8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How often should I clean my films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How often should I clean my films?
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2015 08:14 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello once again,

Been back in the hobby now for about four years. It's been fun collecting and learning.

Two years ago I gave every film in my collection a FilmRenew cleaning. Stuff was easy to use and got good results. I don't watch my films constantly, so I'm wondering- how often should I do a serious cleaning like this?

I know cleaning also provides lubrication and prevents mildew/mold, but is there such a thing as overdoing it?

Also- I have several self edited reels- Star Wars put in proper order, Superman 3 reeler with additional footage from the one reel version, etc. and I know cleaner can loosen splices. Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 04, 2015 09:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some may well disagree but I'd say very rarely. Although I - like many collectors have - occasionally obtained a 16mm film that has needed thorough cleaning, I can honestly say that I've NEVER noticed a film I've owned that has either been new or clean when I've obtained it - or I've cleaned myself - subsequently show signs of dirt. Why should it - it's not as if it's likely to be making contact with rollers, etc, in the film path that will transfer anything other than a few specks of dust to the film. And it's only off a reel and exposed to the atmosphere for a few seconds.

So unless you have an accident and a film is unspooled all over the floor, I'd say why bother, unless you show a film exceptionally often and you're convinced a clean is needed. Lubrication is a different matter, though. If a film becomes noisy or unsteady going through the gate, it obviously needs lubrication even if it doesn't need cleaning.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2015 04:12 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also add that if the film is not too loosely wound there should be no change of dust etc getting in or scratching by coil tightening as the film feeds into the projector. I normally put a little tension on the film whilst rewinding to prevent this.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2015 07:43 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am experimenting with a silicone/wax mixture for lubrication, when my projector is up and running (still waiting for part) I will be able to get more information, I hope there is no slip on capstan pinch roller, I used to get this problem with the old Thermofilm, if I over done the application, wow and flutter.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
two times to clean films (in my humble opinion)

1. When they are dirty. (well, that's obvious)
2. When the films have become aged or slightly brittle.

... not so obvious, as film, as it ages, can become brittle or at least, easier to break. Most film cleaning solutions not only clean the film, but also lubricate the film, which keeps films from getting too dry and then snapping or breaking on you.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 10:21 AM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your info!

Looks like I've done OK then. I usually clean my films when I first get them and then it's just a matter of proper storage. Thanks a bunch!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 06, 2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is always an odd subject. Some people do clean there films each time they view them.
One thing I did learn from Bill Parsons was this,
In order for your projector to run smooth and stay like it,(apart from the obvious keep it serviced) was to ensure films are cleaned using a good cleaner as this also lubricates them as well in order to go through the projector smoothly. If you project a brand new film,(& I did recently)without cleaning it you may well experience awful wow and flutter & this was the case. This is also stress on the projector.
A quick coat of film guard later and it went through a second time as smooth as anything. I did this purposely to prove the point. [Wink]
How often we should do it also depends on how and where you store your movies.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2015 01:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My latest shrunken, old and brittle acetate print simply would not run through my most precision machined projector until it had been well lubricated with filmguard.

A film when running through the machine will tell YOU when it requires cleaning/ lubricating. It's an easy decision to make [Smile]

Tom and Bill, are of course, absolutely bang on here and as for servicing your projector...

If you are the type of person that will notice a flat before you get in your car without exception, or if you will check your oil before changing it after 6 - 9 months.
If you never let your washer bottle run dry or your battery run flat... then chances are you will be routinely servicing your projector just fine, I would guess. [Smile]

A huge part of it really is down to what type of person you are and how much you care and value these items in your life, I find.

For anything else, just ask Bill! [Wink]

[ May 06, 2015, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2015 12:20 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of these suggestions are excellent.

I am not a know-it-all, but this has been my experience and it's not an imposition on collectors.

I lubricate when noticing a soft unfocused bright glow, and this relaxes the film after using either Film Guard or Film Renew products.

When a film that appears dry and if it chatters during projection and I remove cleaner if it's over applied because it will be too jumpy.

Receiving prints for the first time, the previous owners may not have cleaned or lubricated their films, and this practice is beneficial for my prints and it there is less strain on the projector.

It depends upon using furniture polish, but I cannot predict the long term effects on film.

Some furniture polish may contain too much silicone, and this will cause a film to
chatter and become jumpy.

Excessive amounts of Film Guard will soften splices and they will become milky in appearance.

I have metered the amount of Film Guard on the films by not over applying it with the sprayer.

My experience with Film Guard is by using a soft camel brush, and to paint a small amount onto a cleaning pad. Wrap the pad around the film and examine how the fluid is cleaning and coating. Wind between 12 to 24 turns and examine the tissue. and then reapply this onto another area of the tissue. When nearing the end of the reel, examine the film between 4 to 8 turns.

Wear gloves and have plenty of ventilation in the room.

This is a delicate subject, and hobbyists have their own opinions about film lubrication.

When the film is smooth on both sides and that your projector has been kept clean, it may not be necessary to lubricate again.

Experiment by trial and error and you will learn the methods that are satisfactory to you.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC