8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your 8mm filming project results..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your 8mm filming project results..
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 08, 2015 01:19 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Its been a little bit since we had any news of anyone filming on Super 8 so thought I would pen a bit..

The last couple of years I guess I have filmed more Super 8mm than any point during my oo decades of filming, possibly due to the range of film stocks we have on offer to us and cine film makers. The advent of Agfa 200D and its fairly huge latitude re lighting situations has spurred me on no ends and I have filmed in snow to more recent filming with f22 pushing it to the limit with the top end shooting results yet to reappear from the lab. The difficulty anyone filming does face however is striping of poly stock many are experiencing peeling stripe which is unfortunate and a expensive exercise! As a result I am for the first time resorting to HD frame scanning and editing in software which is a bit of a downer but I do retain my favourite film look and at least using the Nizo camera which always generates interest when out with its bellows attached.

Talking sound.
I'm also once completed off the timeline going to transfer the audio onto cassette on the Norisound so I can show my efforts on a projector with sound and this is at least one way to completely show a super 8 home movie perhaps, although not my ideal way. The sound quality from the tape system on the Noris was always good and it has lasted here so I will pursue this route I think.

Film stocks.
I still favour 100D and as with my film making friends stacked the freezer with it at the end of production, although I do as I say love 200D which when projected at the film fair on a big screen a good number commented on the image quality. I would put much of that down to the Schneider lens on the Nizo perhaps..

The scans.
Having had some films scanned they look pretty darn amazing and very crisp fed through our latest setup so I am a happy chappy. With the cost of peeling striping it seems a much safer route even though I would rather have a mag sound film to show to just scan the films and complete on el computo. Editing is very much my day job so I will miss the magnetic sound side of things but at least my few hundred feet of carefully filmed shots will see a satisfactory completion.

The future.
Those boys at Ferrania look so dedicated to a cause I hope they can make the acetate magic happen for we willing 8mm movie makers. Tri Acetate hats off to them all!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 08, 2015 03:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent off two Tri-X's off to the lab on Friday. It's always nice getting film back from the lab.

I think the biggest problem is I've been pretty steadily making films about 15 years now and every time I come up with a "new" idea, I soon realize it's a rehash of something I did years ago.

-I may do sequels, but never remakes!

I'm kind of reluctant to take a break for a while though: times being what they are the film in my fridge may be good for nothing but hockey pucks a couple of years from now.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 08, 2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope Ferrania will one day produce pre striped stock again, even if it has to be acetate. Then I would be first in the queue again for a Nizo. Hopefully before my grandchildren come along! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 10, 2015 04:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to see pre stripe again even in silent cassettes such as Agfa used to offer up which was very handy back then. Striping acetate is not a problem and been at it here since the 70's also demoing the process as many amateurs did back the around the cine club circuit which was great fun.

I know what you mean Steve I often find myself treading over old filmic ground, it must be something we slip into when we get older. Its so special when a film comes back from a lab and through your letter box awaiting the results and I just hope the latest shoot is OK as it was touching top stops at the shoot.

I've gone to the extent of buying another duff Nizo for spares to keep my best 6080 going just in case as its a wonderful camera giving super results every time. Mind you back in the 80's I was using a Kodak Instimatic (before I converted it to 3D) and that gave great pictures as well.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 10, 2015 04:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I filmed recently only on 9.5 as I'm waiting for Ferrania's come back before using the last super 8 cartiges I have left (I keep them "in cas of"). The last time (in January) I filmed in super 8 was on Agfa 200 stock. This stock is perfect when you need to use your camera in poor lighting conditions (which was my case last time) but I think it is too grainy in normal conditions. As you, I would be very happy to be able to find sound cartriges (normal or prestriped) but, seen the market, I would be satisfaited with a good long term available silent stock. Ferrania seems to be one of our last hopes.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2015 05:18 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I thought it had gone a bit quiet here about the Ferrania project. I only wish they would market matching home processing kits as they did in the 1970s, some of their CR25 standard 8 and CR50 slide film I processed then still looks good.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 11, 2015 04:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did some cine transfers of some very old 8mm Ferrania and sadly the colour had gone. I expect we have all watched the video clips of the boys cleaning the machinery which looks a labour of love for them and nice to see the gleam coming back to the aluminium at long last. We do wonder what the colour will look like on the new Ferrania films hoping it holds to the past perhaps?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 11, 2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, it's the first time I hear that Ferrania old film lost their colours. Of course, as you suggest, the 2015 stock will be different, but it could be interesting if other members had expériences to share with Ferrania films.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2015 03:53 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still shooting plenty, Lee. My weapon of choice in the last few years has been the three Vision stocks, which look stunning after telecine. The only reversal stock I shoot is Tri-X, perfect for music video's and spoof 60's trailers!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2015 04:29 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still shooting on a regular basis, mostly Regular 8mm. I'm down to my last few carts of E100D in super 8 but still have over 300 feet of it on Regular 8mm. I hope it holds out until Ferrania gets something going. Not interested in negative stock, I want to project it.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 06:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had some nice colourful super 8 results back from the lab and finding Agfa 200D really versatile even in blazing sunshine and no ND filter.

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC