8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex h8 Rex 4 threading

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex h8 Rex 4 threading
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to explain to a friend a difference of threading of a Bolex H8 Rex 4, compared to other models.
With the photo I'll explain.
Who has a Rex 4 confirms that the film is passed as in photo 1 and not as in photo 2?
My friend had doubts because the white arrow of loading seems to be heading towards the other opening, but if the film is pushed in as in photo 2 does not snap.
I know that in other models the film slips into the opening but not in Rex 4. Confirm?.

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 06:18 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, I don't think the film will even fit into the location of the arrow in your second picture. Don't forget to rotate the loop former lever between the sprockets down then back up after the film is run through. The video below is the H16 Rex 4 but they are basically the same.

Loading H16 Rex 4

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 08:02 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Bryan, I seem to remember that you have a H8 Rex 4, right?
You're right, when I making the photo I forgot to rotate the loop (IMPORTANT!), but I gave it to be understood.

Ah, I saw that video but the H16 not have the little part at righ with the second screw (I find it difficult to explain in English), but, yes, have same metohod for put the film. So it's more intuitive put the film in the right hole, on the H16.

Ah, I event don't move the run switch on "M" (as in video), I prefer to press the frontal run key. With the "M" the film runs too fast! [Smile]

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 09:37 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, film has to be loaded as in picture 2 and not as in picture 1.
If you check the camera, you see that there is a guide with two rollers and film should go between the rollers.

The picture you posted are more similar to the H16 Rx and not to the Rex4 of the video (you see there is a different loading mechanism).
Be always sure to cut the film with the proper cutter and, if it's the case, load the camera with a 18fps speed and not at 24fps.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 01:59 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabrizio, I know it's strange, I have a manual of an oldest H8 and it threadings as photo 2 (and many H8 charge so), but the Rex 4 is threading, I THINK, as the photo 1.
I would like to show because the H8 Rex 4 model loads as in photo 1, but it is difficult to photograph of film the important point which would not allow the film to pass. It's a little metal tongue.
But yes, I always threading with 18frame/s.

This is H8 Rex 3, with mechanism simil to H16 of video. Threading like H8 Rex4 but without little metal piece at right.
 -

I'm writing a little 'everywhere online to dispel the doubt. There isn't a separate manual for H8 Rex 4 but only one additional sheet that explains the difference on the pinion of the motor.

[ June 13, 2015, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Luigi Castellitto ]

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 06:02 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, the mechanism in picture 1 and 2 is the same as my Bolex Rx and it doesn't matter that you have an H8 whatever series.
Furthermore, also the arrows inside the camera tell you that the film should be loaded as in picture 2.
If you have problems in loading in that way, then there is something in your camera that is not working correctly. Maybe that little tongue your saying or the film that isn't perfectly aligned.
In any case, proceed as you feel safe. The importance is that the camera doesn't scratch film if the loading mechanism you're using is not the correct one.

BTW, I'm not Maurizio

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2015 06:10 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FABRIZIO (sorry! [Big Grin] ) I will check better the camera, it could be a problem of mechanism as you say. But there aren't stability problems if the load as in photo 1.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2015 01:51 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Jean Louis answered your question on the Filmshooting Forum, I would go with what he said, he knows Bolex cameras. He said to follow the arrow in the second photo. I'm not home right now so I don't have my camera in front of me but I need to take a look at how I've been loading it.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2015 07:49 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, elsewhere responded that you have to follow the photo 2, but (again, I know it's weird) remain in doubt that the ONLY Rex 4 has a variation of the mechanism.
And take into account that:
- The part of the camera where the white arrows are printed is the same as the other models, to save productions of piece, not done one specific for Rex 4
- The mechanism where you should put the film in the photo 2 is different from the other Rex, only TOP looks identical.
However they are only hypotheses, I'm not sure of any of the two options, I'll do a video for explain the differences.

EDIT:
In this video you can see how the camera is loaded with the method of photo 1. The film has no hitch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXD3vPlOBo&feature=youtu.be

In this video you can see how the camera can not "pull" the film with the method of photo 2. I tried to film the detail of the mechanism.
As mentioned before, the mechanism only from above seems like any other H8 Rex, but if you look carefully you see that it is done on purpose to make only "support" the film on his side, but not to "contain" the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWBZYXPMjSM&feature=youtu.be

Of course, all this is just to see if the problem is of my camera or not, and also to inform about this curiosity of Bolex H8 Rex 4.

[ June 14, 2015, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Luigi Castellitto ]

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, why do you wind the film in that way before loading in the camera? Try to load the film in the camera without making that preliminary hand winding against it's natural curvature

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Fabrizio, I usually leave the natural curvature, but somehow I saw tutotial that "smooth" the film and I tried, but also with the natural curvature is the same thing: like in the picture 1 film slips and all is well (that you say? it seems to me that the film flowing very well, and the film does not show scratches), but if I put it like in the picture 2 does not enter and the film is scratches at height of holes.

Have you noticed that the piece of metal on the right, although in the video we see little, is built precisely to allow for support of the film? Everything is curved to the left to make space for the film stuck to his right, and it does not seem damaged.

However, to try to unravel the question, I am going to give me a book about Bolex, which should also report updates after Rex 3. We hope there is something!

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film does not load as in photo 2, it would depend from the little metal tongue which I framed well in this photos.
Or... is the entire piece of metal only screwed too far to the left (also because the little tongue is of very hard metal and there isn't sign of bending): I can make this test with slightly loosening the screw without doing damage. I keep you updated.

-

-

I tried to ask the Bolex Switzerland, they are very professional, they would remove all my doubts, but I should send it and for a machine that works well (by loading it from the other side without that the film is damaged), that I use for years without any problem, which has a good stability of the film, it is well greased, which is essentially in good condition, do not feel like spending more than €300 for a little metal piece, understand me, eheh! [Big Grin]
Can anyone confirm that the little is in right position? Other suggestions? [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC