8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A-1 Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A-1 Video
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if A-1 Video's Website is current and still operational?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2015 04:39 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In another recent posting, Joe Taffis explained the website had not been updated for many years; 2 years back, I tried to use the email address to see if a film was available, and it was returned as undeliverable.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 12:09 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's what I thought. Thank you Paul.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 11:04 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We,and I personally,have discussed this unpredictable outfit before.Once,in the old days,there was a guy named Alex Bartosh who was dealing in 8 mm films.I had bought from him many times and everything was O.K.After the video revolution,years later,I found out that he had become A1-Video,selling cassettes.At the bottom of his webpage he had a long list of old films.I asked him for several titles and he answered promptly that he would gather the films and let me know.Then,silence..!I asked again and again, and always the same.Prompt answer,then,nothing.
About two years ago,a friend of mine,new to the hobby,found his adress and wrote him asking for a certain title and,lo and behold,he received a film list of several pages!!! He bought the film O.K. Despite the fact that I had abused and insulted him both in my e-mails and in this forum,I wrote him as if nothing had happened and asked about a number of titles from that list.He gathered the films,I sent my payment and received the films. As he said,he had the films in boxes in his basement or warehouse and had to search for them in all the boxes. Several months after that,I wrote him again,if he had made up any new lists....silence! I wrote again a few months later....more silence! The End!!! Although I see in the film section a list of "new titles" added.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 11:07 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that websites from film dealers are never updated, with very few exceptions. As a result, I'm not really sure why they even have websites, particularly with web pages containing film lists that are years old.

Chalk it up to the idiosyncratic nature of the hobby.

[ August 22, 2015, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: John Hourigan ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 26, 2015 11:39 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann's old website (Ca:2007) is still with us:

Derann Super 8 Films

This is their old website. Their old, old website (Ca.2002) was up until recently too. This one was sentimental favorite of mine because when I first stumbled upon it and made the astounding discovery I could still buy new films, I had to stop myself from running from office to office telling people!

(...most don't seem to understand for some reason!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 26, 2015 01:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope this last reminder of the great company that was Derann, stays "live" on the web for many more years to come.

A piece of nostalgia in its own right just in the very same way are FFTC mags and second hand film lists and catalogues.

I love reading them all.

Perhaps we should archive these pages while they're still available to us all.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC