8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is the ONE print you would pay serious money for? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is the ONE print you would pay serious money for?
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 04:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fabulous hobby this one in that there is always something for everyone.

I am glad you are able to purchase the films you like Robert despite like many of us, being on a tight budget.

The best thing I have done is giving up smoking. I was spending in excess of £60 per week on the filthy habit which now can all go on film if I like ...without the wife going ape every time the postman arrived at our front door! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 06:26 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still looking for two mint prints of Derann's Scars of Dracula and Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde. Mine have been run to death and need perfect prints on the shelf so I know they are there. Also, my lifelong search for a 16mm color/scope print of Barbarella has come up dry....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 03, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, an excellent 16mm print of 'The Devil Rides Out' could motivate serious expenditure.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 03, 2015 03:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Die Hard, &/or silence of the lambs. Ive let both slip through my fingers, (one of them twice) [Frown]

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 03:08 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually got my prize a few years back; "Gypsy" (1962) was the first movie my parents took me to see and it made an indelible impression as my first film experience. I spent over 17 years looking for a good condition IB Tech scope print. Along the way, I was burned severely by dealers who sent me vinegar prints with heavy warping, jump splices, and heavy scratches (both kept my money and disappeared). I was convinced that I would never get one after the two swindles, but it did happen (thanks to 16mm Filmtalk). I am grateful to my parents for not taking me to "Mad Mad World" first (both films were out around the same time), because one can imagine how much a mint IB/scope of that one would cost.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 07:05 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few; THE THREE AGES, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, some others - Shorty

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, many years back we were travelling to Ealing for one of the BFCC's at the Town Hall, and the discussion turned to this very subject.

My all time favourite movie is "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and despite collecting it on every known format, I genuinely didn't know at that time about the full-length 'scope imports.

So I conceded that if anything would ever tempt me for big bucks, it would be a feature version of "Raiders", knowing full well that it didn't exist...

And just what was the first film to greet us at Perry's stand?

I even said to Ian, "What exactly is that?"...
"Why that's a full length 'scope / stereo print of Raiders of the Lost Ark..."

My poor credit card! [Smile]

But literally, what a dream come true!

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raiders is a fabulous film. i remember seeing a 16mm print for sale at blackpool film fair a year or two ago. it sold in no time.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 12:52 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I had that title some time ago when I collected 16mm - plus all the Back to the Futures...and Close Encounters.

The one print I would have loved but it never came my way was "Blade Runner" I would have loved that. I had nearly every other dream title that I can think of...

Mark [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 01:04 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "dream" being the beautifully re-graded final cut Blu-ray version of "Blade Runner", which finally puts to rights all of the many failings of the numerous pre-release versions and finally presents this masterpiece of work as it should actually be seen.

Ah crap, I said that out loud...I'm in trouble now...

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 01:22 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol...good one Rob!

Mark [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooooo, Rob, you said the "B-R" word! (Blade Runner?)

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, stop it.

These views are my own.

No one likes a gang, least of all me.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry...I thought you were making a joke.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2015 01:57 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies, Paul, I realise that sounded rather heavy handed.

In view of the current mood here I just didn't want to be seen as the instigator of yet more disruption.

In retrospect I should have kept my mouth shut as I'm not really certain what is acceptable here any more.

Further apologies for taking this off topic...I'm off to take a break now I think...

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2015 02:30 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

Well I thought the print I would have really wanted would have been "Star Wars" but I remember as a boy in 1977 cueing to see it and being totally unimpressed. I do understand the metaphor for the print of an old western or 1940's serial but I feel if I bought Star Wars now - it would just be to say that I have a copy - and that really doesn't justify me spending the amount of cash that it goes for now. What I would really love is a marketing full length print of True Grit - I remember Starwood films in St Albans offering this for rent back in the early 1980's - I have the 3x400ft of the film - but the full length I would love. I also wouldn't mind the marketing full length print of the Bruce Dern/Robert Shaw thriller "Black Sunday".

David

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2015 03:47 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it would have to be 'Cinema Paradiso' but preferably on 16mm. I'd also love a pristine print of 'Thief of Bagdad' but I'm now at the point where purchases are rare due to price and actual availablity of titles. So, fortunately I can turn to, shall we call it 'other alternatives' to supply my needs. lol.

--------------------
Dave

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2015 05:22 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charge of the light Brigade-on 8mm...

--------------------
Yannis

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 05:28 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annie Get Your Gun....for me.

--------------------
Trevor

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a few for me, but just off the top of my head..

1/ a mint Derann print of Mary Poppins
2/ Silence Of The Lambs
3/ Indiana Jones (with stripes)
4/ E.T.
5/ Chicken Run (with stripes)
6/ Titanic (with stripes)

strangely enough, unlike a lot of people, the one print I wouldn't pay excessive amounts for is Star Wars.
I like it, but nowhere near enough to pay the going rate.

Thats one for the Panasonic I'm afraid.

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2016 06:40 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fun subject I can see needs another post. I've already bought that ONE print. For me It's the RBC of Modern Times and I got it on Super 8 and 16mm. I actually don't have any 16mm equipment yet, but Modern Times being my favorite film, I promised myself if I ever found a mint 16mm print, I would get it. I only payed about $400. Haven't watched it yet, but it's the birth of my 16mm collection, which I can't afford to start yet.
Now that I have that, the next one on my list I would pay any amount for is my childhood favorite movie Back to the Future on 16mm. I already know that a member, Oscar on this forum has a prized one, which is envied. I can say I've watched the movie more than any.
I'd also go overboard for a Super 8 print of The Adventures of Robin Hood or The Wizard of Oz, but I'm not unlike many collectors out there.

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2016 06:43 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still new, but still looks hard to find: 16mm print of Nightmare on Elm Street.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 26, 2016 06:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One that's always been special to me is "You Only Live Twice". It may just be the first movie that I ever saw. It was at a drive-in way upstate when I was about five. Mom and Dad were afraid Mr. Bond's romantic adventures might be taken the wrong way by a kindergartner, but the only thing in the movie that really bothered me was them dumping that car in the water with the helicopter.

If I had serious money to spare, I'd pay serious money for a print...seriously.

But the serious mortgage and car payment are more serious: they'll take those things away!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 26, 2016 11:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a striped optical print of this feature here in the UK this past week. Still had pretty reasonable colour too! [Smile]

At just a tad over the £100 mark when I last looked on e bay.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2016 06:16 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again I would say Star Wars, original not special edition. That's because it isn't available in best condition in any digital format - and the fact that I passed it up for Goldfinger at a Derann open day.
Before seeing the 70mm Dolby 4.1 showing at the Dominion Tottenham Court Road I had seen it in 35mm at a local Odeon which had a rather washed out print so at first I didn't rate it very highly.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC