8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » John Wayne on Super 8 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: John Wayne on Super 8
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 08:37 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A chronological list of films/movies available on Super 8 which star or relate to John Wayne. Feel free to mention other titles so we have a comprehensive list. I know lot of pre 1939/ Stagecoach b westerns are out there on Super 8 but my interest was never there so I listed the ones I collected.

TL = Trailer
FL = Full Length Feature
200 400 400 3x400 4 x 400 = self explainory

The Shadow of the Eagle 1932 600
Two Fisted Law 1932 400
Hurricane Express 1932 600
His Private Secretary 1933 FL
Sagebrush Trail FL
West of the Divide FL
Blue Steel FL
Man from Utah FL
Desert Trail FL
Star Packer 1934FL
The New Frontier (1935) FL
Wings of a Wasteland 1936 FL
Stagecoach TL 400 4x400 & FL
First Rebel aka Alegheny Uprising FL
Dark Command TL & FL
Long Voyage Home TL & FL
Shepherd of the Hills TL
Reap the Wild Wind TL 4x400
The Spoilers 200
Flying Tigers TL & FL
The Fighting Seebees TL & FL
Tall in the Saddle 2x400
Tycoon 2x400
They were Expendable TL & FL
Angel & the Badman FL
Red River TL 3x400 Release German
Fort Apache TL 400 4x400 & FL
Wake of the Red Witch TL & 4x400
The Fighting Kentuckian TL and FL
Sands of Iwo Jima TL 400 4x400 5x400 & FL
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon TL ,400 and 4x400
Rio Grande TL, 400 and 5x400 FL
The Quiet Man TL 400, 3x400 and FL
Big Jim McLain TL & FL
High & Mighty TL
The Sea Chase TL
Flying Leathernecks TL 400 & 4x400
The Conqueor TL & FL
Jet Pilot TL & FL
The Searchers Rare Bootleg FL
The Wings of Eagles TL
I Married a Woman 1958 FL Cameo
Barbarian & the Geisha TL
Rio Bravo TL & FL from Germany
Horse Soldiers TL
The Alamo TL
The Commancheros TL
North to Alaska TL
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance TL
Hatari TL
The Longest Day TL & 400 (no John Wayne scenes)
How the West was Won TL and 400 ( no John Wayne sequences)
Donovan Reef TL
Mc Lintock TL & 200 Making of Movie Promo & FL
Circus World TL 4x400 & FL
In Harms Way TL
Sons of Katie Elder TL
Cast a Giant Shadow TL
El Dorado TL & 200 Promo
The War Wagon TL & 200 Promo & FL
Hell Fighters TL & Making of Movie promo 200 & FL (only in US)
True Grit TL 400 3x400 & FL (only in US)
The Undefeated TL & 200 Promo
Chisum TL
Rio Lobo TL & Promo Reel
Big Jake TL
The Cowboys Trailer & 200 Promo
Cahill TL 200ft Promo The Man who wore the Star
Brannigan TL 200 Promo & FL
Mc Q TL
Rooster Cogburn TL 400 & FL
The Shootist TL & 200 Promo
Oscar the 1st 50 Years 1978 200 presentation of Oscar by Barabara Streisand
Hollywood USA 200 & 600 talks about cinema in early 1960s
On Wild Goose 200 Home movies
No Substitute for Victory 1970 4x400 FL Documentary on Vietnam
The Duke & the General 1971 3x400 John Wayne & Jimmy Stewart on John Ford

-

[ August 22, 2015, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 12:19 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,I beat you on the FL WAR WAGON and FL WEST OF THE DIVIDE.
Thunderbird and HFE also had:ANGEL AND THE BADMAN FL
BLUE STEEL FL
DESERT TRAIL FL
THE MAN FROM UTAH FL
SAGEBRUSH TRAIL FL
THE STAR PACKER FL
WINGS OF THE WASTELAND FL
He also does a cameo in I MARRIED A WOMAN (4x400)
RIO GRANTE and FORT APACHE are also available FL
Who released HIS PRIVATE SECRETARY and THE FIGHTING KENTUCKIAN FL in 8 mm ???

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Panayotis

I knew there were quite a few pre Stagecoach Westerns out there. Private Secretary was like Angel and the Badman public domain so really anyone's guess.. Print was fair for a film that age really just for completists. The Fighting Kentuckians was much better it had a sepia tone so could have been DCR or Movieland. A lot of the feature prints came from US either Niles, Ivy or more exotic.

I will update the list with your titles just goes to show Duke has the biggest showing on Super 8 . I can only think of Laurel & Hardy Tom & Jerry Disney or Hammer as having as big a representation.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 02:47 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still,I have never seen HIS PRIVATE SECRETARY and THE FIGHTING KENTUCKIAN full features advertised anywhere.I know only KENTUCKIAN as a silent one reel cutdown.SECRETARY,as an early independent cheapie ok but KENTUCKIAN, I am sure you must have a most rare copy.Nice to have been of help!

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fighting Kentuckian was from Dane Films in mid 1980s he tended to have rare titles no one else had although quality described was an issue. Private Secretary came from a dealer in Blackpool when I enquired about John Wayne titles I bargained him down to £30 from his original £50.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 03:40 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this is of interest, but The Quiet Man is also a 3x400'

-

-

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 04:17 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Vidar. I should have typed 3x400 my typo mistake. The Techno prints were the only one's available for ages. The colour quality varied significantly between prints . I think I remember there were also Powell prints of 5x400 but most of these were black and white sound and cut the humour in the film. Feature prints suddenly became available in late 1980s from some mysterious source. This film has a almost mystical following in Ireland so it wasn't surprising that 4 collectors including myself had the feature.

Mike

Mike

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think mine is quite faded too. Not seen in a couple of years now. Time for a re-watch

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 06:17 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My full length "Quiet Man" also has some fade but wouldn't part with it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith our prints had much more colour than that. There were faults but it was similar to Flying Leathernecks in quality but not a good as the Derann trailer release. I haven't seen a print of The Quiet Man yet that is perfect film or digital. Maybe there will be a remastered Blu Ray in the future. Is your print the full length or edited?

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 07:11 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Techno 3-parter in English?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 07:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK Techno never redub for films made originally in English

--------------------
Winbert

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 06:52 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Techno prints were supplied in English . If in original boxes they had a sticker on them indicating the language so they may have done other versions.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - Full length version - Powell Films.

The BBC has the best print that I have ever seen in its "vaults".

The Bluray version is already out - Region A and region B

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 07:06 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Blu Ray any better Keith than previous versions? I was alway told Powell version was slightly edited. Funny you mention BBC what would Super 8 do without them and I am not thinking about the first suspect that comes to everyone's mind. I believe that was the source for the later Quiet Man features. Could have sourced at RTE best not to ask questions but you passed your money over and print arrived in plain box no markings etc.

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2015 01:35 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Big Jake (4x400) from Spain and i have Alamo full lengh (Italy Print) and i have full lengh Steward Granger & John wayne 1960 with Capuccine (i dont the title in englisch) from Italy and i have She Wore a Yellow Ribbon full lengh from Italy.

And it gives a bootleg from Germany from MC Q and How the west was won (the first 1,5 hours in Scope)

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2015 01:53 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Born to the West was also in 8 mm. The film with Stewart Granger is North to Alaska

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2015 12:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing full length versions of "Quiet Man" available in catalogs here in the states around 1977 and onward from Ivy Films and Hollywood Film Exchange, sold via Blackhawk and Select Film Library. The title in color and sound sold for about $300 - $400 depending on the source. Back then it was way out of range for a 13 year old boy with a $5 per week allowance which is why digests were more my speed. I could save up and buy one every other month or so.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 02, 2015 11:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be mentioned that I know of two optical sound super 8 features of the Duke ...

Stagecoach (on color stock in sepia tone)

El Dorado

In the case of "El Dorado", I have heard that a collector in the UK owns a print of this feature, and being that THAT one is on super 8 optical sound, then there is a chance that any later than 1968 DUKE films might also be on super 8 optical sound, but that is only guessing.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2015 06:07 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi,

a german collector have a optical technicolor Print from El Dorado

Ciao Andi

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 11:10 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched TALL IN THE SADDLE 2 X 400' that I recently bought...nice digest. Does anyone know who put this film out? I couldn't tell from the leaders and it was in a plain white box.

Thanks, Bill [Smile]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill

It more than likely a Mountain release but Derann did issue some prints using the mountain negatives.

Mike

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 20, 2015 01:05 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mountain negs are what intrests me in the RKO short area, they released some 200' editions, now would anyone have a catalog to show or sell? Especial on the RKO area - Shorty needs to know for his possible book - Cheers

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 01:10 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks....my print is on one reel and I don't remember a splice in it. Would the Derann version been printed with both parts together? If so then this is possibly the Derann version.

Bill [Smile]

Jack Cleveland
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 06:31 PM      Profile for Jack Cleveland   Email Jack Cleveland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Searchers sounds very interesting. Would love to lay my hands on that one!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC