8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cleaning inside the Elmo 1.1 lens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning inside the Elmo 1.1 lens
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 12, 2015 12:07 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Elmo 1.1 lens which I found has dirt/fungus inside. I want to clean it with lens cleaner but won't take any risk before getting your suggestion.

So from the scale 1-4 how do you think is easy (or hard) to disassemble and reassemble this lens?

The scales are as follow:

1. Is very easy, even a person with zero knowledge can do (just like opening the bottle cap);
2. Not that hard if you have a bit of knowledge and patience. You can use tools that normally available surround you;
3. Becareful, you have the knowledge but you must have specific tools to do this;
4. Totally a job for an expert only with the right tools (just like cleaning the scope lens, it has to be calibrated after reassembled)

So tell me what is the scale.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 12, 2015 02:10 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, i am watching this to as i have exactly the same problem

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2015 02:18 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, accidental reply [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say between 3-4 Winbert, unless its really obstructing
the picture on the screen I would leave well alone. The locking
ring will take some care to remove, and probably glued in place. You can get the tools to do this on the net, but having looked at them myself, i would not use them on your Elmo lens. One slip up and the front lens would get scratched beyond repair. Steve carter had the same problem or similar, but did get it apart to clean, but sadly dropped one of the lens on the floor which then broke into a few piece's. I just looked a mine, if I was taking it apart I would custom make a spanner to fit the two lugs out of
a turned tube, similar to a box spanner but with lugs on it, you could get some turning force on it then to do it in one go.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 12, 2015 04:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
a bit like a "C" spanner then Paul?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2015 04:57 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SORT OF ANDREW, A LONG TUBE WITH THE SQUARE EARS TO ACOMMODATE THE SLOTS IN THE LOCKING RING, SAME DIAMETER, YOU NEED TO GET SOME TORQUE I IMAGINE TO GET THE RING LOOSE, SLIP OFF ONCE AND THE DAMAGE WILL BE DONE, JUST WOULD NOT TRUST THOSE ADJUSTABLE TOOLS ON THE NET, THEY LOOK LIKE A SET OF DIVIDERS I HAD AT SCHOOL MATE, OR TRAMMELS.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2015 06:27 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find cleaning the 1.1 lens quite easy if you have the correct tools like the one l have attached below from ebay.
Plus l use surgical gloves so not to place finger prints on the glass lens.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Lens-Repair-Spanner-Wrench-Opening-Open-Tool-10-120mm-for-Canon-Nikon-Camera-/400760837164?hash=item5d4f35142c

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 12, 2015 08:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes thanks for the reminder there Jason. i knew sonewhere i had seen a specific tool for doing this job.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 12, 2015 09:47 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had to clean my Elmo lens once. It was pretty simple as long as you keep your work area very clean and work methodically. Good luck!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 12, 2015 11:03 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys,

I once opened a scope lens and apparently after reassembled I have to calibrate it to make it perfect 2 x 1. I forgot to make a mark on the barrel/lens hood before opened it which create disaster now.

In a front lens like 1.1, do I need to calibrate after cleaning it or any position can work OK?

--------------------
Winbert

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2015 02:33 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, there will be no need to calibrate the lens but make sure you have the correct side of the lens facing the way it was when taken apart.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD LUCK WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE TO DO WINBERT.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2015 12:10 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one of these
Pro Lens Repair Spanner Wrench Opening Open Tool from Ebay excellent quality, but be careful with scratches.
Recommended.

--------------------
James Wilson

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC