8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Modern day file sizes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Modern day file sizes
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 04:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it really frustrating that I cannot upload any of my photographs and manual scans etc on this forum.

One of the reasons I find, is that of the restriction of Jpegs to a size of 200K. Surely in this day and age that window can be well and truly opened up to a more realistic modern day limitation.
After all, most of the ones I have checked recently are 6948.8K in size! What chance do I have??

Take Facebook for example, no compression required from any photo's I post.

Come on guys, surely we can get into the 21st Century on this and make it a whole lot less time and effort to upload photo's?

I have loads of people asking me for help with their machines, all of which I do my best to help, but unless people are comfortable in giving me their personal e mail addresses (which is often not the case), I feel I am really restricted in the advice and help I could potentially bring to the table without this information being adequately shared among the masses on here, by not easily being able to add photo's, drawings or diagrams to back up the information given.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 17, 2014 04:11 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

There are thousands of uploads on this and other Film-Tech sites. The size limits are there to keep the servers running smoothly.

There are dozens of applications that will enable you to easily decrease your picture's size to the allowed width of 550 pixels and under 200k.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Pete Holzmann
Junior

- posted December 17, 2014 04:12 PM      Profile for Pete Holzmann   Email Pete Holzmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplest solution:
1) Load up a tool like Picasa on your computer
2) Select photos wanted, use the "Export" function, and choose size 480.

A photo exported that way (and saved with a simple no-spaces filename) will upload just fine.

It's not a question of 21st century. SOMEbody must shrink you big photos, because it is not worth the bandwidth to send your big photo to everybody reading a forum page.

It might as well be you -- you know what is important in your photo. An automated system has no clue.

Blessings,
Pete

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 04:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pete & Doug for your helpful advice, but surely in this day and age, well after these limits were initially set, with a little work here and there we could have this working just as simply as Facebook does, couldn't we?

After all we have a few thousand users, not millions, so what's the issue in raising the restrictions??

The problem I have with currently posting photo's etc is mainly the time it takes to compress etc in what is already a fast paced way of life already without adding further complications.

If it were as simple and easy as FB for example, I am sure we would ALL benefit from the images etc posted.

[ December 17, 2014, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Pete Holzmann
Junior

- posted December 17, 2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Pete Holzmann   Email Pete Holzmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, no it's not all that easy.

YES, there's likely a plugin that might do the job (http://www.photopost.com/installphp-vbgallery.html) -- however:
a) The solution is not already built-in to the software that runs this site
b) Investigating, testing, installing, maintaining optional plugins takes quite a bit of time
c) This site is NOT FB, Wordpress.com, etc with a zillion servers and a staff of hundreds.

AFAIK, 8mm Forum is run by one guy, in his "spare" time. And if it happens to be running on an older set of server software, it could easily require a significant effort to upgrade all the pieces so this request can be filled.

Speaking as a been-there-done-that forum admin (and forum software architect.)

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 05:02 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the picture size should be increased a little bit. I mean, 550 pixels is nothing. It's 1/4 the width of most computer screens today, and less than half the width of even the cheaper laptops.

How about increasing it to 1200 pixels and 600 kb? That would at least make photos more visible/detailed. A 550px image is a bit small.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 05:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well thanks again for that Pete, but to me it just smacks of CBA due to one man running the forum in his spare time, or else we could have it all it would seem! .... Am I wrong, or is this just a fact of life?

BTW no pop at Doug, as he does all of the work, it just seems maybe we need two or three sharing the workload??

Perhaps with your expertise Pete, you should join the team ?

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 17, 2014 08:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It pays to remember that we are all guests here on Film-Tech's website.

Years ago Brad Miller saw film collectors being treated pretty shabbily on forums more oriented towards filmmaking and decided to create a forum for us on the same platform with his own professional cinema forum.

Let's help keep our welcome by not making a ton of demands. We're already getting a lot more than we're paying for.

What we can do for Doug is each of us keep the peace here so he doesn't need to keep it for us.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted December 17, 2014 11:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
New software is in the works for the main site, but it isn't quite done yet. Once that is successfully running, we will update the 8mm Forum. There are a number of road blocks, so I would expect it to be sometime in the spring. In the meantime I would suggest using a site such as
www.picresize.com
www.webresizer.com
www.resizeyourimage.com
etc.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 18, 2014 04:44 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair comment Steve.Fantastic news from Brad though so thank you very much Sir! [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC