8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best Westerns Available on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Westerns Available on Super 8
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 08:20 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A selection of the best westerns available on Super 8

Stagecoach the John Ford classic available in a number of lengths from 400 to full feature. Print quality varies a great deal but the polyester prints Derann produced despite a blueish tint are the sharpest in terms of print.

True Grit 3x400 a satisfying mini feature plus there is an elusive full feature version of Duke's Oscar winning portrayal.

Last Train to Gunhill already much discussed on the forum already the feature print of this Anthony Mann western with Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn. Great story and cracking print although there are issues with some prints going pink.

Winchester 73 classic Jimmy Stewart western movie on events revolving around perfect Winchester 73 rifle. Nice feature prints available a little grainy but they do turn up on dealer lists occasionally.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon the second of John Ford’s cavlary trilogy available as a 400 and 4x400 mini feature. Originally released by Mountain later prints were issued by Derann. Good colour on most prints and mini feature does give a

Shane The only western ever released by Derann in feature length. Print was superb and well loved western by fans.

Rooster Cogburn Released by Universal 8 in 400 and Full Feature length. Print quality is virtually identical with hint of pink on most copies. Feature print is masked as opposed to a academy size on 400 digest. Digest itself is well edited and follows story fluently.

High Noon available in full feature but any prints I have seen show negative wear but nice western if you are a Gary cooper fan.

Magnificent Seven 2x400 available in flat and scope versions. Issue with negative wear but great cutdown and very repeatable

High Plains Drifter 2x400 mini feature from Universal 8. Clint Eastwood western from 1970’s. Some prints have tended to go pink and even the good ones have a level of fade from the time they were bought new. Sharp print and concise digest that covers the story well.

Dodge City 3x400 mini feature or full feature. The mini feature is on par with Errol Flynn Robin Hood. The feature print initially Red Fox then Derann was washed out and not as sharp in terms of print. The mini feature wins hands in terms of quality and repeatability.

They Died with their Boots On available as a 2x400. The Custer story told by Warner Bros with Errol Flynn. A surprisingly good cutdown for such a long film. It tells the story well and contains most of the action scenes from the film. A later Derann release, which was sold as a 2x400 so that you didn’t have to edit together yourself. Very Good print and sound with less variations in quality.

Guns for San Sebastian spaghetti western filmed in Mexico with Anthony Quinn & Charles Bronson starring is available as a 400 and 3x400 MGM release. A rare example were a edited version improves a movie. The feature is rather pedestrian but the mini feature contains the best scenes in terms of action and a concise story. Print varies greatly both being soft and pink in a lot of cases. A good print is fairly sharp and has a fair amount of colour in it but still tends be very faded.

Northwest Passage classic MGM western starring Spencer Tracy A neat 400 digest not perfect but usually with good colour although admittedly a bit soft in print terms.

Gunfight at OK Corral 300 (roughly 14 minutes) on 400 reel the Derann extract of the gun fight sequence and the end of the movie. Classic John Sturges western with excellent print and sound as you would expect. I think this was a tester to see if there was demand for the full feature. Released after Shane but apart from myself I am not aware of too many prints being about.

My Darling Clementine 400ft digest from Ken/Fox. Another nice digest with cutsdown the feature story to a very repeatable 17/18 minutes. Print is very good and I can’t remember much if any commentary. I think this was also released as a feature by Classic/Germany later in the day.

Jesse James another 400ft digest from Ken/Fox. Superb digest with very good colour with covers the story well. Some minor commentary.

Bandolero 400 digest from Ken/Fox. A minor western from Andrew V Mclaglen stable with Jimmy Stewart Dean Martin and delectable Raquel Welch. An shorter version which enhances
a feature which would be nearly called a b movie. Colour is good and it is very repeatable with great Jerry Goldsmith score present in a number of scenes.

Shenadoah 2 x200 digests from Universal 8 which is the fight sequence when the army come to conscribe the sons and the battle and return of the youngest son called “Boy” Neat Jimmy Stewart western with two unrelated sequences which somehow work. I picked up new black & white sound copies new at convention one time for less than £5. I think it was Derann. Hoped to find a colour version at some point but they never surfaced so either rare or collectors have held on to them. Print is very good but there is a slight variation in grading between reels.

[ September 04, 2015, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 08:50 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ivy Films release of HIGH NOON is terrific picture quality. It is full length on 5 x 400ft. As said I can see on my copy there are some white negative marks and splices in the neg but overall well worth having.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 09:37 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steven

The copies of High Noon I have seen have either done the rounds with a number of collectors owning them or been projected through unforgiving projectors.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 04, 2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scope feature of my name is nobody.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 04, 2015 02:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job mentioning that one, Tom, as I was about to mention it. One question though, was there an actual complete version of it, or the 80 or so minute version in scope that I happen to have.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 03:06 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a full feature version of My Name is Nobody released. Was it Marketing? Other titles I didn't mention would be Once upon a time in the West 3x400 and full feature, Shalako 4x400 from Walton and there is a full feature of The shooting starring Jack Nicholson . In the nearly westerns you could also have Gone with the Wind historical drama, Calamity Jane musical western ,Way out West comedy western and Westworld science fiction in a western background.

[ September 04, 2015, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 03:58 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Bandolero 400 digest, High Plains Drifter 2x400, Dodge City,
They Died with their Boots On 2x400,and reel one standard 8 sound of Stagecoach...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 04, 2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Derann excerpt from Gunfight At The OK Corral. It is a well done reel with nice sharp print and good color, and a snatch of that great song by Frankie Lane. Makes a great little film show opener.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2015 02:46 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

my goodness I had no idea all those rare titles had been available on 8mm!! Some real "gems" there. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2015 03:09 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rio Bravo full feature was also released. German print I think ?. Saw this once and print quality was stunning.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Once Upon A Time in the West" was also released as a full feature ... and in scope!

--------------------

Michael Mc Dermott
Junior

- posted September 05, 2015 01:47 PM      Profile for Michael Mc Dermott   Email Michael Mc Dermott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rooster Cogburn was also released in a 400' Scope version. Have never seen Once Upon A Time In The West in super 8 scope full length around, but I do have a flat full length version, and I have to admit that Claudia Cardinale still looks gorgeous in the flat version.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 05, 2015 01:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, i do believe someone has mentioned the full feature of My name is nobody, i wouldn't mind getting my hands on that one. The 4 x 400 footer is a good un though.
Would also love to get a copy of the scope 400 footer of Rooster Cogburn, the only other 400 footers of this film i see are all faded. I would assume the scope one's are to.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2015 02:28 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael, It does exist, because I have it, in scope, very nice German print, sound was converted by Francisco, who did a really great job.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2015 04:58 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have 400ft versions.
True Grit on Kodak SP but good colours, though deep blacks are a little brown now, a remarkably sharp and grain free print, I think from Europe.
Once Upon a Time in the West, never had very good colour, contrasty and grainy. USA Print on Eastmancolor but maximum blacks seem still to be black.

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2015 05:58 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have more full lengh Prints on Super 8.

The Big Country-Scope
Three Violent People
The Magnificent Seven
Big Jake
Vera Cruz-Scope
A Fistfull of Dollar
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo
North to Alaska
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Alamo
Tonka
Rio Grande
Run at the Arrow
The Wild Bunch-Scope
Massai-the Big Apache (Burt Lancaster)
Django
Un esercito di cinque uomini

All titles in german and full lengh on Super 8, rare to find
alot of Prints comes from Spain, Italy and germany

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2015 07:33 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds Great Andreas. Lots of rare titles there. What's the quality like on Big Country and Vera Cruz? Are they recent releases?

[ September 09, 2015, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 09, 2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep up your hope Tom, as my scope 400ft "Rooster Cogburn" has perfect or vintage color, so, they're out there!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 09, 2015 10:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have never seen Once Upon A Time In The West in super 8 scope full length around
Here is the screen made by Gian, one of our member for this particular title:

-

- \

-

More screen shote can be found on this post: Once upon a time in the west

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 10, 2015 03:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our list of westerns comprise of
Allegheny Uprising feature version
Bandits of dark canyon
Bugles in the afternoon
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid,
Distant Drums Std 8 feature
Four faces West
Gone with the wind full feature
Hannie Caulder 4 x 400 footer flat
High plains drifter 2 x 400
Ken Maynard/ Flaming Lead
Ken Maynard/ Secret assignment
Ken Maynard/ the phantom rides the trail
Last train from Gunhill feature
Magnificent Seven 2 x 400 footer Scope
Making of Paint your wagon LPP print
Making of The outlaw Josey Wales
McMasters 600 foot, originally 2 x 400
My name is Nobody Scope 4 x 400
Major Dundee 400 footer
Once upon a time in the West 3 x 400 foot. (would love the full scope feature)
Rails into Laramie 200 footer
Rio Grande 5 x 400 foot feature
Run of the Arrow full feature colour
She wore a yellow ribbon 4 x 400 foot colour
Shenandoah The 2 200 footer in b/w
Stagecoach full feature
Thunder across the plains feature version
True Grit 3 x 400
War Drums over the plains feature version
Winchester 73 Std 8mm full feature excellent picture and sound

And still looking for more especially Rio Bravo but only with good colour. Fistfull of Dollars, in fact, almost anything. [Wink]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2015 04:32 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good selection Tom. Question for anyone. Did Custer of the West feature on Super 8 the Robert Shaw version.? I think I remember it bring sold as a 5x400 version on Perry's lists years ago but can't remember whether it was magnetic or optical print.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2015 06:57 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GONE WITH THE WIND is a western?
[Smile]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2015 03:18 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph I would have classed GWTW more as a historical drama set in a civil war background. In my eye it doesnt fit the classic western mode but I know where you are coming from in your comment.

Mike

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2015 05:57 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Newell---the there are german bootleg Prints, and the quality is great.

The Prints comes from the 70er/80er Years

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2015 07:18 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Country and Vera Cruz are interesting titles. I had heard of Rio Bravo and My Darling Clementine surfacing from German 8mm market but not those titles. Obviously somebody thought there was the demand for them to be released as full features.

As discussed, on other threads. Westerns never got released by Derann despite requests as Derek's opinion was they never sold in big numbers to justify the cost. That is why the majority of their releases were Hammer Horror or Science Fiction.

I know the Eastwood spaghetti trilogy have surfaced with prints coming from Italy Did they ever get re released in better quality by the German dealers?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC