heads should be or something showing wear? Thanx for any info.
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

|  IP: Logged

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mathew,
You would know if your sound heads are worn by their performance. I'm not so sure that there would be anything that you could visually see since parts such as these wear 'out', not 'down'. If you're getting good sound, the sound heads are fine. Someone here might have some maintenance tips to help prolong their life.
-Tim

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 13, 2014 10:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMO the best way to prolong the life of your sound heads is to regularly clean and lubricate your films. What you want is a nice smooth slippery surface on the stripe. Also keep the heads themselves free of stripe dust by cleaning gently with a Q-TIP as required.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 14, 2014 01:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is advised to demagnetize them from time to time but I Wonder if this is really necessary as I presume many projector owners never did that.

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2014 07:59 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx folks!

I think cleaning would be a good idea at some point. I have never cleaned any film before, but i can tell you that after every 3 or 4 film, there is a good amount of 'debris' that is always blow out with a can of compressed air and keep my isopropyl handy to clean out the main paths....
Is there a good 'homebrew' cleaner or do I need to buy some better stuff?..... Any recommentdations?
Thanx!
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 14, 2014 11:13 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you clean the head with alcool (on a Q-tip as suggested) ?

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,
Not yet, but a very good idea(Thanx Paul!).
I think i would need a box of q-tips for some of them [Smile]
So alcohol wont hurt the stripe i gather. Interesting.
Thanx,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 14, 2014 02:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul is exactly correct in his advice.

In my years of using S8 film projectors, what I have learned regarding keeping sound heads in as good condition as possible for as long as possible, is simply to keep them meticulously clean using alcohol and "cotton buds" (or if American.. Q-Tips), and clean your films with the wonderful lubricant that can only ever be "Filmguard".. cleans, protects your films, makes all black lines disappear and lubricates the entire film path where in close contact with the film but most importantly.. keeps your stripes silky smooth!

I personally, have never felt the need to de-magnetize the heads.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 14, 2014 03:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will try to remember this word, Andrew, cotton bud, thanks.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC