8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How Many New Derann Features did you buy ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How Many New Derann Features did you buy ?
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 28, 2015 03:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It started out as a post asking how many brand new full length features were purchased by individuals from Derann Winbert.
It has now included collectors telling us their entire Derann feature lists that includes second hand and abridged feature prints.

It's nice to see other collectors collections, so as its just a bit a fun to list the prints, I don't suppose it really matters ultimately where they were purchased from, just the fact that they're all originally Derann features.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2015 03:35 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did buy most of my stuff new, not only from Derann. Sometimes the other dealers had a better deal on.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 28, 2015 09:17 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It started out as a post asking how many brand new full length features were purchased by individuals from Derann Winbert.
Not meant to killing your joy, but the topic's subject itself saying "How Many New Derann Features did you buy ?"

It clearly says that we are invited by the thread starter to share:

1. New
2. Derann Feature (only)

We are very often dragging the topic out of the original intention.

This is not meant to limit if somebody wants to open a new thread "How many your second hand F/L did you buy"...but just stick to the topic.

--------------------
Winbert

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 05:15 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has a new moderator been appointed? I rarely post here now, so perhaps I have missed something......

I don't see any complaints from the original postee re the "hijacking" or "expansion" of his topic.

I thought the idea of the forum was to discuss "film"?

Surely this should not be taken to the extent of discussing only "the chemical properties of the item in question" (subject to that being the "thread" title of course).

Let's keep the discussion and variations with topics on a light hearted, interesting basis not "written in tablets of stone"

How long before grammar, spelling and punctuation are bought to the forefront?

Will we have to submit "posts for editorial approval" before allowing "public" viewing?

Perhaps I shouldn't say that as I am not a "moderator" [Smile]

[ July 29, 2015, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 05:41 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lighten up Winbert!!!

Surely ALL film related discussion is good isn't it?

I'm loving this thread so please don't spoil it

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, you have not been here for quite long so perhaps you do not follow the recent trend in this forum that many topics have been getting out of the original subject. These have made some members to be sicked and tired.

I am not the moderator but I don't see any wrong to remind each others.

Good luck!

--------------------
Winbert

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - I may not post here very often (for various reasons I won't go into) but I do follow the forum on a daily basis and I am quite well aware of the fact that topics can be "hijacked" but surely this is a matter for the original thread poster to pass comment on?

If Mark is quite happy with the way his original thread discussion is progressing (and I have no way of knowing if this is true or not - perhaps Mark would like to comment?) then where's the problem?

Conversations in normal life will often encompass many "subjects" that differ from the original "Good morning - how are you?".You would not reply to that question with -

"I am very well thank you - please start a new topic?"

This post may have "blossomed" from the "original flower" but it is still proving a very interesting "floral" display to most members.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 10:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, from Mark's first post below, although English is not my first language.....
quote:
My self, honestly, of the proper releases, non at all except a few optical sort of new/ex airline ones they sourced.

But I did buy an aweful lot of trailers new over the years.

...don't you feel he was talking new full features released by Derann ("proper release"), but Mark did not buy them except those new trailers?

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 10:19 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Keith 😊😊

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - of course Mark was refering to "Dearnn releases bought NEW. Of that there is no dispute. however if fellow collectors choose to expand their reply to cover "used" titles they have also bought is, that a problem?

As I said, if Mark wants members replies to be pedantically correct then surely he is the one to raise the issue?

If the post has not veered off into "the sublime or the ridiculous", as I know some posts in the past have, then surely any reference to one's collection is purely a "personal one" - willing to share that information with fellow collectors cannot be detrimental to the subject content.

After all we are on a "film forum" not collating info for the Library of Congress.

Best regards.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 29, 2015 10:52 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Threads can evolve without being considered to be hijacked. That's just normal human conversation. I've seen threads go from film-talk to hate-speech in the long past: now that's hijacking.

Technically I've never bought a new Derann feature, but after years of me saying how much I'd like to have a print, my wife bought me a brand new "Toy Story" towards the end of new Derann prints. It was a nice present!

It actually came with a bonus: when (I thought) it showed up I found out they sent me a print of "Hunchback of Notre Dame" by mistake. So for that weekend it was as if I rented a film! (It could have cost me dearly if it was a film I really liked.)

Given enough time, there were more I would have bought. That six months no interest made a lot of things possible that would have been budget-busters otherwise.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 12:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, in many forums, there is always a misconception that the thread starter is the owner of the thread, so everything is up to him/her. i think, we, member can also criticize the thread if there is something not correctly written according to the forum's rule. It is not always moderator doing this but it is always moderator who will decide whether this attitude can be continued or must be stopped.

Now back to my critic, if you meant that to share what films member own, no matter Derann or from other companies we have had that thread, so you or anyone can keep this thread alive by continuing here rather to make a new one:

How Many Films Do You Own On Super 8?

Moreover, if we want to share ONLY Derann releases that members own, no matter used or new, this forum has had also for that particular thread below:

What Derann's do you own?

Now, Mark Todd has started something new that I see the merit. He (and now myself) wanted to see what NEW Derann features have member purchased. For me this is quite interesting to see how dare is members here to spend that a lot of money for fulfilling his/her hobby habits.

But now with a mixed reply between used and non Derann....I could not find that ...that is why I am criticizing the out of topic trends here.

Hope you understand.

Cheers

[ July 29, 2015, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 12:32 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - I am well aware of those previous threads, having already contributed to them, however, you are missing a very important factor here.

You are the only forum member (so far) that has a problem with the content of the thread.

Unfortunatly what has now happened is that Mark's thread has, in effect, been "hijacked" because of the comment in your post regarding the the "extra" content in the post, which a majority of the contributors have no problem with. Other contributers to this thread have an obvious interest merely by the fact that they have taken the trouble to post replies, albeit their replies happen to fall into the "grey" spectrum rather than your ideal "black or white" spectrum.

I will take this time to apologise to Mark and other forum members for being a participant in this "hijacking".

Let the thread get back on topic.

Hop many NEW Derann features have you bought Winbert?

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 29, 2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a thread has been hijacked by discussion of hijacking?

Maybe we need a new "hijacking" thread, just hoping people stay on topic, and not turn it into a film-thread

I guess it's not a good time to mention what I would have bought eventually had Derann stayed at it.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 01:29 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith if you were aware of that previous thread why you were not using it but rather writting here that is off from the subject meant to be.

Now to answer your question (and also Mark's), no I have not had NEW DERANN releases.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 02:09 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - Sorry you have not had the pleasure of purchasing NEW Derann features.

It would be remiss of me to take up anymore "forum space" that is obviously "off-topic". We have both aired our opinions and I would like to allow the thread to resume its "purpose", whatever the contributors may add to it whether it be to member/forum etiquette or not.

I will return from whence I came and enjoy the varied content of the forum as an observer. I stand by my comment that the forum is, in my opinion, here for enjoyment of film, not the pedanticism of the content being posted.

Again, my apologies to Mark and fellow members for allowing myself to partake in the "hijacking of a thread," by daring to disagree with a fellow member and "Film God". [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 02:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 02:32 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the direction of this thread only serves to validate Paul Barker's use of the word "obsession" from another thread.........

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some brand new sandwiches from the supermarket the other day, I eat them whilst I was watching a feature film I bought new from Derann a long time ago, but half way through the movie I was hijacked by the SAS, I found my own back though, does that count [Big Grin] [Wink]
Anyway, carry on as you were chiefs

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 29, 2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The expansion of the topic seemed organic to me. Conversation tends to flow to related subjects, however it normally returns to the original theme. There are times when the discussion gets so removed from the topic that I will post a reminder, however I never felt this thread had been knocked off course until it became a discussion of hijacking. If members feel the need to pursue that particular topic, please start a new thread.

Now we can return to our purchases of Derann features. I bought most of mine used from Derann, however I did order from Gary brand new prints of Lady and the Tramp and Master and Commander. Not very good as a double feature. [Smile]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug - My use of the word "hijacking" was used in the context of replying to a comment made by a fellow member about the "topic content" being, in his opinion, "abused" and irrelevant to his understanding of the post title.

My comment was,in my opinion, that "conversations should be allowed to "flow organically" and not be "regimented" by pedantism. In making my comment, along with other members, I felt that the course of the "flow" was, in my opinion, moving away from the subject in question, which was, I feel, what my fellow commenter was intimating would happen when we "diviate" from the "precise wording of the thread title".

By your own admission, you agree with fact that topics can and will vary during their course, and should not be allowed to go "too far off-topic", otherwise the moderator would step in. This is what I wanted to avoid by continuing to remonstrate with a "psuedo-moderator".

As I said previously, if anyone has been offended by the term "hijacking" then I apologise profusely. It was never my intention to "upset" the "forum applecart", by stating that.

Topics do benefit, in most instances, by "flowing" and not being "restrictive", which, in my opinion, can result in a very short topic content.

However - "Que sera sera"

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Tom, as thread origionator ( so to speak )as for me you can talk about your budgie being slightly off colour, or your underpants being a bit too tight today !!! if you want to, mixed in with ther filmie bits.

These things open up and on here it always feels like a group of friends having a right old rattle on.

Its all interesting anyway, nice to see the opticals pop up and other bits.

Thing is just as I got properly in to film, I also got properly in to the ladies, then babies, and so on, so a number of times I nearly went for new features, that now I really wish I had done.

I remember being offered a mint unused GS1200 and was going to on the sneaky go for it, but on one of the phone calls the EX overheard me. So that went quickly down the pan.

Similarly I had a nasty habbit of humming the film music of good things I was going to sneaky buy so was regulary rumbled and down they came in flames ( almost !!! oooerrr ).

Still have 3 kids ( the a fair bit older one is 22 but going on 13 ) so features are still out of the question so its still just trailers and a few shorts for me. But real film is my absolute first love but my film watching is now dosed with reality.

I`d love to have bought

Predator
Silence of the Lambs ( hired it from Derann once )
All Hammers.
T2
Highlander
Jack the Giant Killer and
Jason and the argonauts to start with. ( had the Talos scene though )

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 29, 2015 03:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I complete agree Keith. For some time now I have said that the term hijacked is an overused term on here for what often is nothing more than natural progression of a subject under discussion, just as occurs in natural face to face conversation.

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2015 03:52 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew - Thank you for your "comment".

However, if you agree shouldn't this be done by starting a "new topic" [Eek!]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 29, 2015 04:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What were we talking about?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC