8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Problem with Derann Odeon Ads Reel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with Derann Odeon Ads Reel
Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2015 09:39 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys

I have a weird issue with the above print (I'm actually not sure it's totally original, seems to have quite a few different prints spliced together).

Basically I've run this on two separate ST1200 machines and on both it makes the top loop so big it constantly hits the top of it and bounces the film all over the gate. None of my other films do this so I'm confused as to what's happening.

If anyone has some insight I'd appreciate the advice!

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 07, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally the only reason these would have splices is if the previous owner joined various ad reels together.
I myself do have quite a number of ad reels and generally they were all of superb quality.
One of the ones I have is also the Odeon reel, its starts with the Odeon intermission, this item is spliced on, then it goes into a few adverts,(all correct for the ad reel number), then half way through there's a pearl and dean opening spliced in, then the rest of the correct ads for the reel and it end with a pearl and dean closing. Fortunately is all plays fine and to be honest its actually a very good reel with Les Dawson doing Naughty but nice fresh cream cakes and then later another one but with Kenneth Williams.
It may be yours may need the splices re doing and a good clean.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like poor splices are they tape or cement? I had a CIR wrap round that if you didn't take extra care caused this on my ST1200.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2015 12:34 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is a totally custom reel then as it has trailers for die hard 2, saving private ryan and no Les Dawson. I will take a look at the splices then.

Thanks guys!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 07, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel, those two trailers are well worth the price tag of a normal 200 foot on there own. Sort those splices out and I reckon you may have a good supporting program, two good trailers
& some ads. [Wink]

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2015 01:11 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to get it to run properly now, someone spliced the trailers in ok but no perfs! No wonder!

Runs beautifully now and such great quality, I'm very happy. Thanks for the advice!

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 05:16 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you buy the reel off me? I sold one with those trailers on last year, beautiful print, but had no issues with splices on my projectors. I sold it without realising the Private Ryan trailer had been stitched on, which annoyed me quite a bit when I realised.

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2015 08:06 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may have been you Mark, it was on ebay anyway.

Are any of your machines ST1200s? Both of the machines I tried it on were and both had big problem with it. As I say though, now I've added the perfs it runs just fine.

It also has a towering inferno trailer stitched in which is warming.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC