8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Liquid Film Cleaner on eBay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Liquid Film Cleaner on eBay
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 03:16 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has any forum member bought any of this Liquid Film Cleaner being sold on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261994484594?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . From a glance it looks very similar to the old Derann LFC. If anyone has bought it and used it, perhaps they can let us know what its like.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 28, 2015 03:43 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "TEST ON A SMALL SECTION OF FILM FIRST" part of the ad is not really appealing.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 28, 2015 03:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd like to try it. Who knows it's origins!
Stick to what we know that's what I say.

I've still got a couple of bottles of the Derann film cleaner but never use it now. I just stick with FG now.

Derann film cleaner does a marvellous job of lifting some of the weaker pasted stripe! Ha ha. Not exactly what you want these days for these later one off prints in this day and age.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 03:58 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have used this in the past. it was okay. need an open window when applying. and did not go very far. have used much better.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 07:18 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the stuff that lifts the stripe whilst cleaning the movie. Very good for silent movies. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 07:42 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sticking with my silicone/wax mixture, I have been treating a film with VS about once a month it has had about three treatments now, I opened the film case today, I could not smell vinegar at all, so who knows?...
I also use these to clean the little places on the projector, good for getting fluff off the claw...
Dental Brush

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 28, 2015 07:48 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it could be some sort of home made or rebranded substance as the name at the top of the label matches the eBay identity.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 08:41 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, your silicone/wax mixture sounds interesting. Details please? I've got a print suffering V.S. perhaps it might help. I bought three bottles of cleaner from Derann when they closed and am now just about at the end. What are most folk using? I'd appreciate some ideas. Is CHC cleaner good?

--------------------
Dave

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 01:03 PM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried the cleaner on ebay, I think you will find this is just IPA, it certainly looks and smells like it, it will clean the film, but as far as I can tell there is no lubrication, and in my opinion not good on magnetic stripe.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 28, 2015 01:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very similar to Deranns cleaner then Bill [Wink]

[ August 28, 2015, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible stuff, I did try a bottle once from Derann and a drop landed on my table top removing the varnish,I contacted Derann and they said they've never had a problem, never used it again!!! Also do not use it on old black and white prints as it wrecks them, WD40 is a much better bet!! Just Isoprop with some sort of lubricant in, Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2015 05:25 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah IPA = Iso Propyl Alcohol! As a beer drinker I thought of India Pale Ale - not something I'd put on my films!!!!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 28, 2015 05:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably would work better though Brian especially with Derann post 2010 pasted striped prints! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2015 03:11 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some thinners at Llidl recently for thinning paint and because I had a scrap piece of film lying around I thought I would try cleaning the film and see how it reacted with it. It was 16mm B/W and it of course cleaned the film perfectly but surprisingly it did not damage the film or emulsion at all! Now as of course I would not recommend the use of thinners to clean film, it does show that you can never be sure what is contained in in some supposedly legitimate film cleaning solutions. I have also tried WD40 and found this to seemingly have no adverse effects. It makes you wonder what the ingredients of recommended film cleaners are!

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2015 08:29 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned in a previous "film cleaner" topic, Cresclean certainly smells like WD40! It certainly cleans and lubricates the film. I have noticed that the projector noise is also quieter when running films treated with it. Time will tell as to its preservative qualities. Certainly, the old Thermofilm was good in this respect. I have never had any bother with VS on any gauge in my collection, but some Super 8 prints have started to go "pink". Ken Finch.

Alastair Butler
Junior

- posted August 31, 2015 06:21 AM      Profile for Alastair Butler   Author's Homepage   Email Alastair Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I am the person selling the film cleaner on ebay, this discussion was brought to my attention by one of my happy customers, it is very similar to the Derann formula, and it does contain a lubricant, almost 300 hundred bottles sold now, with great feedback, a film club buys 10-15 bottles at a time and they think its great. It does not contain wax that can soaks into sound stripes and clogs on sound heads. It dries very fast and leaves a light lubricant that gives smooth projection. I use the cleaner myself on sound and silent films, As a test I soaked a piece of sound stripe film in the cleaner for a week and there was no damage to the film, I provide a cine to dvd service and use it all the time. Kind regards Alastair

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 31, 2015 02:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Alastair, have you tried it on pasted Polyester striped film?

Derann's was a little too aggressive with this type of film at times.

Does this fair any better?

[ August 31, 2015, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Alastair Butler
Junior

- posted September 02, 2015 06:49 PM      Profile for Alastair Butler   Author's Homepage   Email Alastair Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew, no I haven't tested Polyester striped film, was this applied with a home striping kit? or applied professionally? What was the results of the Derann cleaner? Kind regards
Alastair

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 03, 2015 03:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Alistair, what you are telling us is a little concerning then really.

Polyester prints could never be striped at home, they need large professional equipment to make up the paste and to apply it correctly from what I've read.
It is an extremely difficult process to master apparently, and as such it would concern me greatly to "experiment" with these type of late prints as for one, they tend to be the most valuable prints now due to the fact many late desirable titles HAD to be printed on pasted polyester after pre striped stock ran out, and secondly this type of stripe was always the most vulnerable from any cleaning done with the Derann film cleaner, which you say, is close in make up to this one being offered.

The effects of using the Derann cleaner on some of these type of prints can result in sections of the stripe being lifted or worse still, inadvertently removed!
This is especially applicable with the tiny .4mm wide balance stripe.
If someone's prized print of say "Independence Day" were to be ruined by using these types of cleaner, I am sure that individual would be distraught to say the least.

May I suggest you try to validate this cleaner on a small amount of this type of stock to ensure your customers can relax in its use with ALL types of film stock.

--------------------

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2015 06:09 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TRY CRESCLEAN

--------------------
James Wilson

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2015 07:27 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, Who sells Cresclean?

Alastair Butler
Junior

- posted September 03, 2015 01:04 PM      Profile for Alastair Butler   Author's Homepage   Email Alastair Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Andrew for your suggestion.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 03, 2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cresclean is available from Classic Home Cinema. 250cc for £8.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice I thought it might be related to Cresta products. Remember they used to run a cleaning and striping service. I think they sold 2.22 cleaner.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC