8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Too much digital on the Forum? (Topic change) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Too much digital on the Forum? (Topic change)
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 01, 2015 10:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is sad is not that there is too much discussion about digital but too many members recently promoting it like if they had the purpose to kill film by comparing both media and seeing only big adavanges for digital and all the possible defaults for film. As Vidar said it is a film forum so if people prefer digital, why posting here ? I have nothing (even if it doesnt' interest myself) against discussions about the quality of a recently released blu ray or a question the use of a digital projector but why denigrate film on a film forum ? That said, I'm not a Facebook fan and I prefer the forum. There are great people here !

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 01, 2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good rule of thumb is the topic of a sales thread is the specific film or machine for sale itself, not how great the 25 disk DVD set was or how you think your cousin's old neighbor had one of those projectors and it scratched everything he ran (-then again, he wasn't ever the brightest bulb in the chandelier, was he?)

25 disk Laurel and Hardy DVD set in General Yak?

-fine.

25 disk Laurel and Hardy DVD set glued into a review of a Blackhawk Super-8 print?

-nope!

It's just so easy to drift like this instead of applying the brakes, taking the exit and starting over again.

-but this is why we have these topic sections, not just so you don't pollute my discussion of the 60hz. notch filter I built into my sound system with your 1080i ultra-indignifier, but so if you want to read about the 25 disk Laurel and Hardy DVD set you'll be able to find it in General Yak where it's supposed to be.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
You Are absolutely right! and Doug is wrong! The topic should not be changed - It is for the individual to start a new topic. Otherwise it is imposible to retro find answers to questions on any particular subject. The fact that a member has left the Forum should not affect the decision to change the topic. The problem remains however that members 'Drift', as Steve rightly points out, from the original topic to totally irrevelant matters. That is what Doug should address.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 06:11 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read this forum a lot and I don't see posts 'denigrating' film or anything like that, far from it. Certainly not in my posts and if people think that they are reading them wrong. I do all kinds of media as I've said before. It isn't an either/or for me.

[ August 07, 2015, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Steven J Kirk ]

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 01, 2015 08:08 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ll be upfront here and say I think Digital movie viewing is one of the best things to happen regarding watching films in the home, And after all its about appreciating the actual film itself.

I watched some cracking foreign films lately and Netflix and Amazon via My LCD projector and they were amazing. Not the image as such, the actual films themselves, and much added to as watched 10 feet wide.

But this is a forum full of like minded people who love real films first and foremost, but then do enjoy Digital as well.

Gernally speaking we are all getting on a bit though and the hobby needs some new people, younger people to get on board, and they may trip in to our hobby from a digital point.

Now, unless you have unlimited funds you can`t really have a good enough turn round on real film, and a few of us still have kids as well, me as I became a parent later in life.

I don`t think the film side of things here has anything to worry about at all and the general yak section really makes the forum more interesting, and not really because of digital particularly.

A broader spread with more interest is more likely to keep people coming here. The magic of real film is in the middle of it and the driving force, but I think the magic of that is strong enough survive a few digital based posts etc.

One of the nicest posts in general Yak lately was about real film, sadly its demise on 35mm, but still a great post.

Also lets not forget that families and people with a digital projector are now again sitting down together to watch a film, lights off, sharing the experiance etc, its great.

There is a core of regular people on here who love real film, and its just a cracking little forum.

For all its negative effects here and there, Digital has actually increased interest in film watching, even in real film. You look on any Blu Ray forum etc and film grain, origional film elements are talked about regarding HD etc in a way they simply weren`t a few years ago.

Don`t worry anyone on here regarding real film, its what it is, its here to stay but everything moves along a bit as time goes on as well.

Best Mark.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 08:32 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven and Mark, I agree with your thoughtful (and interesting) comments. I, too, don't see anyone denigrating film on this forum -- if anything concerns me about the hobby lately is the strict adherence to dogma and purist for purist's sake that some in the hobby expect as it relates to "film." That certainly will ensure that the hobby won't have much years left in it by resulting in running off any prospective new entrants.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 01, 2015 10:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Mark's comments. Digital projection in the home is a wonderful thing. We now have picture quality and sound quality as good as any professional digital cinema, and tens of thousands of films to choose from. My wife and I watch a digital projected move about three times a week, and it is always an enjoyable experience. The PQ and sound is for the most part amazing, and even some of the streamed movies off YouTube can make for a good viewing. The Super 8mm will always be there for me to enjoy its particular magic, and yes Disney S8 prints are IMO better than the blu ray's. So for me, its a great time to be a home showman.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 11:05 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree Paul -- I can't think of a better time to be in the hobby!

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 01:18 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven
As a relatively new member of this Forum I was unaware that Robert Crewdson had been banned and I have no idea what for. I have to admit that this puts a completely different light on my opinion. As my wife would say 'it's not often I'm right but it looks like I'm wrong again!' Lol

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong but as far as I have read on here, Robert left and certainly wasn't banned from the forum, was he??

I certainly would like to hope not!
Robert has been a true gentleman throughout my time on the forum and his posts always make interesting reading to me.
His comments of a negative persuasion to some were only ever due to his passion for real film on a real film forum.

He he has actually been banned on here I believe that would be a complete injustice given some of the vile highly personal rants I have seen initially posted on here, only for those members "to still enjoy retaining their membership status on here.

Here's hoping Robert is still accepted here and soon he reconsiders his decision and posts again one day in the future!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 02, 2015 06:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Crewdson isn't banned here. It takes some doing to get banned and he hasn't "done".

Further up in this thread Vidar said he's just voluntarily stopped posting, and theorizes it's because we've gone "too digital", although he admits he's not sure about that.

So this is basically the Seinfeld Thread: we haven't gone digital and nobody's been banned.

-a show about nothing!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 06:37 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the kind of message I would put in the category "denigrating films vs digital" (it doesn't matter who wrote it, I just take this as an example to make things clearer and I don't want-I do insist on that-to blame anyone) : "i love blu ray. i have several steelbook editions. after years of collecting 8mm and 16mm i am now able to watch favourite films in great great quality. no worries re damage scratches fade etc. and excellent price too.god knows it beats me some of the quality some people will endure on 8 and 16. but everyone to their own.gone are my days of recieving dodgy prints and spending a small fortune for the privledge. had enough of that thank you very much. some really nice artwork on steelbooks so i understand people wanting and collecting them.some fabulous titles available too."

--------------------
Dominique

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 06:50 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a dyed in the wool 16mm enthusiast and have been for 40 odd years. I'm delighted that blu-ray is around because I can own a personal copy of something that on 16mm, a. Is rare or non existent, and b. Is probably beyond my price range. Isn't it first about films that we all enjoy and secondly how that gets to the screen? Last night I ran a reel of various items including trailers, newsreels and a serial. This was followed by 'Gravity' in 3D on a 55" screen. Both are what they are and both were enjoyed equally. Let's not go up the road of comparisons. It's totally futile. Let's enjoy the film experience (however it's produced) and be grateful we can enjoy both.

--------------------
Dave

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 06:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't agree more Dominique and I enjoy projecting blu ray as much as the next man!

Good news Steve thanks for clearing that one up.
As you say, Lord only knows what level of sin you would have to commit to actually be banned on here. Thankfully this previous post straight out of the rumour mill was just that..an untrue rumour. [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 02, 2015 06:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modern video is the chance for people to enjoy motion pictures in their home. It is cheap, it is easy, it is reliable, it is readily available.

-all great things.

What it lacks is challenge. My son has been using a DVD player since he was in pre-school. The picture is great because the picture is always great. Every department store, supermarket, convenience store and rummage sale has disks by the ton.

So this is a wonderful consumer medium but it's a little light on the hobby side: nothing to build, nothing to find, not really anything to maintain or repair.

There's nothing wrong with this by the way. There comes a moment when it's getting really late and I just can't face pulling down the screen, finding films, threading up the projector(s), turning on the amp watching the film(s) and then putting it all back.

-how nice to flop on the couch and grab a remote! (-or just read a book.)

It's just when I really need that shot of endorphins, this is just too passive to do it.

It explains why a guy drives past a supermarket on the way to and then from the lake to spend the day fishing. There's a respectable chance he'll return home without a fish, and the fish at the market are perfectly good. They are also a lot cheaper when you factor in the boat, trolling motor and fishing tackle.

-but the fish is not really the point: it's the challenge.

(Worse comes to worse he can stop by the market on the way home, maybe buy a steak instead...)

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 07:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here,one press of a remote control button for the screen, one to switch on the beamer, a few more presses for the Blu Ray player and the amp configurations, then sit back and enjoy!

Fabulous entertainment,but seriously lacking in anything tactile and not much of an actual hobby compared to the rewards of maintaining pieces of electro mechanical engineering genius and works of art on something actually real called film.

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 07:25 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some nice comments here. i respect anyone who collects, as they call it, real film. you dabble in what interests you . but i still do not know why some (real film) collectors feel so threatened by digital. i know its human nature to defend something we believe in. but lighten up. as i have said before its a hobby. an interest. we should welcome all formats and just enjoy the big screen experience.after all is that not what its about.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 07:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We are all suitably light hearted Paul [Big Grin]
But no...for me at least, watching what appears on the screen is only part of our hobby,however I have never felt once threatened by my Black plastic box bolted to the ceiling and I doubt my Beaulieu ever will either no matter how often the said white or black or even silver box is superceded. [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 10:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we emphasize on "collector" to describe who we are?

Similar to VW Buggy collector they are not driving this buggy everyday nor thinking owning a new VW is a sin. So although tla collector rides a new VW, he/she will not get rid their old VW buggy.

I am not going to debate between (the quality of) digital vs film but it is already proven, we collected VHS/Betamax, then LD, later DVD and now BluRay...they are going to rubbish bin eventually when the new format arrive.

DVDs (120 minutes F/L, color full, stereo, scratch free) are now sold from 50 cents to a dollar at thrift stores.

What do you price for your 200' (6 minute, color fade, mono sound, scratchy) of Tom & Jerry? At least $10.

I am using these digital formats at home for my daily entertainment but collecting super 8mm film for me is more precious since they have a long shelf live.

With all due respects, my VHS/Betamax have gone somewhere as well as my DVDs. My LDs are still here with me due to the size eqv. with LPs (my other collection), it looks nice to see them sit side by side. But I am not going to collect BluRay (read: collecting not watching), just rent or buy second hand for one time used as disposable item.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 11:16 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here's another way to look at it. In April my wife and I drove about 1,000 miles to go to CineSea. Would we have done that for a DVD convention? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 11:33 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never heard of a DVD convention.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 02, 2015 11:34 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually relieved to find out you drove, Paul.

-I can't imagine getting that Eumig through Security at the airport!

"OK, now start over...What is this thing again?"

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 02, 2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

As I wrote in the email I sent you before I changed the title, the topic change was done because:

1. Your question was answered in the second post. Robert has decided not to participate anymore.

2. This thread had taken on another life. If it was merely one or two replies I would have suggested starting a new thread, however 19 posts concerning "digitalization" had been posted. Even with my super moderator powers, I am unable to relocate large quantities of posts to a new thread.

Members look at topic headings to determine if they are of interest to them. The previous title would have given no clue as to what this thread had become. I stand by my decision to change the title.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 02, 2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a tribute to off-topic.

It has many topics and maybe even none.

By any chance does anybody here enjoy mountain biking? I think I'd like to go there next!

I brought mine to CineSea last time: is this an adequate segue?

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul's tale of 1000 mile drive to go and visit the U.S. convention and like minded folks says it all to me regarding the dedication felt by some collectors associated with our hobby.

Maurice is another fine example of the dedication expressed each time he does a 6 hour round trip to have his wonderful machines serviced by his preferred engineer.

Two fabulous examples of a level of dedication unlikely to be ever seen in the future generations in association with anything manufactured in the modern era connecting household AV / home cinema software or hardware.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC