8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 'Slack' Film on Reel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Slack' Film on Reel
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never come across this before, it doesn't matter how many times I rewind a certain film on the projector or re-winder the film is slack on the reel. I've put tension on it, still it is loose. The film runs perfectly,I bought it second hand and noticed it has green 'cinch' marks like drop-lets, this must have happened because of the loose re-wind and film sliding against it's self. Any ideas how to get a tight re-wind on this film? there is no VS...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 15, 2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately Steve I have found that this is a symptom of film that is beginning to warp and/or shrink. I have a few old films like this and they just will not rewind properly, I always end up with a loose reel and you can see gaps in the roll if you hold it up to the light. Lubrication helps but will not reverse the warpage.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2015 04:24 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem warped Paul, when I got it the film was spool inside out, so the curve of the film was the wrong way, could this be the reason this film will not re-wind tight...

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2015 12:25 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this problem on a few prints (all purchased from the same climate) and sometimes during rewind the film threatens to extend beyond the edge of the reel because it is loose and is unevenly wound onto the reel. My instinct is to slow the reel from which it is feeding by pressing on it gently (creating a tighter result on the destination reel) but I am afraid this might damage the projector in some way. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 21, 2015 04:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) In projection, twist film on take-up spool.
2) Rewind very slowly by hand applying pressure to left spool.
As mentioned by Paul, it sounds that the film is beginning to warp.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the cause of the warpage? Is it the onset of VS or some other syndrome.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2015 06:31 AM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
plasticizers (oils) has gone that keep the film pliable and supple.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC