8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Please recommend a film cleaner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please recommend a film cleaner
Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2015 09:14 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for something gentle and hard to screw-up with, if that makes any sense. Never used one before and it's high time.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2015 02:28 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall,

I use Filmrenew with tech wipes that l get from The Reel Image but others will use Film Guard as well.

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2015 03:21 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.film-supply.com

Im actually out of stock right now and trying to decide if I should make another production run.

Please post if there is any interest.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy,

I have looked at your product before and l would consider purchasing one if you go ahead with another batch

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 22, 2015 05:42 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of us would if we were allowed to import it.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2015 06:21 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marshall,
I`ve been using Cresclean for sometime now & I am delighted with it. Here`s a link to where you can buy it,
http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/

Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 01:33 PM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy I'd love to get my hands on one. A used one came up recently on the 16mm forum for a great price, but the money wasn't there to do it.

Do you think anything could be done with the price if a larger batch were made? Perhaps taking deposits to secure a "larger batch" would be a better way to go?

Lastly, do you do the machining yourself, or sub-contract it out? My company owns several large format CNC machines (that can cut up to 1" thick aluminum, as well as any other material), as well as screen printing and digital print decal capabilities in house. Just wondering if there would be a better way to make these to make them more reasonable to the consumer while being more profitable for you. Contact me if you'd like more info!

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2015 04:26 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies

Andrew, both Wittner and I ship to Australia, not sure who told you we did not ... unless I misunderstood and the Australian Govt has banned Film-O-Clean as a weapon of dirt removal or something ?

or unless you have tried to order from my website lately which is totally horked - the USPS module needs to be changed and I need to figure out how to do that next time I come up for air

Dave, thanks for the info and email. I tried to reply a couple times but you are either on vacation or my email is in your spam folder. In any event - please contact me at your convenience.

If anyone here uses Film-O-Clean please let me know what you think of it - I honestly have not had much feedback .. on the other hand I have not had a single complaint either [Smile]

( Brad I still have your unit sitting here ... dont think I forgot, but I still haven't made you that Kelmar bracket )

( and Doug yes I need to get you a Mark II for eval, and Im sorry for being so slow and old and slow ... did I say that twice ? dang Im old ... )

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 06:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the UK Roy???

I dont know of any imports here.

--------------------

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a film-o-clean from Roy and had it delivered to Australia, no problems.
It did take a while, but was worth the wait, very nice unit.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 09:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But i dont live in Australia mores the pity [Confused]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 09:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody used this liquid film cleaner, it says "cleans and lubricates."
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquid-Cine-Film-Cleaner-For-super-8-8mm16mm-9-5mm-Cleans-Lubricates-250ml-/261831965650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf666bbd2

--------------------
Maurice

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2015 06:06 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew - my apologies - it was late and I confused one island with another [Smile] and Wittner and I both distribute to UK

.. and I apologize also for going off topic...

FilmGuard is what I use 99% of the time. If I need a ' really aggressive ' cleaner for spot cleaning I use a bit of FilmRenew, but that is very rare. Every time I project film I use FilmGuard.

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2015 05:11 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just noticed the post from Maurice regarding the film cleaner on eBay, I did purchase some of this and in my opinion it smells and acts just like neat IPA that you can buy very cheaply on eBay, I did contact the supplier although obviously he did not reveal the formula he did say it contained a small amount of lubricant, but I found after it had evaporated in a couple of days there was no lubricating effect, but it will indeed clean the film just like IPA.
As I do not like to use IPA on my films I ended up disposing of the said cleaner, I would love to have the formula for Thermofilm that was always my favourite.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2015 05:39 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming that by IPA you mean Iso Propyl Alcohol not India Pale Ale.
As a beer drinker I would have the latter at home, but never use it to clean film :-)

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2015 06:14 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Brian I do mean Iso Propyl Alcohol, but I think the beer may do a better job.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 07, 2015 06:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Stick with filmguard, that's what I say. I know only of two tiny negative things to say about it from the time I've been using it.

[ April 07, 2015, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC