8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Anamorphic question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anamorphic question
Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2014 08:12 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone please explain to me what a SCOPE print is? What does it look like and do you need a special lens to project one? Is it the same as WIDESCREEN?
-Tim

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 28, 2014 08:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It uses the tiny super 8 frame to stretch it to almost twice the width of it's normal size to give a true cinemascope effect whilst keeping the image correct in terms of perspective.
The depth of the screened image remains the same.

It does so by the use of a special lens called an anamorphic that is placed just in front of the projectors existing lens.

Films that are shot or printed in scope appear "squeezed" without first placing an Anamorphic lens in front of the projector.

There is quite a large loss of light output by using an Anamorphic lens, therefore you would need a very bright projector to screen anything quite large in "scope"

The image ratio transfers from the standard 1.33:1 to 2.35:1 by using the Anamorphic scope lens.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 29, 2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy
If your film looks OK and humans are not all squeezed up horizontally, you have a widescreen print, not a scope print.

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 04:09 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a scope film called Born Free a 400ft colour super8,I don't have the lens needed to stretch the image but it's still great to watch,

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 29, 2014 05:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 'scope film shown without the anamorphic has very interesting effects on the people on screen. Somebody of typical build will be kind of lanky, but somebody normally fat will look like they've been on a diet. People on horseback are hysterical: they look about 20 feet high! When the horse goes from a side view to a front view it will change from a stubby horse to a skinny horse.

The best test is to look for circles: wheels, clocks, planets, whatever. If you look at something you know has to be circular and instead you see an oval with the long axis vertical then you just know something is up.

I was on a video conference a couple of years ago. There were two screens on the wall: the video feed from the other end (in Russia) and our own. I looked at myself on screen and I saw I was a little...chunky. This really bothered me because I watch my weight, and obviously it was becoming futile. Then I noticed a drawing on the wall in back of me was horizontally oval when it's really circular. Problem: video was being taken 4:3 and stretched over a 16:9 monitor.

Afterwards I had a satisfying breakfast: I had dodged the bullet!

(Who could have guessed this knowledge would be generally useful?!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 06:14 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a squeezed print before getting an anamorphic lens. For a few weeks I projected in with a small screen at an angle to the projector to stretch it.

The small, fixed focus Hypergonar lens I bought originally did give a 2.35:1 picture (it being a 1.75:1 squeeze lens not 2:1) but that was wrong too as Super 8 Scope is cropped top & bottom on most prints to 2.66:1, not Cineavision of course. So I had to buy another lens, for all but the home movies I had made with the original one.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 08:58 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Commercial Super 8 Scope prints have a "squeeze" ratio of 2:1. Since they finish up on screen as 2.35:1 when shown with a 2:1 anamorphic they are actually less than normal width on the film (i.e. there are small black bars either side in the normal frame).

For amateur "filmers" requiring a true CinemaScope format of 2.35:1 as an end result, a !.75:1 lens is used for taking and projecting: I have one, a "Magnarama". They are relatively rare, since there was nothing wrong with using a 2:1 lens for the purpose and ending up with 2.66:1 (wider than CinemaScope, but not as wide as Cinerama).

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 29, 2014 09:30 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always thought that the 2.66 aspect ratio of Super 8 Scope looks too extreme. It would have been much better to have retained the full height of the original 35mm print image and preserved the 2.35 aspect ratio. I have several S8 scope prints where tops of heads are cut off.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 09:37 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Commercial Super 8 Scope prints have a "squeeze" ratio of 2:1. Since they finish up on screen as 2.35:1 when shown with a 2:1 anamorphic they are actually less than normal width on the film (i.e. there are small black bars either side in the normal frame)."

Sorry Martin, but this isn't quite correct.

Only specially produced "Cineavison" prints are in this format.

Most super 8 'scope prints crop the top and bottom of the original theatrical version, thus providing full image width, but with some top and bottom frame information cropped.

As usual, when this topic "crops" up here on the forum, there is much confusion and deliberation over screen ratio.

Paul, whilst Cinevisions versions were specifically designed to address these issues, the results often suffered in resolution terms because additional optical intermediates were required. So you gained the full, say, 2.35:1 theatrical frame, but often with significantly reduced resolution..."horse for courses", as they say.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 29, 2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the slight issues I have had with most Super 8 scope prints (except for those lovely "Cineavision" prints), is that the anamorphic scope print come in on the scope image to fill the whole super 8 frame, but cut off image info on the top and botton, and while most of the time it's not too bad, sometimes, (as with, for instance, some of the DERANN issue Tom and Jerry scope prints), there is too much info lost in my opinion.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC