8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Value of Laurel and Hardy Films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Value of Laurel and Hardy Films
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2015 03:02 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know why the value of Laurel and Hardy films has dropped so drastically? I see what they are selling for now on eBay and I cringe at what I paid for them 15 - 20 years ago. The price in today's dollars is less than when new in 1970's dollars.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 16, 2015 03:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason i can think of is that some,(not all) of the titles are in such an abundant supply. Most of the remaining dealers always have a very good selection of titles. There not rare enough at the moment to hold up any value.(i guess).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 16, 2015 03:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the joy of collecting Laurel and Hardy: when you get in the mood for one you usually don't have to wait very long!

Joe?

Has anybody mentioned CineSea to you?

-as a New Jersey film collector you really should know about it.

(Get on the Garden State Parkway and head for a weekend of film!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 16, 2015 03:37 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The L&H films aren't always in-demand, per se - Point is, fluctuates as does most markets - The seldom-seen titles;
UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE, BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (Partially restored), and the Vitaphone Scored-Silents, these always command a premium - Back when, I was getting the silents
for $10-$20 on average, and occasionally the talkies for
near-same or to $25 - They are rare, with the boxes, and
darn-near mint (my own designation) - Shorty

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2015 03:40 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unacustomed as we are was one of a few L&H films that were released originally in both silent and sound versions, as sound was just coming in. I have the silent version.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 16, 2015 04:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we now have 27 laural and hardys, always puts a smile on our faces. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 16, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent you a recent inbox Tom. Hopefully this will be of interest to you when you read it. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2015 08:24 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I've seen some posts here about CineSea. Looks interesting.

A 16mm Blackhawk print of BE BIG sold for $36 today on eBay. I paid more than that for my Super 8 print almost 20 years ago.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 17, 2015 05:46 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, BE BIG is one of the rarer titles, not the greatest seller either, hence cost is more - Sometimes it all depends on who you're dealing with

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 17, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the less popular films that didn't sell that well became the rarer films that now demand a higher price?

This is different from car collecting. Often the rarer cars were the ones with the ugly colors and undesirable options (small engine in a big car, for example). Nobody wanted them then and it has stayed that way.

I guess the difference comes when you are trying to get every film in a series.

-almost nobody collects every car in a model range.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2015 02:29 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So shouldn't BE BIG have gone for a lot more than $36 in 16mm?

If the prices continue to plummet, my films are going in the box with me -- I'll put that in my will! [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 18, 2015 02:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty is quite correct. Due to ebay, (with all of it's good and bad points), the super 8 market has been absolutely FLOODED with laurel and hardy's, Chaplin's ect. and brought down the prices, which is good and bad.

Good in the sense that I was recently able to buy a super 8 sound 600ft print of "The Music Box" for 14.95 and it's an excellent print, and bad for those that have great Blackhawk collections, but are getting almost pennies on the dollar for they're investment of years gone by.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2015 05:07 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do these people live in the 'reel' world??...
web page Super 8 Silent

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite "vladimpaler68" prices though. Seen this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/it m/SUPER-8mm-Film-UN-CHIEN-ANDALOU-SALVADOR-DALI-LUIS-BUNUEL-B-W-SILENT-/221792790367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a3e1675f
I'm not interested - I have a copy.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2015 06:12 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know his prices are ludicrous example 400ft 'Devil Rides Out' £75, I bet he got it for tenner...Going off topic sorry...But this is the best with damaged stripe...
web page Million Years BC

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 19, 2015 07:27 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films, like comic books, gum cards, certain books, LPs and related in-box toys, model kits, are all investments - There is a market (book) on almost all of it, except motion picture film - I can think of 3 reasons, but won't go into all of that right now (come down to Wildwood and we'll talk it over) - Importantly, ALL films, in ANY gauge are now rare - With some exceptions, what we have is what we got - Common titles, such as TWO TARS, BIG USINESS, BUSY BODIES, always round-out to the $20 range, more or less - Preferred ones, like UNACCUSTOMED and BLOTTO, score a premium - Like stock, what is popular, naturally goes higher - Again, depends on the colletor/dealer, whcih is my strongest reason for "live" shows, once you are one-on-one with someone, holding the item, talking and all, a satisfactory conclusion can only arrive - Nothing against EBAY, I've picked up many novelties there - But I digress, You get what you pay for, and no matter how far technology takes us, collectors will always beat a path to your door if you have what they want - Film is a nice investment, for yourself and others, think on that - Shorty

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 12:08 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that prices dip when credible DVD and Blu-ray sets get released. The Vevendi Entertainment L&H set had a definite effect on both the supply and price of L&H reels, as did the restored Chaplin Blu-rays.

By contrast, the OUR GANG shorts still fetch more because there has yet to be a truly decent disk release of their shorts.

I also think it's true that as time goes on, those that want certain titles on film get them, so the overall demand goes down as unwanted prints reach the hands of those who still needed them.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar pattern with the introduction of VHS, as many recall, collectors dumped their film in favor of the tape, much to their later regret - No matter how far technology takes us, there will always be the want for where it started; motion picture film - Shorty

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
Talking Vladimpaler - how about this one!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-5mm-Film-FRITZ-LANG-METROPOLIS-1926-B-W-SILENT-5-X-300FT-/221808420451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a4cfe663

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 01:39 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Similar pattern with the introduction of VHS, as many recall, collectors dumped their film in favor of the tape, much to their later regret - No matter how far technology takes us, there will always be the want for where it started; motion picture film - Shorty
I never went for VHS, I stayed with the film. Then I bought laserdisc and films side by side. However, I have to admit, tho I still have a great fondness for film and always will, the "golden age" of movie collecting is on Blu-ray right now for me.

It's given me the never dreamed of chance to see 35mm theatrical quality on my living-room projection screen, all in its proper aspect ratio for roughly $18 a feature. People have no idea how spoiled they are. Collecting film is what still keeps me in awe of what we have at our disposal right now.

I suppose the truth is that owning appreciable copies of films from the past has somewhat lost it's novelty to all but the staunch cinefile.

By the way that 9.5 of METROPOLIS looks very nifty, but £3000 ?! Surely they jest?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 04:54 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well he does have the Collector's Club standard 8 9x200 ft version up for "only" £175.
Looking through his "Shop" he has a 16mm copy of the John Cleese training film "Who sold you this then?" with the warning not to be used for training for £75.
Does he actually sell many films, I wonder?

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 05:09 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I think he's a 'Chancer',in hope that there may be some fool with more money and nothing to spend it on...I don't think he sales any of the films, the list always seems the same...I think if I were to pay his prices, My other half would impale me...

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 08:37 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seller has blocked me from bidding on his films
I only asked why he is charging so much for common titles
With regards laurel & hardy (Early to Bed) and (they go Boom)
These two titles seem fairly hard to find

--------------------
t.smith

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Terry, I think he's a 'Chancer',in hope that there may be some fool with more money and nothing to spend it on...I don't think he sales any of the films, the list always seems the same...I think if I were to pay his prices, My other half would impale me...
That's such a fanciful notion, but I know every venue of collecting has these guys. I just wonder if they actually sell anything. After all, I doubt there are many novice 9.5 collectors. If they know enough to own the format, they know enough not to pay close to five grand for a well heeled abridgment of METROPOLIS.

I must admit, as far as home prints go, that one looks a hell of a lot better than my Griggs Moviedrome Super 8 did. With the burned-in subtitles, it can't be first generation, but even from those blow-ups, it looks tight.

How long does a 300ft reel of 9.5 run?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 01:01 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
300ft of 9.5 film would be roughly 10mins. But I'm sure others could give you the exact run time.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC