8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Has this ever happened to you? Bulb!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has this ever happened to you? Bulb!
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 15, 2015 03:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight i was watching a film on my Elmo 1200HD. Some of you may be aware of my lens fungus question not too long ago.
Well, that's been sorted, i put a poor contrast down to that problem without giving any thought at all to the bulb simply because the one that's in there is only a few months old.
However, during a cartoon tonight the picture got dimmer and dimmer until the bulb went out.
Upon removal i was well annoyed to see that one of the pins had broken off and was lodged in the bulb holder.Luckily with the aid of a pair of good long tweezers i got it out. Nothing appeared to be wrong with the contacts so i cleaned them up anyway with a little emery cloth and some electrical cleaner. Obviously i put an old cloth under to stop any bits going into the machine or film path then cleaned out the entire machine using compressed air.
Popped in a new bulb and is well and my films are brighter than i can remember, almost like a new lens has been put in.
Is this something any of you have encountered before? its a first for me but looking at how shiny and clean the pin still on the bulb is compared to the burnt out broken one.
I've checked to ensure there is no arcing or sparking in the contacts & it all seems OK. [Confused]
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2015 03:25 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
Never happened to me but I can imagine how puzzling and annoying it was. Obviously the lamp pin got hotter and hotter before it eventually failed with the volts applied to the filament dropping progressively leading it getting dimmer before the circuit was broken. Either the lamp holder and pin made a poor contact but this is unlikely as I would expect to see blackening on the lamp holder or it was a manufacturing fault inside the lamp where the pin connects to the filament. I would say this was the most likely from your pictures. Your new lamp should be OK if the holder is all right. Run a long film and check all is well after an hour's operation. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

--------------------
Paul.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2015 05:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a simple fix. See past solutions, very well documented on here by myself and many many many others.... No Drama with this one!!

Oh for the power of research!!!!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 15, 2015 05:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Awful Elmo Sockets

The epilogue to this is you need to buy a decent replacement socket: I bought a cheapy and it died and took a lamp with it in about 6 months. After that I bought one recommended by the guy I buy my lamps from. Based on the experience I actually bought a couple of spares too.

While you are at it, make sure to clean the rear element of your lens as often as the front. I was astounded the difference this made.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 15, 2015 06:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is exactly my experience Tom. Read here:

Strange problem, bulb lose one pin after several time uses

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 15, 2015 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007492

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 16, 2015 08:07 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideal, thanks everyone. [Wink]

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem, but not with the pin. My bulb turned into various colors: yellow, blue, black and burned out. I believed that somehow air got into the bulb, and blew.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 16, 2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where you can get the complete socket with metal bracket so i can avoid having to do any modifications?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 16, 2015 03:05 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Classic Home Cinema may have some Elmo spares.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC