8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A universal 8 & No fade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A universal 8 & No fade
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 11, 2015 03:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we had a surprise tonight, we decided to put through both our Battlestar Galactica films.
Both,as you know, were released by universal 8 and originally on 2 x 400ft reels. Battlestar Galactica and Mission Galactica.
We have mounted ours onto 1 600ft spool and used the original box to make a full size 600 ft label on the front and back and covered them neatly with good quality sticky back plastic. We last watched them both in 2010.
Well, we were convinced they were going to be red! we put BG on first and aside light fade it has held up really well, very surprised. However,
We then put Mission Galactica through & were gob smacked at how good this print is, no fade ,great colour and absolutely pin sharp,(the images here really do not do it justice). The space is black and the whites are white, i dont think i have seen a universal 8 print with colours like this one apart from when they were new, although my National Lampoons animal house comes very close.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 11, 2015 03:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that is holding up well Tom. Quite a few are I've found. It's as if they do their majority of fading early on and just stay the same way for a long time thereafter.

Grease is a good example of what I'm saying, it was never perfect even when I had 3x 400ft in the 90's for its colour. Yet here I am 25 or so years later and my second identical copy of this seems no worse now than it was then?

I have found certain Viacom prints age in a similar manner while others are just beetroot. It's really strange in many ways what makes one print age very differently from another, yet in theory, they ought to be identical. [Confused]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2015 03:41 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no better feeling than discovering no fade on a print you haven't seen for a while. Quite a few of my U8 releases have kept their colour and still look great today. The only faded ones I spotted during my last large scale check a few months ago was The Jerk and North Sea Hijack.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 11, 2015 03:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to love the cut down of The Jerk first time around. It was my first "brand new bargain buy" first time around in the hobby. I wish some of these had made the later low fade stock.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 11, 2015 04:15 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we also checked our High plains drifter, a really good cut down and this one is also still really good, it always looks worse until the titles go, im sure it just seems it but then there is a lot daylight scenes which lasts longer colour wise,that said the night scenes are black. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC