8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I think I'm done. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I think I'm done.
Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2015 10:34 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After having been without a functioning projector for a few years, I finally found a place locally that could repair it. It was so great to have my rig working again! I painstakingly went about acquiring all the Castle/Universal 8 horror digests, and enjoyed them thoroughly. Picked up a few other prints, including some German-language cut-downs of some tacky 1970s horror favorites. Had a belt break, got that repaired, and I was back in business again.

More and more, though, I found my prints getting scratched up. One digest that was still sealed when I purchased it wound up with a fat green line visible upon its second viewing. I took the projector to the shop and my guy offered a very logical explanation as to why I had a print-eater on my hands. Got it repaired again and got back to business. Except I see that my prints are still getting shredded. Hard to know how much is previous damage and how much is new, but I think I am beyond caring at this point. So many fun prints now made a lot less fun. Such an expensive misadventure. I'm going to call the repair guy tomorrow and see what he has to say, but really, I think I'm done. What a waste.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 13, 2015 10:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand and model projector do you have?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2015 10:56 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bell & Howell 11XJ. Served me well for many years, until it didn't. Thanks for asking.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 14, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall, some of the Bell7 Howell's have a reputation for scratching, I don't know if your's is one of them. But if you have not totally given up on the hobby I would suggest you looking out for a good Eumig 810/820 as being a fine machine that will not scratch your films.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 14, 2015 11:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in a similar position to yourself Marshall when I have first got hold of a new machine to me that is "playing up".
It is most disheartening.

It would be such a shame for you to have to give up on collecting just yet as there are many projectors that have an excellent track record of not damaging film and on many examples, you do not have to spend much at all to obtain one.

I hope you change your mind after you have had time to think and research the possibilities of an alternative machine.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 14, 2015 11:04 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone near Marshall or in the States got a nice Sankyo 501 or 701 or similar they can send Marshall and we all chip in a bit for it and the carriage etc.

I`m up for $5-$10 of it.

Best Mark.

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 11:53 AM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent idea Mark.I'm in NoeCal but I don't have a Sankyo. However I will pledge $20 for the cause if one can be found to send and if Marshall is agreeable to it. This is such a great hobby and I enjoy it very much.It would be a shame for you to drop out Marshall.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 11:56 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly understand your frustration, Marshall. While I still enjoy film, after 40-plus years in the hobby (and projectors that are approaching the same age in terms of that time span), I find I have far less patience with the mechanical aspects of the hobby. While I know that tinkering with projectors is an aspect that some collectors view as making film superior to digital, now that I'm 53 years old, I now much prefer watching the movie itself rather than watching the movie projector -- hence the reason I've incorporated digital projection with its vastly superior sound and picture quality, plus access to the incredible universe of films, 99.9999999999-plus percent of which did not or will not make it to Super 8. I haven't regretted that decision one iota.

I'll always hang onto my films, but adding digital projection enables me to finally have the picture and sound quality that I sought all these decades to achieve.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 12:17 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film and digital the best of both worlds I find some on digital like you say that would have never made it to 8. Watched quite a few older titles on dvd streaming. Both fit together and compliment each other

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 01:12 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You folks are very kind. I'm on my lunch break right now and can't type out everything that's on my mind, but thanks. I will call my repair guy tonight and see if he has anything to say. If anyone knows of a good US eBay or private listing for a projector and wants to forward me a link, please do. I'm not really in the position to buy a new machine right now, but I certainly don't expect you guys to pass the hat on my behalf (as much as I deeply appreciate the gesture.) Thanks again.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 14, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never trusted those Bell and Howell's. I had one for a short time and I found what you are unfortunately experiencing. You have my sympathy! [Frown]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 14, 2015 07:10 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bell & Howell projector quality, once up there with Bolex Paillard, noze dived with the advent of super 8 and the introduction of cheap projectors for Montgomery Ward, Sears, and K-mart.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2015 07:14 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my repair guy wants to have another look. I think I'll let him. He really seems to know his stuff--this is the first time I've had a problem after a repair. Still keeping an eye open for a better projector.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 15, 2015 12:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get another projector in decent running order, used, for the price of taking this Bell and Howell to a repairman, (unless, of course, he's working for free! [Smile] )

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a good cheaper projector like an Elmo ST600 or ST800. Gate hinges outward so easy to keep clean. Don't give up!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you're having.I agree with what others have said,that you might want to consider another projector.It is painful to have your films get scratched up,especially when they're new ones. I've been through the gamut with used projectors since reentering the hobby.Considering the age of these machines now,there is a certain amount of trial and error involved.Hang in there,as I feel in the long run you'll be happy you did. [Smile]

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2015 07:43 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Repair guy had my projector for a few weeks but did not charge me anything for taking another crack at it. Got it home and it is still badly scratching films. He's got a bunch of Elmos for sale, so I will check back and see what he is asking for them. Problem is I really prefer a 600' capacity or larger, and I don't think that will be an option. I look forward to taking a sledgehammer to my Bell & Howell. The damage it has done to my prints is staggering.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 16, 2015 08:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Willingly take a sledgehammer to the B&H Marshall, and pool all of your money into a "Studio" Class Bauer or better still, a Beaulieu Stereo.

You will never look back, I promise you! [Wink]

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2015 01:15 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tempting. I know so little about the various projectors (including where to obtain them) that I fear it would not go well.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 17, 2015 03:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It probably wouldn't be easy to find either of the above near where you are and you would probably have to scour e bay Deutschland to get a decent Bauer. It would be expensive to ship, but then your scratch issues WOULD be a thing of the past.
If you are a keen collector on the S8 format, it would be a worthy investment now the only Achilles heel on these machines has new replacement parts available.

Another alternative that you should realistically be able to find closer to home, would be the excellent, extremely kind to film, Eumig S938/40 but do check the magnetic head for wear to both main and balance tracks before committing to one.

--------------------

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2015 04:09 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Bell & Howell DCT is very kind to films, (same build as Sankyo)I do however keep the film path etc, very clean and use a silicone/wax polish for this.I keep my films clean and lubed, the trouble with used films is you just never know how used they actually are until you run them, but I always clean and lube before I run any film new or used.I have been lucky just lately with used films, not a mark on them, there are some very good sellers out there who tell the truth about the condition of the film they are selling...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 17, 2015 04:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very True Steve! It's good to hear that some Bell & Howells can run very well with a few precautionary measures. I remember Derann always used one of these to check their used prints on before offering them for sale.
The 3 models I mentioned above get my vote of confidence above all others based on my own experiences of using them and on the strength of the fact that they require nothing more than minimal cleaning of the film path to guarantee the prints I have remain totally unscathed.

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone has a link to or info about a specific unit for sale in the US, please PM me. There is a Chinon I am seriously looking at (opinions on this brand?) otherwise I will probably grab an Elmo if reasonably-priced at my repair guy's store. But looking for other options too. Thanks!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 17, 2015 12:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your next purchase Marshall, you will be completely rejuvenated with your outlook on the hobby when you finish up with a very good non scratching machine in the near future. [Smile]

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2015 10:38 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Andrew (and everyone.) I'm picking up an Elmo on Wednesday.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC