8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is the ONE print you would pay serious money for? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is the ONE print you would pay serious money for?
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 06:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a fellow member on here who paid the very most he has ever, for what I know for sure is a truly top title in wonderful condition based on it's source and therefore I am certain he will neither regret the decision, nor ever lose money on the investment.

So, I ask you all.. What is the ONE print that you would truly "push the boat out" for?

I have at least a dozen but it would be very interesting to see what others would say...?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 07:19 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A real IB Tech Vertigo (16mm)...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 07:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink] I take it that recent revelations are not what they seem Steven?

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 08:43 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No -- that print is almost certainly one of the 80s universal prints on LPP or AGFA. The give away was the mag track - the IBs were all printed in the late 50s - and then nothing was printed again until the 80s due to legal issues with the movie. In the 50s, they didn't have airline prints with mag tracks, so it would be impossible for there to have been an IB print with a mag track (and in fact, I have never seen an IB print of anything with a mag track). I asked francisco to verify whether it has a Paramount or a Universal logo at the start, but he hasn't gotten back to me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 09:02 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enter the Dragon Scope Full Length Feature. I would love it on 16mm or Super 8mm. I saw that film in the theaters on a double bill with "The Green Hornet". I have never seen anyone move so fast and with such precision and charisma. He was, to me, the first "Superhero". And no CGI! [Smile]
I was offered it once and I passed. I have NEVER seen another one for sale since that time. I opted to buy the more common, "Game of Death" 4 Parter.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 12:20 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scopitones have mag tracks, the ones made in the USA are mostly IB. I sold an IB print Pocket Money (1972) that had a magnetic and an optical track more than a year ago for $500. The mag track was in French. They are rare and some are out there, I've seen at least one feature and those music films but yeah, probably all printed after 1960.

Needless to say, an IB print of a desirable title such as Vertigo will defiantly go for over a thousand, and I would be a bidder on that title on 16mm. But, I can't think of one film I would want on Super 8 bad enough for 1K, I'd rather get it on 16mm, including the animated features.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 03:41 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien, The Thing are two I really like to own. Terminator too. But won't sell my house for them

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 03:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes me too Vidar. [Wink]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 04:04 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does "serious money" mean ? Many films are already expensive.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 04:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are Dominique, I grant you, but what I was implying was one which would cost you even more than any you have purchased so far,yet you would still be willing to buy if one surfaced in tip top condition [Smile]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 06:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably do that only for a unique print like a home movie with special interest or a "lost film". I would be more ready to pay a high price for a projector than for a film.

--------------------
Dominique

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 07:04 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect cutdowns, and my grails at the moment are the 400' release of THE REDEEMER and the German 200' edit of I DRINK YOUR BLOOD.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Question, Andrew

when I was into 8mm and particularly 16mm...I honestly cannot think of a title that i ever wanted that did not get - through my hands..nearly cost me everything financially..I had so many titles but moved them on quickly. I am please I just focussed on my other stuff now (DVD p/j and a bit of 8mm)...Steve Seigal...remember the swop I did with you for my I.B. Rosemarys Baby...which was stunning and I got from you a rare RKO "Leopard Man"...good days! [Wink]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 08:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You were fortunate Mark to be into S8 throughout the days of the big releases. Back then all titles could be got and second hand prints turned up regularly on the used lists for affordable prices.

Having left in 93 and returning back nearly 20years on, things aren't so easy. When you do see the big features in good nick, the prices can in some cases border on the ridiculous hence the reason I put this question out there, to see what people would re mortgage their houses for...if anything.

I stand aside Vidar on this one and although I regularly put my films first second and third in my spending since giving up smoking a year back,I still have my limits on any print. Then I turn to Blu Ray as the next best thing.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 08:14 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would and will pay serious money for a decent 16mm print of Quatermass2 (U.S. title, Enemy from Space). I have the horridly printed and edited Super 8 version which is painful to watch.
In all the years I've been collecting, I've never ever seen the title offered on any list, including years of The Big Reel...and ebay. I know there are prints out there, but I've never seen one offered. I have the Quatermass Xperiment and Quatermass and the Pit, but this 2....which is my favorite ...it is eluding me.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 27, 2015 08:18 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it even possible to pay serious money for a comedy?!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 08:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Money is always a serious topic Steve, even if is spent on comedy lol. Just ask Ken Dodd! Ha ha [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 08:55 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol...Steve

Now I would "buy that for a dollar"... which film did that intermittent phrase come from ...Best, Mark [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Silvester, according to our old friend Hugh Scott, it came from 'Robocop'.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Robert - exactly and that is the answer -and I would certainly "Buy that for a Dollar"...yes great theme that ran through the original movie of "Robo-Cops" narrative.

One of my favourite films.. It had a real life cynicism based on a "bedrock" of reality and lost and perceived hope and belief.

It told the truth...really like a John Wayne movie...in it's truest sense...but who really wins in the end...times are the same and probably worst, in many ways.That is when the world welcomes a gun slinger coming into town - whether that be Bruce Lee; Alan Ladd; Clint Eastwood..et al. We all want a "Robocop" and I for one..."would buy that for a Dollar"...even a penny, Lol. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
I was pretty stupid last November, i always wanted a scope feature of Die Hard and despite it being offered by a very generous collector i turned it down as at that precise time i was little short, What a maroon!!!!! I should have pulled out all the stops but i let it slip so now i am still looking.
Also the feature of Silence of the Lambs. Another one i just missed
Hence why i have now sold some of my titles, i save it in the bank to buy films when the ones i want turn up.My hobby is curruntly paying for itself.
[Wink] [Mad]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 12:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish mine was Tom! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

If it's any consolation Tom, the colour is quite blue on Die Hard and my Blu Ray blows my Super 8 feature out of sight when projected.

Still a great film to have though and I too, would love to find Silence...one day. [Smile]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BladeRunner ... from the Ridley Scott restored edition!!!

Yeah, like THAT is going to happen on super 8 ... but stranger things HAVE happened!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 02:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, like Captain America [Big Grin] [Wink]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 04:49 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being on a tight budget, I can't say that there is any film I would pay serious money for. I have been fortunate in that the films I wanted cost no more than £120; average is about £40-£50. I tend to go for the older films, which are maybe not so popular with the younger collectors. One film I would like is Bogart's last for Warner's 'The Enforcer', AKA 'Murder inc'.

The worst condition 16mm print in my collection, but the one I think I value the most is the 1939 version of 'The Man in the Iron Mask'

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC