8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo K-100

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo K-100
Zach Watts
Junior

- posted April 28, 2015 02:32 PM      Profile for Zach Watts   Email Zach Watts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys!

So, I've got an elmo K-100 that I've purchased to try and transfer some old 8mm film reels to my computer, the problem I'm having is the unit appears to be making the film slightly shaky, or jumpy. I've tried my hardest to find an answer to the problem out in the great wide world of the internet, but i've only been able to narrow it down to an alignment issue. I've found several cases where people claimed that this was due to the film gate being not aligned, and sure enough if I apply pressure to the gate with my finger the problem resolves. I've tried doing some adjustments to the gate and it's gotten a bit better, but doesn't seem to go way completely.

Am I missing something? Is this a lost cause? is there a part that needs to be replaced?

Any help would be wonderful, even if that help is just a nudge in the right direction.

Again, the unit is an Elmo k-100.

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 29, 2015 01:26 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Zack...Welcome to the forum! I have a couple Elmos, but I don't have that model projector. A few things come to mind that could be causing the jittering issue. 1) The gate pressure plate may not be holding the film tight enough against the gate. 2) It maybe losing either the upper or lower loop. The takeup tension may be too strong pulling the film through the gate causing loss of lower loop. Loss of a loop can also be caused by shrunken sprockets on your film...bad splices, etc. 3)Elmos can be very fussy with splices and leaders also. 5) The claw could me missaligned.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Zach Watts
Junior

- posted April 29, 2015 07:12 AM      Profile for Zach Watts   Email Zach Watts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice, Thanks so much for the reply!

I'm looking into everything you suggested. Do you have any suggestions on a place I might look to gain more insight? I have no problem just "digging in" and trying to find the right answer, but I'd hate to do something inadvertently that makes the unit worse than it currently is [Frown] [Confused]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 29, 2015 03:15 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zach...Read through this thread. It's mainly geared towards a Sankyo projector...it may help you figure out how to adjust the claw on your Elmo.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008007

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Zach Watts
Junior

- posted April 29, 2015 03:56 PM      Profile for Zach Watts   Email Zach Watts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful! Thank you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC