8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo Dualux 2000H spindles not turning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo Dualux 2000H spindles not turning
Johnny Upton
Junior

- posted February 24, 2015 10:55 AM      Profile for Johnny Upton   Email Johnny Upton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just replaced a belt on a Sankyo 2000H Dualux but for some reason the reels are not turning. Here is a video of it running http://youtu.be/olRjiNp_pJQ Any advice gratefully accepted. It had been working fine before last belt broke.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2015 11:07 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, which belt was it that you replaced?

Johnny Upton
Junior

- posted February 24, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Johnny Upton   Email Johnny Upton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the motor drive belt that had broken  -

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2015 04:18 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be darned if I know why that should be happening. From what I can see in your video, everything should be working? Dogtor Frank, are you out there?

Johnny Upton
Junior

- posted February 25, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Johnny Upton   Email Johnny Upton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, tried running it tonight with the reel, that was on it when the belt broke, not on the spindle and it turned ok!! So maybe it just has difficulty when trying to turn this particular reel.
So I hope to remove this reel and try a different, smaller one (less film) and see how that goes.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 25, 2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the take-up spindle turn when there is no reel on it? Does the front spindle spin when put in reverse?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Johnny Upton
Junior

- posted February 25, 2015 04:43 PM      Profile for Johnny Upton   Email Johnny Upton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tried that Janice and Yes to both

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 25, 2015 06:53 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If before you replaced the belt the spindles ran properly with the film and take-up reels in place and not after installing the new belt...then perhaps the new belt is either too loose or too tight. Was the new belt the proper size for the Sankyo Dualux 2000H? Have you compared them?

--------------------
Janice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2015 09:07 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, from the looks of the video, it appears as though the new belt is turning things correctly.

Johnny Upton
Junior

- posted February 26, 2015 09:38 AM      Profile for Johnny Upton   Email Johnny Upton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I would think that the belt is the correct size

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 26, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the video shows the upper belt moving, but it doesn't show how much torque it's using to turn the spindles. It's just odd that changing the belt would make a difference... unless something else coincidentally broke or wasn't right in the first place.

--------------------
Janice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2015 01:53 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Janice. There should be no relationship between changing the belt and the spindles working.

Johnny Upton
Junior

- posted February 26, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Johnny Upton   Email Johnny Upton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, Barry,

Thanks again for showing so much interest. We changed the reel that was on it and it worked away fine with two subsequent reels! Looks like the reel causing the problem had been spliced together and had too much film on it for the projector to work properly.

So a simple to solution after all!!

Again, many thanks

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 26, 2015 06:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny...the Sankyo 2000H is made to run a FULL 400ft reel of film. Perhaps there is something wrong with the reel causing the problem. You might want to transfer that film to another reel. You should also take a look at the quality of the splices in the film to see that that isn't the problem. Bad splices can jam the film in the gate stopping the take-up reel from moving. The number of splices shouldn't make a difference.

--------------------
Janice

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2015 05:32 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Johnny,

Can you post a video or a close up photo of the spindle side (from the front) sometimes, if the spindle is wobbly and you put a reel on it the spindle gets lower and touches the projector's frame which prevents the reel from turning freely.

Check the alignment with and without a full reel.

Jon

Johnny Upton
Junior

- posted March 02, 2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Johnny Upton   Email Johnny Upton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

The projector seems to be working fine now since the change of film reel. These reels had laid idle in storage for years so understandable that at least one of them would cause some grief. Am nearing the end of the reels now so when complete, the projector could be idle for a while again!

Many thnaks for your interest in my post

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC