8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Too much digital on the Forum? (Topic change) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Too much digital on the Forum? (Topic change)
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2015 04:27 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
Trying to contact you regarding the lamps you requested but I am on your ignore list?? Is there a problem?
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I let him know. He is not on here too often. You are welcome to join us on facebook where we are more

Search for Reel Magic and you find us

Update: He told me, he left the forum entirely.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 01:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a real shame that Robert felt he needed to leave the forum.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2015 04:15 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it was not because of me! I offered him some lamps that he was looking for and he asked me to hold them for him till the end of the month. If he doesn't want them and is afraid it will upset me, please tell him it is not a problem. I would sooner give him a couple free than for it to end like this. He was a well respected Forum member and it will be sad to lose him.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 04:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Terry! I am sure it isn't anything you've said or done Terry [Frown]

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 05:41 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe it's more that the forum gets more digital, which is also the reason I consider this. We are having great film discussions on tje Reel Magic facebook page. Loads of people posting film rooms, films they bought and screenshots. Buying and selling we also encourage.

I do not think it's personal

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 30, 2015 11:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a valid point Vidar, but one I hope we don't loose too many people because.

At the end of the day, this should be the best place to post artefacts and instructions regarding film equipment and films themselves. It should also be the most private place unlike FB.

We just need our members, including myself I hasten to add, to discuss just film items and film related equipment in anything other than General Yak.

Hopefully that way,we keep you Vidar and every other valued film collector.

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2015 02:02 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar
I do hope it's not personal as I did nothing other than offer lamps and we agreed a price. I would not have been offended at all had he changed his mind, but it would have been nice had he informed me. To be put on an 'ignore list' makes one feel a little like an undesirable. Having said that - no hard feelings please and I do hope Robert returns to our fold. I agree with Andrew that we are a more intimate and dedicated group than anything Facebook could offer, but sometimes we do stray from the intended purpose.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 02:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The BFCC fb page is a great addition to us all but could never br considered an alternative by myself. Too many pop ups from outside nembers of fb while wanting only to talk film.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 05:13 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you have a virus, Andrew. There is no pop ups at all. And game requests is domething you just block and they won't come again. Same with friends you want to accept. Your choice who you accept.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 06:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No Vidar, no viruses.. Just peple asking about you while on fb as they can see you've logged in. Nothing wrong with that of course, after all these are your friends, just may not be convenient timing while talking and reading film related stuff.

I know you can alter your settings for this, but these settings are what i want for using FB as intended.. Just perhaps not when looking at film related matters.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2015 08:49 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar,

I'm curious how this forum is becoming more digital.

There are the various sections for the small gauge formats, and the understanding that digital stuff goes in General Yak. The Format sections are active, and other than the "Please help me transfer my Dad's movies" conversations are all film. Even General Yak is mostly everything but video.

It's been this way over a decade now. Years ago there were questions about adding a video section, and the membership pretty unanimously voted it down (with the General Yak Compromise).

What's the difference you're seeing?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 11:33 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a feeling more people thinks digital is good or even better. Comments in various threads. Since it's not only me, can't be my imagination either. Don't care to read about DVD's or Blu-Ray ramblings and how good they look. My feelings only

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2015 12:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think conversation like that has been ongoing pretty much since the start. It's to be expected.

I'd say it's very possible to enjoy both technologies on their merits. Personally I have digital video pouring into the house over a hundred channels and 24 hours a day, and yet those few minutes when the house gets quiet and I project a reel are always a treat.

If would have been so easy back in VHS days when the image was plainly poorer. I went to a meting of The Sons of the Desert a few years ago and they were large-screen projecting a VHS tape of "Way Out West".

-it was almost painful!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both this forum and Facebook are good, there are some amazing 8mm film making stuff on Facebook.

Heaps to look at on "Facebook" and join in if you want...my daughter says I am boring because of all the film stuff I put on [Big Grin] ...but its fun all the same, and through it I have sent photos of the old cinema etc to those I once worked with....its all good stuff. [Wink] [Smile]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I got fed up with Facebook a couple of months back and have deleted my account. So much nonsense and endless notifications and trivia... People posting pictures of their lunch. So I don't even look at it anymore and what a relief! Quite a process to delete yourself too, they really don't want you to go.

I hear Facebook and Twitter are going to merge. It's going to be called Twitface.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 05:33 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on what you do. I do not get much I don't want. Block games, that's the first thing. Be friends with only the ones you want. Met a lot of nice reel people that's on my passion level.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 06:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree Vidar

Through "Facebook" I have caught up with people I once worked with in Aviation and lost touch, family overseas. Its not all about baked potato and what you had for breakfast [Big Grin] as some here have suggested. Anyway what's wrong with a baked potato. I had some with cheese in it the other night and it was yum [Big Grin]

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2015 07:22 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Great points, Steve Klare, regarding General Yak, etc., and I agree --

Vidar, why is it not a good thing that some people think "digital is good or even better"? I enjoy digital and all of its qualities, but that doesn't mean that I'm getting rid of my Super 8mm and 16mm films. Just because there's a welcomed new method that allows a hobbyist to screen literally any movie he/she wants, rather than just be limited to the titles that have been legitimately released on Super 8 over the past 50 years, is not a bad thing in my mind.

To each his own, but after 40-plus years in the hobby, I've found that life is too short to employ a mindset that any new movie-screening technologies are bad simply because they're new and different. Let's enjoy it all, I say!! 😃 Keeping an open mind will only help the longevity of this hobby.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 07:32 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated somewhere before, I am on the film forum and my interests are film, not video. There's DVD forums if I want that and would go there for discussing video.

This is exactly the feeling I get here, not true film lovers. I too have digital, but film is my passion and we are enjoying film talk on the facebook pages. And for me, this is more apparent now than two years ago.

I am done with this discussion now, let's agree to disagree

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2015 08:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sense just a hint of orthodoxy here!

I show films, some of which I made myself, on projectors that work because I repaired them. My sound is through a sound system parts of which I built myself from my own design. I listen through a set of speakers that I re-foamed because the woofers were blown. I love every bit of it because is distinctly mine.

Still the same, there are times it's just nice to lay on the couch and watch a disk.

-heretic though I may be!

This is a hobby. Let's never let it become so important we need to start figuring out who the true believers are.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 31, 2015 09:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Vidar may have picked on some bad vibes from "The Jungle Book" that was on sale here on the forum.

Instead of letting the seller get on with the film sale, the topic did move onto a comparison of the Blu-ray, and in general the Derann features such as "The Lion King" and how better the Blu-ray was.

Those comments are not helping the seller of "The Jungle Book".

Graham. [Smile]

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 03:17 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is great having a "general Yak" section in which to post...it means exactly what it says.."general Yak". Each section has it's place - that has got to be good. It allows variety yet still keeps thing in their place. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 08:10 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see this forum or Small Format going more digital particularly. There is a lot going on with new stuff for cine in fact like the Van Eck 3D printing of parts, including the green guides for Elmo and Paul Browning is doing a project to make brand new xenon reflectors for the GS xenon. ( I'm in for two of those.) Loads of eBay listings for film and equipment. I've spent a packet this year on a Pedestal projector, new unicol professional stands and two great NOS Elmo 16mm lenses. I'm committed. Or is it 'should be'. Cine is well and truly alive round my place. I do also have a video projector and it shouldn't be wrong to talk about video sometimes. It might be different if guys who were 'only' video guys kept butting in but the video talk is all from people who do both, I think.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 01, 2015 10:29 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original topic was about Robert's presence on the Forum. He has made his decision not to participate and I will miss his posts.

The feeling that there are too many threads dedicated to the digital side is very subjective. The General Yak area was started in November 2004 to accommodate requests by members who wanted to discuss other topics with the same group that they enjoyed talking about film with. I think it has worked out very well. I'm not particularly interested in collecting digital media, however I have no desire to limit those topics as long as they take place in the General Yak section. Having said that, I'm sorry I did not catch the off topic postings in the "Jungle Book" sale thread. Wrong place, wrong topic for those posts. I'm glad to see the film was successfully sold.

It is an interesting discussion, so I will be changing this topic title to "Too much digital on the Forum?"

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC